Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2018, 07:56   #1

CruiseRO vs Rainman

I'm trying to decide between the CruiseRO and the Rainman watermaker for my trip to the Sea of Cortez. I plan to purchase a Honda 2000 Generator shortly so that will be the same between the two units.

I have a Tartan 37 and don't have an extra through hull for the intake, but am getting hauled out within about a month and could have one installed then.

Does anyone have experience with both units and could provide recommendations or thoughts? Both units seem similar in terms of performance.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 08:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
CruiseRO vs Rainman

Customer service is paramount to me, above most anything.
Try calling each ones customer service this weekend and see if you get an answer, and who answers. Is it someone that can make an immediate warranty decision, or someone that will take down your info and write up a ticket?
It really, really helps to have a phone number to a person that knows the system intimately and can advise as to how to install, or what is going on, when it doesn’t do what you think it ought to.

I think I’d buy the Honda 2200, I think same price, but more power.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 08:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45
Re: CruiseRO vs Rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Customer service is paramount to me, above most anything.
Try calling each ones customer service this weekend and see if you get an answer, and who answers. Is it someone that can make an immediate warranty decision, or someone that will take down your info and write up a ticket?
It really, really helps to have a phone number to a person that knows the system intimately and can advise as to how to install, or what is going on, when it doesn’t do what you think it ought to.

I think I’d buy the Honda 2200, I think same price, but more power.
Excellent response...

I will add one thing.. one of the options you mention is Australian.. The other one's owner is IN the Sea of Cortez.
Old 29-11-2018, 08:33   #4

The benefit of the Rainman is being portable. You don't have to permanently install pumps and filters, etc. The downside is also it being portable -- you have to store the "suitcases", to operate you have to setup the seawater intake, discharge and product water. I've also seen more "permanent" installations too.

My friend uses the Rainman on his Tartan 3700. He keeps the pump and membrane in the aft cabin, and drags out to operate.

My wife and I are also headed to the Sea of Cortez this winter (Tartan 3500). I am installing the Spectra Ventura 200T. it is a bit of a challenge to shoe-horn the parts, run electrical and hoses throughout our 35' boat. I am going to stop in Ensenada and have a dedicated thruhull installed.

I went with the Spectra (hopefully) to avoid using the generator. 12v gives us flexibility to run using batteries, solar, generator and engine.

Back to you question, if I were to go 110v model, I seriously considered the Cruise RO , though Rainman is nice, support is excellent, price is competitive -- overall a great product.

What are your plans for the Sea of Cortez?

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 11:41   #5

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I have no experience with the rainman but we have been using a CruiseRO system for the past 3 years for all our eater needs and we love it. Rich, the owner, provides superb customer service and is really knowledgeable about the subject. He doesn't just make decisions based on what will make him money, he makes decisions about his products based on what people want and justifies every decision with actual real-world experience of what works and what doesn't.

Another thing that is great about his system is that because it is basics!my just a collection of nonproprietary parts it is very user-maintainable. The only problem we have with ours is that the boost pump failed after it sucked up a plastic bag in Indonesia. I was able to simply substitute it with an old domestic pressure pump that had a broken pressure switch. A few months later and we're in Madagascar and still haven't been anywhere near somewhere that parts for a proprietary system would have been available. Definitely a plus.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 12:38   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

As to customer service well the owner of cruise ro is now days home ported in la paz and can be seen at the local taco cart most afternoons.
I have no personal experience with his watermaker but have installed several of his companies refer systems. Top notch customer service.
Old 29-11-2018, 13:14   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I have been using a rainman Watermaker in the Bahamas for a while. I was able to leave the pump portion in an aft locker and I just pull out the hoses when needed. I do carry the filter portion on deck when I use the Watermaker. There are different options for power source (12 volt vs 120/220 bs gasoline power) and different membrane units of different size, output, and weight. I have found the service to be excellent with the USA distributor. For me the big decision factor was the simplicity and off the shelf parts. No computers etc. one on/off switch and a simple valve. Although these can be installed I am using it as a portable system. When near home I don’t need it and I can simply take it home and not have to worry about freezing damage etc. carrying up and storing the two parts is some work, but a lot less work than building in a unit I think. My system is the 120 v 37gal/hour unit. Works as advertised. I’m satisfied.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 13:26   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post
I'm trying to decide between the CruiseRO and the Rainman watermaker for my trip to the Sea of Cortez. I plan to purchase a Honda 2000 Generator shortly so that will be the same between the two units.

I have a Tartan 37 and don't have an extra through hull for the intake, but am getting hauled out within about a month and could have one installed then.

