Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-11-2011, 08:45   #61

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Cruisers: Pressurized Fresh Water ?

With solar panels as cheap as they are now I don't think many people would chose to omit their pressure water system. You could leave the pump there and just use your foot pumps, don't even bother to rebuild it if you're not planning to use it and just use it for showers if you want to. Ours only uses 1-2 AH a day and the only thing that uses less is the propane detector. I bought 380 watts of China's finest solar panels recently for $630.00 delivered. They keep up with everything including the fridge if we're just a little careful.

Old 16-11-2011, 09:13   #62
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Tellie I have admired your posts for a long time, but if you find this Photo
more beautiful than Nicks photo of the transom shower you have been spending too much time installing watermakers.

Thanks for the compliment Noelex and then taking me to the woodshed.

I should come up for air more often
Tellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 09:55   #63
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i am not much for the bikini clad female--i prefer the older gentleman (cough) in the cockpit of the sailboat......

as for the water pumps--i dont mind either loud or quiet--loud ones just let you know without stretching eardrums when there is a leak--and there WILL be one, sooner or later. my pump is so quiet it takes silent boat to hear. i was aboard a steelie with a louder one--was good to know when the leaks happen as is imperative to repair same before water runs out when you are sailing. at a dock , it isnt as important, if you keep bilge pumps on.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 13:06   #64

Boat: in between boats

Pressurized system draws very little juice. It is not about the juice when out cruising. It is about water tankage. You will not use hot heater once you untie from dock. Eliminate it. Foot pumps when not in marina. Let's not forget to Simplify...

Hot shower is a five gallon sun shower hung in the sun. Deck shower.

Get a five gallon hand pump garden sprayer. Heat water on stove, fill tank ,pump and spray away. Sort a like, I'll spray your back if you spray mine sort of thing. Available world wide for nearly nothing. Carry two.

Water makers need service after so many gallons. Best to be as conservative with the fresh stuff as you can.

Simplify
Old 16-11-2011, 13:36   #65
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb
You will not use hot heater once you untie from dock.
Sort a like, I'll spray your back if you spray mine sort of thing. Available world wide for nearly nothing. Carry two.

Water makers need service after so many gallons. Best to be as conservative with the fresh stuff as you can.

Simplify
So, how to do dishes without hot water? Laundry? If you're gonna heat that all on the stove, you better bring 200 pounds of propane. I thought you guys want to save money?! A water heater with heat exchanger plumbed into the engine (and/or genset) cooling system gives you hot water for free which is much better than trading propane for that.

Water makers need service when they are not used. The more you use them, the longer they last.

If your girl is pretty enough and you give her a garden insecticide sprayer for her shower, you're soon single hand sailor :-)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 16-11-2011, 14:10   #66

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
See, we're all different and I am certainly in the "spoiled brat" category because that all sounds like a bad camp out to me.

I prefer the polite term for spoiled brat-- hedonist.

Cruising takes a willing suspension of disbelief, to choose to opt out of many of the comfort and conveniences of the modern world in order to have some experiences that only make sense within a weird aesthetic.

So I believe we are all a bit nutty, to start with. And details like running water, or not, are just a matter of degree. We are still doing something as stupid as living on a boat.

For me, these details are really determined by a complex juggling of maintenance time, budget, and wife. And there's no way to compare that with other people.

I think it's just important for new people to know that there's a huge range of lifestyles out there, and that many people have found that going simple works well for them.

To be honest, most of our "simple" choices are driven by laziness. Things broke, and we then learned that we didn't really care enough to fix them, so we arrived at a simple boat by default.
Old 16-11-2011, 14:13   #67

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So, how to do dishes without hot water? Laundry?
c'mon. You said you paid your dues before your life of luxury. Surely you can't be so dense to think that it is impossible to clean a dish without hot water.
Old 16-11-2011, 15:42   #68
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith

c'mon. You said you paid your dues before your life of luxury. Surely you can't be so dense to think that it is impossible to clean a dish without hot water.
Call me dense, explain how it's done. I used hot water made with propane burner and tea kettle.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 16-11-2011, 15:45   #69
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I didn't read all the thread but...........

It's a 1975 boat and I take it this is the first replumbing job. To me you redo it (right way with good stuff) the same as it. No one says you have to run the pressure pump, but it's nice to have when you want to. No one says you need hot water, but it's REAL nice when you want it.

I think in the long run you will be pissed at yourself whenever you want either pressurized or hot water ................ long after any sweetness you experience at the start by saving a few dollars!
Old 16-11-2011, 15:53   #70

Boat: Tartan 30

I definitely waste a lot more water using pressurized vs. manual.

I've been considering switching to a foot pump. but right now I'm thinking about adding a second tank. So, I think I may plumb the second tank to a foot pump, and use it exclusively for washing,etc... since that's where most of the waste comes from. And just keep the pressurized water to run through a decent filter and use for drinking only.

Now if I can just find space for another tank...
Old 16-11-2011, 16:00   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just add a foot pump to your system and leave the pressure pump off when you want.
Old 16-11-2011, 16:26   #72
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

It's a 1975 boat and I take it this is the first replumbing job. To me you redo it (right way with good stuff) the same as it. No one says you have to run the pressure pump, but it's nice to have when you want to. No one says you need hot water, but it's REAL nice when you want it.

I think in the long run you will be pissed at yourself whenever you want either pressurized or hot water ................ long after any sweetness you experience at the start by saving a few dollars!

Big ol BINGO!
Tellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 19:22   #73

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

Pressure pump ($90-100), hotwater heater ($290-700) and associated plumbing don't strike me as a 'few dollars' if 'done the right way'. They strike me as another anchor and rode, or a storm jib.

OP has said he is on a budget. Eliminating a lot of little, 'would be nice' items is a good way to stay on budget.
Old 17-11-2011, 04:45   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Everyone has a budget. Not doing things right isn't the way to stay on a budget, it's the way to spend more to redo it! And since the post is about asking for opinions; mine is to do it right and be happy for years instead of weeks.
Old 17-11-2011, 05:43   #75

Boat: Tartan 30

Having a 'budget' is different than not having an extra $400 to spend on something that a person might consider a luxury. That is, if that person wants to go cruising anytime soon...

I've cheaped out on a lot of things. 90% of which have turned out to be just fine. I'd like to make upgrades in the future. But these things work well enough to get me where I want to go. For example, my cheap solar setup. If my $40 controller and $80 solar panel get me through the next year or two (which I'm confident they will) then it will have been money well spent. I can upgrade later when I have the money. If I never have the money, then I'll do it again when necessary.

The pressure pump was cheap enough (had to replace the 37 year old pump), but I will definitely be skipping the hot water heater for the forseeable future.

It was cheaper for me to buy a new jabsco electric pump, than it was to buy a foot pump and replumb stuff. So I went with the electric pump. From my perspective, a foot pump is 'doing it right'. But I did what cost the least at the time. I'll add a foot pump later when I have the 'extra' money to spend....

Foot pumps are not much cheaper than electric pumps, if at all... So, it's really not about price (unless you're re-plumbing everything to accomplish it). It's also not about the electrical usage, or the 'luxury' of having it, its about the water usage on a smallish boat with smallish tanks.

If you're tanks are large enough to give you showers, and everything else, then go for it. But for a 'budget' setup, go with what you have, or whatever will get you to you're goal the quickest/cheapest. Upgrade when possible.

If I saved up enough to do every single project the 'right' way. I'd be working on this boat for the next 3 years. Instead, I'll happily risk the possibility of wasting a few hundred dollars (total), or simply doing without, in exchange for heading to my next destination as soon as possible.

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: