Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 11:45   #1

Cruisair not cooling ?

Hello everyone, Im here in Guatemala where I had left my sailboat for the past 9 months. I just got back 2 days ago and started to work on the boat and fixing stuff to get ready to go and I notice a trouble with my Cruisair AC unit. Last may when I left it was working perfectly.and I started it today and I noticed it wasnt cooling as it should. It would shoot cool air but not cold. Basically doing the same exact thing either on fan or cooling mode. I cleaned the raw water strainer and the air filter but nothing as changed. Water is coming out just like it ever did. I also noticed a hot metal smell when I went on the engine room where the compressor is. I touched it and it was very hot. I know it is supposed to be hot but I cant compare with before cause it always worked just fine so I never had to go and look for something wrong.

So if anybody have some idea about what could be wrong it would be really appreciated .
Jeannietheboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 11:48   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Cruisair not cooling ?

The obvious cause is often the correct one - refrigerant leaked during layup
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 12:29   #3

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Start capacitor possibly, but it could be the compressor is shot. Capacitor is cheap, the compressor not so.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 12:33   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Do you have an ammeter either on your panel or handheld? If so do the amps go up considerably when the compressor comes on? If not the compressor may not be coming on. The compressor being hot might not be much as shell temps should be 165/170 degrees however it does indicate that you have power to it. The only way to really know is to put gauges on it.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 13:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

How warm is the seawater condenser loop that wraps around unit this is a good indicator of how clean condenser is inside. not the amount of water coming out. Amp draw will tell you if there is enough refrigerant. Excessive compressor heat can be caused by a start run relay not changing to run or faulty start run capacitor. When unit is turned on do you hear the speed change?
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 13:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
Start capacitor possibly, but it could be the compressor is shot. Capacitor is cheap, the compressor not so.
I was told that if the capacitor is defective... it is visible... it bulges out... I took the cover off.. and my tech guy was right... I replaced the capacitor and voila..!
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 13:39   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Primitive test I know, but if you put your hand on a compressor you can feel whether it’s running or not.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 15:08   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreez View Post
I was told that if the capacitor is defective... it is visible... it bulges out... I took the cover off.. and my tech guy was right... I replaced the capacitor and voila..!
If capacitor is not bulged it still should be tested with an ohm meter Google for a test vidio.

The normal concern for hot refrigeration AC compressor and no cooling is to determine if it changed made the transition from start speed to run speed.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 18:23   #9

Boat: EndeavorCat MkII 30

In addition to the obvious, Our Cruiseair 16K needs to be flushed periodically with an acid wash.
Chris Stanley <seakistservices@gmail.com> fixed ours in Rio Dulce.
rthompsona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, cruisair