Does anyone have experience with both units and could provide recommendations or thoughts? Both units seem similar in terms of performance.
I guess I don’t understand as these are different animals. One is a portable unit and one is a fixed install. The question to me is whether you need a portable unit. If not you aren’t choicing the right two manufactures to compare
Old 29-11-2018, 15:41   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
CruiseRO vs Rainman

My install wasn’t trivial, it was every bit as difficult as installing a generator, however I was determined to do the install so that I didn’t lose any storage space, and to make it as easy as possible to use and service, took quite a lot of thought and planning, thankfully as it was actually several modules, they were easy to mount in different places throughout the boat.
I even ordered the optional valving and control panel.
To put my Cruise RO into operation, I open the the thru hull and sit by the control panels, flip two switches, operate a couple fo valves and that’s it.

I fear that a portable one would take up storage space and be a royal pain to drag in and out, however I can see it as a real bonus if I thought I was buying another boat or for a charter etc.

The reason I went away from twin Honda generators run in parallel was they were a real pain to put away and haul out, where the built in Diesel, I push a button. Built in makes life easier, after you go through the pain of an install that is.

We make water twice a week on average and use probably 200 gls a week, showering every day and washing clothes once a week. If I were dragging the thing out of storage twice a week, that would be a pain.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 18:13   #10

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I would suggest buy local, both I believe are good products.
Old 29-11-2018, 23:39   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Rainman

Both systems are high quality and would work well for you.

I would not be too concerned about the "Rainman is only portable" views though. Just because it's in a blue box doesn't mean you can't install it. About half our customers install the system like a traditional watermaker. If you really don't like the blue box or are extremely tight on space, it can be easily removed, like a few of our customers have done. Then you have a minimum footprint watermaker where both the lift pump and high pressure pump are mounted on either side of the same motor. We believe it's always good to have options to install it or keep it portable.

Of the forty plus dealers we have around the world, none are in the Sea of Cortez. It would need to come from our nearest dealer in San Diego.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 01:42   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My install wasn’t trivial, it was every bit as difficult as installing a generator, however I was determined to do the install so that I didn’t lose any storage space, and to make it as easy as possible to use and service, took quite a lot of thought and planning, thankfully as it was actually several modules, they were easy to mount in different places throughout the boat.
I even ordered the optional valving and control panel.
To put my Cruise RO into operation, I open the the thru hull and sit by the control panels, flip two switches, operate a couple fo valves and that’s it.

I fear that a portable one would take up storage space and be a royal pain to drag in and out, however I can see it as a real bonus if I thought I was buying another boat or for a charter etc.

The reason I went away from twin Honda generators run in parallel was they were a real pain to put away and haul out, where the built in Diesel, I push a button. Built in makes life easier, after you go through the pain of an install that is.

We make water twice a week on average and use probably 200 gls a week, showering every day and washing clothes once a week. If I were dragging the thing out of storage twice a week, that would be a pain.
Storage of the rainman depends on the boat.

Mine is semi mounted. I don't take the membranes or the pump outside. I store the main parts of unit in a cabinet in the front shower, fits perfectly.

I've mounted the membranes in their case on the bulkhead in the head next to the shower.

I have fresh flushing toilets therefore had a spare through hull which I've attached the rainman intake to.

I run the product and excess water line through the hatch above the head, product water goes straight to tank.

This works well for me.

Regarding service, I give Rainman 5 stars and I must say I'm not that easy to please, generally I think most businesses provide average to below average service.

The rainman instruction manual should be the standard other business's use when designing their own manuals, big writing, pictures and simplicity, designed so the average lazy cruiser (me) that dosent read manuals can't screw it up.

If you choose you could easily I stall the unit permanently, it's a watermaker in a case, no reason you couldn't I stall it like other permanent watermakers.

Simple unit that dose exactly what it claims to do backed by very good service both at the point of sale and after purchase, real gentleman.... Well done.

I have no reason to believe Richs product isn't good, I've never used it therefore can't comment.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 03:32   #13

Boat: Boatless

I used a CruiseRO daily for 4 years. It is an excellent unit. Its big advantages are Rich answering the phone and that the components such as the boost pump are easily obtained in relatively remote locations.

The downside is that the membrane unit is too long, at almost 4ft, to easily install in a cramped engine room and the manual is poorly written.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 04:36   #14

Boat: Nordhavn 47

I also can vouch for the functionality and quality of the CruiseRO. The only caveat I would add is that it needs to be mounted carefully as it can be loud even with a generator running. It makes a lot of water though and works fine off the inverter when motoring. You can carry spares for all the ancillary parts like boost pump, membranes, etc.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 19:59   #15

Boat: LAGOON 400

I have Rainman, we are happy large users of water close to 100 L a day. Watermaker is fully installed but easily inspectable. Helps with leaks detection that can chew thru your hull if leak in wrong spot. I also added buffer so can make water underway. This is issue for cats. No need to carry 600 L with me on passage but only 150 max. In worst - was making water in 3m waves at 9 kn.

Did not go for RO because Rainman simpler installation, inspection and maintenance.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser