Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 18:17   #1

Cruise RO 30 - multiple problems

I have a Cruise RO 30 watermaker that has me scratching my head. It has worked well for months. I was always getting a flow rate of .55 gpm and about 270 ppm. Last week while at anchor everything changed. I am now getting a flow rate of .4 gpm with about 380 ppm.

The exact day that all of this started another weird thing happened. In the past my low pressure pump was always at zero at startup. I had to close the low pressure valve it almost all of the way to get to the 10 psi to start the high pressure pump. Now when I start the low pressure pump it starts at zero but then jumps to 25 psi even with the valve completely open. It will not go below that at all.

Rich at Cruise RO has been helpful but says these two are not related at all and I need a new high pressure pump. It is a triplex plunger pump by General Pump Company.

Hoping that someone may have another idea before I pay a stupid amount to get a new pump shipped to Bahamas.
Outsideworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 19:11   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Cruise RO 30 - multiple problems

Listen to Rich
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 19:20   #3

Listen to Rich
johnny AoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 19:40   #4

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Listen to Rich.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 21:48   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

OMG never before have I seen such a consistent consensus!

I have to admit just looking at the title, I was asking myself, "why doesn't he ask Rich?"

8-D
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 22:22   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I think that you should decide which caliber handgun you will shoot it with after you trash it with your mantus/rocna/sarca/spade/cqr anchor after placing it on your radar screen with an attached AIS while holding a sextant while using LED lighting powered by 12, 24, 36, 48 ( but not 725 KV ) volt system.

But if that does not appeal to you I would suggest that Rich has offered the lowest cost option.

Listen to Rich!

(I just could not help myself)
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 22:42   #7

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Rich never goes for the buck. He goes for honest solutions. Painful isn’t it?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 00:16   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

How old is the unit?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
How old is the unit?

Thanks Paul for asking. The unit was installed in 2015. I do plan to “listen to Rich” but also wanted to do my best to troubleshoot before spending &2000. We are in the Exumas, Bahamas so getting anything shipped is nearly impossible.
Outsideworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:43   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsideworld View Post
Thanks Paul for asking. The unit was installed in 2015. I do plan to “listen to Rich” but also wanted to do my best to troubleshoot before spending &2000. We are in the Exumas, Bahamas so getting anything shipped is nearly impossible.

I can recommend an excellent Freight Forwarder, very efficient.- John Perry 321-750-8800.

Almost forgot .... Listen to Rich!
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:08   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

If you're handy get a pump rebuild kit and repair it yourself. General has the kits on the shelf.
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:28   #12

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
I think that you should decide which caliber handgun you will shoot it with after you trash it with your mantus/rocna/sarca/spade/cqr anchor after placing it on your radar screen with an attached AIS while holding a sextant while using LED lighting powered by 12, 24, 36, 48 ( but not 725 KV ) volt system. While capsizing your catamaran and simultaneously having the keel fall off your monohull!

But if that does not appeal to you I would suggest that Rich has offered the lowest cost option.

Listen to Rich!

(I just could not help myself)

Oh yes, Listen to Rich.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:50   #13

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

This thread is both hilarious and an endorsement.

Stuff breaks/goes pear-shaped. You're getting good advice for your unfortunate and unlucky situation. Listen to Rich.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:32   #14

Boat: Taswell 43

We've had issues with our CruiseRO 30gph watermaker from the start....the problems have always centered around the boost pump. We now have 3 of them, and I have multiple rebuild kits (ft end and back end). I've tried to rebuild just the ft end (valves kit) but it never seems to work, so now I just assume I need to put both kits in. The watermaker/boost pump pressures also seems to be somewhat sensitive to dirty filters, and act carbon filters with to small a micron rating......we bought some rated at 0.5mic (now replaced with 5.0micron filters) and they made for some strange pressures during FWW. BUT....in ALL CASES, I've called or emailed Rich, he's set me on a path that had always worked, and I trust him for the correct answer to an issue. Like's been said...listen to Rich!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:33   #15

Boat: 2002 Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsideworld View Post
I have a Cruise RO 30 watermaker that has me scratching my head. It has worked well for months. I was always getting a flow rate of .55 gpm and about 270 ppm. Last week while at anchor everything changed. I am now getting a flow rate of .4 gpm with about 380 ppm.

The exact day that all of this started another weird thing happened. In the past my low pressure pump was always at zero at startup. I had to close the low pressure valve it almost all of the way to get to the 10 psi to start the high pressure pump. Now when I start the low pressure pump it starts at zero but then jumps to 25 psi even with the valve completely open. It will not go below that at all.

Rich at Cruise RO has been helpful but says these two are not related at all and I need a new high pressure pump. It is a triplex plunger pump by General Pump Company.

Hoping that someone may have another idea before I pay a stupid amount to get a new pump shipped to Bahamas.
Had a similar situation.
I wouldn’t second guess Rich.
That being said;
380 PPM is OK according to world health organization.
That’s about the best I get in the Exumas with my Cruise RO system (30 gal/hr).
My flow however remains @ 5. Gal/min.
Cruised 2 years ago with 500 PPM (had spare parts but didn’t want to mess with it over there). Both my pumps have gone for 3 seasons and still going.
Also how old is your test meter? Had to replace mine was getting bad readings.
Cruise RO & Rich are the Bomb! Highly recommend them.
I would not worry about 380 PPM, my tap water in Cape Coral Fl is 400+
Keep an eye on it and have a back up plan if if craps out altogether
Panacea2183 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise