Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 14:44   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Danfoss Electronic Module - Help Needed

Captn 1, I already know you have probably shot yourself in the pocket book by checking the refrigerant volume. You are now added to my large list of technicians from Hell. If a Danfoss BD compressor will not run it is because it is told not to by electrical problem unless someone has tampered with refrigerant causing high amperage overload. Low refrigerant or even no refrigerant will not prevent this compressor from running. Air in refrigerant or too much refrigerant will trigger an amperage overload. Volt meter reading of 13.5 volts at module is of no value in determining what the fault detecting microprocessor inside module sees unless you have SUPERMAN’s eyes. Yes I will test your module free but if you want it returned send $20 to cover insured Priority mail. And yes you can try one of my new modules at no risk to you for 30 days except you pay ONLY shipping, even if your problem damages my module.

We know your unit has a Danfoss 3 pin variable speed compressor it is not always possible to troubleshoot a generic well designed system that conforms to Danfoss standard proven application engineering specifications. No one can give you advice on troubleshooting your unit without knowing the manufacture and model of the unit. Many companies using Danfoss BD compressors have what I believe are design flaws on one or more of their units or the installation application is wrong when originally chosen. Resent troubles with machines from EZKold, Adler Barbour, Frigoboat, Isotherm, and RParts each require a different approach to the right troubleshooting methods. It is also important to know if unit is air or water cooled and if non Danfoss gadgets like electronic thermostats or speed controllers are installed on a refrigeration system before anyone can offering help.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 15:06   #32

Thank you for your reply. I'm certainly no expert and just working off my personal experience over the years (perhaps that could be bad), which is what took me down my path of troubleshooting. I'm certainly not a technician, but am a licensed boat captain, so I prefer to understand an issue personally and be able to repair as needed, because there are no mechanics/technicians at sea. I kept an old Alder Barbour limping along for 15 years on my own boat before I replaced it with this new design that I self installed. It went into the same spot as the old unit, is of the same size, and has chugged right along since installing in 2011 till it failed recently. It is an Alder Barbour CU-100 air cooled. No extras added. Thank you again and sorry if I irritated by checking the refrigerant; I was just at wits end with everything else seemingly checking out till I read about these modules apparently having issues.
Captn_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 15:18   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Captn 1

To rule out the No1 most common issue (electrical on your boat...even though no one wants to admit or accept it) have you ran temp power wires directly from the positive and negative terminals of your battery to the positive and negative spade connectors on the back of the electronic module? If the 3 flash error still happens then you either have a dead controller or a cell in your battery could be dead or dying. (this assumes your charge is right of course and you haven't overloaded the compressor by overcharging). The electronic module is much more sensitive than your volt meter so you can't rely on that.

I take these types of troubleshooting calls 7 days a week and it's a constant that no one wants to think they have a voltage issue and think I'm trying to blame a problem on their boat. But then Zha-zam...their unit works when their ships electrical is bypassed and then I don't look like such an idiot in their eyes...ha ha ha

Good luck.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 15:32   #34

Thank you as well for your reply sv Third Day. I have checked the electrical and would have no problem admitting if it were that, but understand you are going over all the possibilities. I have 6 group 29 house batteries (~700 aH of house batteries). The fridge runs directly to one of the batteries primarily, but I did move it to a second for testing and isolated each of the batteries when testing. In general all 6 house batteries are grouped together and feed a Xantrax inverter/charger and are replenished by 420w solar when not plugged into shorepower. The same batteries are able to run the microwave on the boat without a problem. I did not run a new wire and will try that tomorrow, but it is marine grade solid copper romex that I've never seen fail (not typical strand wire that I've seen corrode), so I doubt that is it, but will certainly try and report back tomorrow.

Thank you again.
Old 09-03-2015, 16:52   #35

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_1 View Post
it is marine grade solid copper romex
That is a new one for me. Can you post a URL or name or something I can search on?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 17:29   #36
Marine Service Provider

Captn 1, Normally with a three LED code I do not follow my standard tests on thermostat and fan ground also re-powering direct from battery as it sound like you have already done.

Adler Barbour did add a poorly designed unnecessary circuit board to your CU100. This circuit board is not structurally or electrically sound for dynamic marine loads. Are you still seeing a three LED code? If so, Remove 15 amp fuse from board in stainless box and look for heat discoloring of fuse contacts. Then look in back of board for overheated printed circuit top and bottom. See TECH TIP #1 Picture on my web site at http://www.kollmann-marine.com Overheating of 15 amp fuse holder may indicate crack in hidden copper strip behind fuse holder. If you see the damage in picture at bottom that is a bad Ground. A three flash code if refrigerant has not been tampered with causing an overload is likely a poor ground at one end or the other. Best way to confirm bad ground is to run a jumper wire direct from Danfoss module minus terminal to battery ground post. This jumper wire will also eliminate the circuit board ground problem and maybe fan ground. If problem is the circuit board Tech tip 1 will show you how to bypass board. If you find you need to bypass fuse make sure there is a 15 amp fuse in power wire or a 15 amp circuit breaker.

Please advise what you find as it may help the next boater.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 17:39   #37

Thank you for your tip Mr. Kollmann. I will try that tomorrow and will report back.

colemj, I incorrectly typed what was on my brain. It is marine grade insulated stranded is what I meant to say and not the typical auto parts store stranded that will corrode in a marine environment, which I see alot of on vessels. Thank you for asking, so I didn't mislead any others that come across this thread.
Old 09-03-2015, 19:07   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I did not run a new wire and will try that tomorrow, but it is marine grade solid copper romex that I've never seen fail (not typical strand wire that I've seen corrode), so I doubt that is it, but will certainly try and report back tomorrow.
This had me jumping up and down in my computer chair until you corrected the post. Ah well, an easy fix down the drain.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:53   #39

Here's my update...

New wires run directly to two different known good batteries with no change.

I followed Mr. Kollmann's tip1 fully all the way to bypassing the board in the stainless box with no change and still a 3 LED blink.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:57   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_1 View Post
Here's my update...

New wires run directly to two different known good batteries with no change.

I followed Mr. Kollmann's tip1 fully all the way to bypassing the board in the stainless box with no change and still a 3 LED blink.
It's time to order a new controller.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:00   #41

Thank you all for your assistance! It is much appreciated. I will get an order in today for the controller.
Old 16-03-2015, 08:23   #42

Just an update that I sent my control module to Captan Kollmann. He confirmed that it is bad and has me a new one on the way, so we'll assume my case is closed unless I post back about it. Can't wait to have refrigeration back. Have a great day everyone!
Old 22-05-2015, 23:54   #43

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hi Richard
Finally got around to installing a new thermostat and the problem of the compressor cutting in and out has gone. Glad it was not the electronic module
Thank you again for your help.
Old 10-04-2017, 23:08   #44

Hi
Last week I got the same problem. The fridge stop cooling. I make the led check. There are 3 flashing. Can I be sure that with a new controller the fridge will get to a new life?. Maybe somebody have the electronic diagram of the controller? By the way from were can I get a new controller for a good price? I found controller for 250$
abhakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:59   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhakim View Post
Hi
Last week I got the same problem. The fridge stop cooling. I make the led check. There are 3 flashing. Can I be sure that with a new controller the fridge will get to a new life?. Maybe somebody have the electronic diagram of the controller? By the way from were can I get a new controller for a good price? I found controller for 250$
Hi Abhakim
Has anyone serviced or tampered with your system recently? It would also help to know more information about the system itself .

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote