Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2011, 14:30   #46

Re: Cruisers: Pressurized Fresh Water ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
If I were to do away with the water heater, then the water pump would get moved closer to the tanks and most likely under the galley sink. Where the pump was previously, it wasn't much of a bother (way back in the engine room). But if I were to move it, the noise would be a factor.
The thing with the water pump is that it will be 1:00am and everything is dead quite, and you go to get a cup of water and BBBBZZZZZZZZZHHHHHNGNNGBBZZZ starts up as the pump kicks in. I might just be petty about it, but the sound irritates me.

I dumped the hot water as well. We scored one of these that we use for showers and it honestly works really well. We can take it into the head for indoor showers (which we avoid) or in the cockpit (preferred). In the hot months you can just leave it on deck and it's warm by the afternoon, otherwise just 2/3 cold water and 1/3 water off the stove.

Pump-up Solar Shower
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 14:31   #47

Really not trying to be all "this is the only way to rig up your home" type of thing. Just what worked for me.
Old 15-11-2011, 14:31   #48

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So....

versus:

easy choice imo

ciao!
Nick.
Solar shower on a sailboat or pressure shower on a glam power boat? Easy choice: sailboat everyday of the week and twice on sundays.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 14:44   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
BeeeUteeful

Tellie I have admired your posts for a long time, but if you find this Photo
Quote:
:

more beautiful than Nicks photo of the transom shower you have been spending too much time installing watermakers.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 17:10   #50

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

"I have yet to read a blog, book or article from any cruiser that I would consider at my budget level have a hot water shower on their boat."

Well now you have! Dont know if I would have replaced the heater on my 20 year old 33 ft. boat if it were broken but I might well have. Believe me, I am not a gold plated cruiser in a delux mode. But I sure was happy to have the cockpit sprayer putting out hot water to clean myself up after replumbing my head 3 days out from St. Martin. To each his own but I never say never about anything.

Another thought. Some day you will sell the boat. Most buyers expect there to be hot water.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 17:23   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruisers: Pressurized Fresh Water ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The thing with the water pump is that it will be 1:00am and everything is dead quite, and you go to get a cup of water and BBBBZZZZZZZZZHHHHHNGNNGBBZZZ starts up as the pump kicks in. I might just be petty about it, but the sound irritates me.

I dumped the hot water as well. We scored one of these that we use for showers and it honestly works really well. We can take it into the head for indoor showers (which we avoid) or in the cockpit (preferred). In the hot months you can just leave it on deck and it's warm by the afternoon, otherwise just 2/3 cold water and 1/3 water off the stove.

Pump-up Solar Shower
Rebel.... thats the beauty of the little inline pumps....
Its not a BBBBZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
More a gentle whirrrrrrrrrrr

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 22:24   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
"I have yet to read a blog, book or article from any cruiser that I would consider at my budget level have a hot water shower on their boat."

Well now you have! Dont know if I would have replaced the heater on my 20 year old 33 ft. boat if it were broken but I might well have. Believe me, I am not a gold plated cruiser in a delux mode. But I sure was happy to have the cockpit sprayer putting out hot water to clean myself up after replumbing my head 3 days out from St. Martin. To each his own but I never say never about anything.

Another thought. Some day you will sell the boat. Most buyers expect there to be hot water.
Not trying to argue, but we use our little bug sprayer and it really only takes 5 minutes to pour some hot water from the stove top in there. On hot and sunny days it gets warm enough just by catching rays. Works great.
Old 15-11-2011, 22:46   #53

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Not trying to argue, but we use our little bug sprayer and it really only takes 5 minutes to pour some hot water from the stove top in there.
+1, I've also been very happy with manual pumps, a tea kettle, and a pump up sprayer for showers.

The ultimate is pressure salt water, to make it easier to do dishes.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 05:36   #54
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
we use our little bug sprayer and it really only takes 5 minutes to pour some hot water from the stove top in there. On hot and sunny days it gets warm enough just by catching rays. Works great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
+1, I've also been very happy with manual pumps, a tea kettle, and a pump up sprayer for showers.

The ultimate is pressure salt water, to make it easier to do dishes.
See, we're all different and I am certainly in the "spoiled brat" category because that all sounds like a bad camp out to me. Pour hot water from the stove into a container with cold water and empty that over your head?! I really don't think this is the way most people do this and I think 0% does this while living in a house. It's typical jungle survival method imho

No, I'll step into a steaming hot shower (just like I did when living ashore) and after that have a nice chilled drink with ice, pop some ba-pau's from the freezer into the microwave and enjoy them in the soothing air-conditioned salon

pressurized salt water?! :bang head:

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 06:20   #55

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

Quote:
See, we're all different and I am certainly in the "spoiled brat" category because that all sounds like a bad camp out to me. Pour hot water from the stove into a container with cold water and empty that over your head?! I really don't think this is the way most people do this and I think 0% does this while living in a house. It's typical jungle survival method imho

No, I'll step into a steaming hot shower (just like I did when living ashore) and after that have a nice chilled drink with ice, pop some ba-pau's from the freezer into the microwave and enjoy them in the soothing air-conditioned salon

pressurized salt water?! :bang head:

ciao!
Nick.
lol that would be nice. But I'm a sailor, not a luxury yacht passenger.
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 06:47   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
lol that would be nice. But I'm a sailor, not a luxury yacht passenger.
You mean to assume that I am not a sailor?! The days that sailing was tough and mean are way behind us, it's just that not everybody understand that yet

ciao!
Nick.
Old 16-11-2011, 06:56   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You mean to assume that I am not a sailor?! The days that sailing was tough and mean are way behind us, it's just that not everybody understand that yet

ciao!
Nick.
Or possibly the FUNDS to achieve IT.....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-11-2011, 07:01   #58

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

don't get me wrong, I'd love to have all those niceties. But I am young, dumb, and without much cash...so I need to embrace the salty side of things.
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 07:04   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yes, that's true. I didn't have any hot water nor shower aboard for 17 years and this was in cold Holland. I just did not have the money, nothing to be ashamed of because I was on the water at least

Funds are not a factor in being a sailor or not. Rich and poor sailors get along very well, because the souls are the same. It's just a shame that there are many posh boats with rich owners that are not sailors at all (and do not get along with sailors) and they confuse the matter.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 16-11-2011, 07:24   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

don't get me wrong, I'd love to have all those niceties. But I am young, dumb, and without much cash...so I need to embrace the salty side of things.
Greetings from Old, Dumb and without much Cash....

Tags
water