Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2018, 09:29   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Danfoss Spares

I have had extremely good l luck with my two Isotherm SP reefer boxes. They are now going on 17 years old and never a serious problem. They both have tiny refrigerant leaks which means I have to give them a tiny shot of R132 every other year, but apart from that, they just work and work.

This summer I will be far from civilization and will be much more dependent on the freezer than usual, since we will be weeks at a time away from any shopping.

I'm wondering if I might not ought to lay in a spare Danfoss controller unit -- the weak point of these things, isn't it?

Any other tips?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 09:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Danfoss Spares

Hi Dockhead .

Don't think your Danfoss controller will be your trouble point but you could always pick up a spare. I have had customers that have removed all of the Isotherm proprietary control devices that fail. At 17 years old and already leaking , maybe its time to have it repaired or replaced before you take off. Your refrigeration system is the last thing you want to crap out on you when you are away from any repair facility.

Regards John
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 03:10   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
Hi Dockhead .

Don't think your Danfoss controller will be your trouble point but you could always pick up a spare. I have had customers that have removed all of the Isotherm proprietary control devices that fail. At 17 years old and already leaking , maybe its time to have it repaired or replaced before you take off. Your refrigeration system is the last thing you want to crap out on you when you are away from any repair facility.

Regards John
Thanks for this. But what else is there besides the Danfoss "brain box"? As far as I know there is just this and the thermostat dial controls inside the boxes, no?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 06:53   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Hi Dockhead , Sorry I thought you may of had the unit with the ASU unit .

Sure, grab a spare Danfoss controller and a new thermostat . Also if you are heading to warmer climates then you are in now I would put a low draw 120mm fan directing air onto the compressor .

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote