Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 20:03   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Crappy situation - head broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Get a service kit. Pull the toilet. Dismantle same. Inspect parts. Compare service kit parts to parts in toilet. If one is obviously defective you have likely found your culprit. Clean internals. Replace parts with service kit parts. Reinstall. If it works - have a nice rest of your vacation. If it doesn't, get a new toilet.
Have not sailed those waters for a very long time, but you should consider that it isn't always possible to "get a service kit". Sure, it would have been good foresight to have one on board, but he doesn't.

So, lets try to help him where he is... somewhere near Desolation Sound. Doubt if there is a West Marine outlet there!

Jim
Old 10-08-2014, 20:59   #17

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Still gonna have to dismantle the toilet. Who knows, maybe you can find out what broke and fix it. I hope he saved the part that he pulled out of the thru hull. Maybe a strap and some bolts'll hold it together until he gets to a boat yard.

I am not familiar with the area. Is he so desolate that no one is about? Maybe a call on the radio will stir up someone who as a service kit. Some parts from different toilets may be adaptable. He reached CF, didn't he?
Old 10-08-2014, 23:58   #18

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Still gonna have to dismantle the toilet. Who knows, maybe you can find out what broke and fix it. I hope he saved the part that he pulled out of the thru hull. Maybe a strap and some bolts'll hold it together until he gets to a boat yard.

I am not familiar with the area. Is he so desolate that no one is about? Maybe a call on the radio will stir up someone who as a service kit. Some parts from different toilets may be adaptable. He reached CF, didn't he?
Actually a good idea. I carry a spare rebuild kit for my toilet (based on the idea that they always break while at sea nd no marine supplies store in sight). Take a walk around the marina and ask if anyone is carrying a rebuild kit - or send out a call on the VHF.

The good news is that now he's learned to carry a rebuild kit.................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 00:37   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

A quick search on Google suggests that there are chandlers in Comox and Nanaimo.

Assuming you have cell phone reception I'd give the closest a call and check that they have a complete bolt in replacement pump. If it were me I'd ask if there is anyone there with the experience to fit it.

I'd arrange for the repairer to meet the boat when I got there, probably watch while he spent a couple of hours doing it then I'd find a very nice restaurant and have a really good dinner with all the trimmings.

And yes I do carry a replacement overhauled pump (Lavac) and the bilge pump would also work if I'm desperate. Been there, done that (fortunatly while I was in marinas).
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 00:48   #20

Quote:
Assuming you have cell phone reception I'd give the closest a call and check that they have a complete bolt in replacement pump. If it were me I'd ask if there is anyone there with the experience to fit it.
I just had a look at mine, Bora, and it requires undoing and redoing 6 screws and two hose clamps if you replace the whole pump. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it, and I'd be very wary of letting anyone else work on my plumbing.

And a couple of hours? Be serious! This might be that elusive ten minute job that everyone talks about!

But I thought that he was a bit further north than Nanaimo and on a nine day holiday going back to chase parts would be a real downer for me.

Jim

PS How are the whales doing in Platypus Bay?
Old 11-08-2014, 00:50   #21

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Well, according to his post he was trying to pump out. Ann, the middle of nowhere is always somewhere these days, with 400,000 boaters in BC. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just asked a simple question.

Sewage Disposal Sites at Marinas and Harbours | Georgia Strait Alliance
I see that there are more pumpouts than a couple of years ago, but you'll still need an enormous holding tank or plan to spend your vacation rushing around transiting to the 3 pumpouts in Desolation Sound.

Reasonable infrastructure first, then lambast.

Nice use of statistical lies. Yes there are likely 400,000 boats. Vast percentage are small fishing/runabouts. Of the small percentage that are cruising boats most spend 50 weeks a year at the dock with no one on them.

Seems that the government is more in tune with reality for a change, they have a list of no discharge bays with poor flushing, recommend a pump out when possible, otherwise discharge in a good flow area:
Boating and Marine Activities
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 00:54   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I want to add to what Jim wrote: all the housings are plastic into which we screw the funny little s/s screws VERY CAREFULLY, so as to not split the plastic.

A.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:06   #23
cruiser

I have the replacement pump and rebuild kit on board, we switched to electric heads three years ago. It's too bad you're 9000 miles away, I've been hanging onto them just for this sort of occasion.

I know the situation seems dire, but remember a bucket works well as a spare until you reach your next destination. Don't let the toilet ruin things by making an unnecessary detour.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I want to add to what Jim wrote: all the housings are plastic into which we screw the funny little s/s screws VERY CAREFULLY, so as to not split the plastic.

A.
Ah ha! My Admiral has touched on an important point in this maintenance procedure: The screws that are supplied by Jabsco are double helix. That is, they have two seperate threads running their length. Not sure why they do this, 'cause it has lead to a lot of split plastic housings.

At any rate, I've learned (the hard way) that with those screws, when reinstalling, use minimal torque. If they don't seem to want to go in easily, DO NOT force them. Back them out carefully and let them rotate one half turn after coming free. You can feel a little "bump" as the threads re-engage 180 degrees further along. Then retighten. You will likely find that they go in far more easily, and you are good to set them to their final torque. I'm not sure why this works, but guess that there are asymmetries in the rolled threads, and that one set more closely matches the threads in the hole. I split a few of the plastic housings before twigging to this process... an expensive lesson!

Good luck, whosoever tries this method... works for me!

Jim
Old 11-08-2014, 07:32   #25

I'll add to the "don't screw too tight" group. I didn't cause that problem when I last serviced my toilet but have done so on other plastic thingies.

And, yes, a bucket is a suitable, albeit unpleasant, alternative to a functioning throne. A carved and decorated cover/seat could go a long way to amuse the Admiral. I doubt she would be up for peeing in the cockpit scupper - I have "heard" it is easy if you are a guy. I would be careful in a seaway, tho. Hard to lash a chamber pot to the cabin sole. Least ways I would think that - never had the pleasure myself.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:49   #26

Years ago when our son was still in diapers, I provisioned the vessel for a week out in the wilderness that is the green bay arm of Lake Michigan. Not the city, the bay that it is named for - or is it the other way around? Anyway…

I thought I was being clever and bought the discount disposable diapers. Oh, contraire, mon ami. We ended up at my favorite anchor spot sheltered from a long hard blow and I found out that one shouldn't scrimp on such things. I watched, with growing unease, the dwindling supply of these necessities while noting that the weather conditions were showing no signs of abating.

We were down to our last 2 diapers and I was gathering materials needed to make some jury rigged alternatives all while ducking the withering glances from the Admiral. As a last ditch effort, I got on the VHF and called out to the half dozen vessels anchored at this island. What relief I felt when I had a call back from a motor vessel which, it turned out, was anchored 30' away from us. I explained the problem and, second miracle, this older couple had a package of diapers left over from when the grandkids had visited the year before. As you may imagine, we were move than relieved. This gracious couple declined any payment but did accept some coffee and our heartfelt gratitude.

The moral of this story is - get on the horn. The boat right next to you may well have what you need to get you (ahem) moving in the right direction again.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:03   #27

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

First, remove the joker valve for cleaning and inspection. If the rubber piece that was removed from the seacock was something accidentally dropped in the head, it could have temporarily blocked the flow. Pumping then created back-pressure which, once high enough, forced the joker inside-out, disabling the pump. Simply clean and turn the joker right-side out, replace. No spare parts needed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:19   #28

=== Simply clean and turn the joker right-side out, replace ===

+1

Plus, you become familiar with the device and more comfortable doing repairs while away from services.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:45   #29

If the Joker isn't jammed and you have to wait for parts, use a bucket!
Does BC require holding tanks now days?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:22   #30

Boat: Bristol 35

use a bucket till you're home- then go with a composting head. Simple and should be legal everywhere- I believe- please someone let me know if it's not.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head