Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2009, 09:07   #1

Cruisair Only Blowing Heat

Howdy, first post here and I need help

It has gotten warm and when I switched the thermastat to cool, it still only blows heat, i can hear the compressor running.

someone suggested "stuck reversing valve"

How do I unstick.

thanks in advance.

Jay
Captain Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 06:06   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, Captain Jay.

Welcome to CF. Hope you enjoy it here!

I'm no A/C tech, so can't help--sorry! My approach would be to get out the hammer and give it a whack! I'm surprised others haven't offered advice. Be patient, it's rare that an opportunity to offer an opinion goes wanting around here...
Old 28-04-2009, 07:44   #3

Good Morning Capt. Jay,

In order to troubleshoot this properly, I will need the model number of the unit. Does it use digital controls? If so, what are your temperature readings on the display? Please be sure that the set point is lower than room temperature for cooling, and when you switch it over to the cool mode, that it does show a "cooling" indicator.

If all this checks out, what you can do is go to the reversing valve solenoid, and remove one of the wires from the solenoid while the unit is running. The unit running in heat, even though you have it in the cool mode, could mean a shorted relay in the logic board. If you remove the wire and the board is the problem, you will hear a very loud "swoosh". This sound is the gases inside the unit changing directions. Be careful removing the wire from the solenoid, because that is line voltage.

If you check all this, and the unit is still running in heat, then it could possible be a stuck reversing valve. Sometimes, you can free it by hitting it w/ a wrench or a hammer as suggested. If you free it, you'll also hear the swoosh. If this is the case, most likely it will stick again, and I would recommend having someone replace the valve eventually.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. jacob.prince@dometicusa.com
DometicTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 10:09   #4

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
AGREE THAT THE VALVE IS THE PROBLEM. iF THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN IN HEAT MODE FOR A WHILE THE REVERSING VALVE CAN FREEZE UP. MAY NEED TO BE REPLACEDS IF BANGING ON IT DOESN'T FREE IT UP.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 14:52   #5

It is most likely the reversing valve coil,turn power off disconnect the coil wires and test the coil resistance with a ohm meter.If open circuit replace.Greg
ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 07:43   #6

The coil is good, because it's running in the heat mode. That shouldn't be the problem. It's either going to be a stuck reversing valve, or the board's relay for the heat mode is shorted, causing it to give power to the revering valve all the time.
DometicTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 13:18   #7

It works

It is cooling, must have been a stuck reversing valve, it is working perfectly now.
Old 29-04-2009, 16:10   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good news, Captain Jay! But we all want to know, how did you fix it? Was it the hammer?????
Old 29-04-2009, 17:08   #9

secret incantation

I used a secret vodoo incantation to excercise the reverse valve demons out of the unit.

No really, it just started working.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:49   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Cruisair Only Blowing Heat

So, I was researching this thread to help me with my Cruisair AC problem. I was back to giving my reversing valve a tap after replacing my thermostat without noticable success. I heard no "swoosh" or change in outcome with my taps, but while fiddling about, I did move the thermostat knob from cooing to heating. To my surprise my unit functions with strong cooling when the thrmostat is dialed to the heating side. Can I assume that I reversed a wiring connection when I installed the new thermostat? I'm thinking of just leaving it to function well and with the knowledge that warmer is cooler and cooler is warmer on the dial. What do you think? Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Tags
cruisair