Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2012, 13:08   #1

Boat: Cape Dory
Crappy Improv Pump Question!

Okay,

Here's the pickle:

Boat has a 40gal holding tank. Full. No overboard pumpout fitting (only fittings for marina pumpouts). No marina pumpout facilities anywhere nearby.

Here's the plan:

Make up a hose / pump / hose, with some alligator clips off of the pump to attach to the battery, and drop one end in the holding tank inspection port and the other overboard. This will require a pump which can self prime and which can lift the $**t about 5' to clear the companionway and combings.

Questions:

What is the cheapest pump I can find that will handle the job?
Does it need to be a macerator / pump?
Anyone else dealt with a similar situation -- am I missing a better solution?

TIA
-M
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 13:28   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 41
Re: Crappy Improv Pump Question!

We had a similar situation. We had an overboard y valve, but no way to pump out the holding tank except with a pump out facility. We wanted to be able to empty the tank while well offshore, so my husband got to thinking on the problem, and came up with a solution that was easy and cheap. It did require some hunting around for some deals, but Hey, it's boating! Aren't we all scavengers at heart when it comes to our boats? Hope the basic idea will help you out with your situation.
here's the link:
Follow the Journey: Boat projects

It's the April 21st entry. Scroll down a bit for it.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 13:45   #3

I like that Martha. Thanks!

Do you find that flushing the pump with seawater is sufficient to make it "storable" afterward?

-M
Old 13-01-2012, 13:47   #4

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Pretty common problem. Once you get it empty this time get a macerator installed with a Y value then you can control this in the future. There are tons of places to cruise that do not have pump out facilities.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 13:55   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Yes. Granted, we flush for a verrrry long time, because I hate even the thought of poo left in the hose. We first started using simple green through the hose as we pumped it clean, but after the first time that I forgot to bring it up on deck and it got stowed with just the flushing, we stopped wearing ourselves out over it.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 14:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
Pretty common problem. Once you get it empty this time get a macerator installed with a Y value then you can control this in the future. There are tons of places to cruise that do not have pump out facilities.
Okay. I get the concept and I have thought it would be great to have, but I've never worked out the logistics of the installation.

Our head is forward. At the head is a Y valve for overboard or holding tank operation. Holding tank is aft. The hose from the Y valve to the holding tank is probably 15-18' (you think I'd remember after replacing it last year . . .). The pump out fitting is above the holding tank in the cockpit.

So, where would you place the macerator pump and additional Y valve? Aft by the holding tank (the Y coming off of the pumpout hose) and running to a new through hull?

TIA
Old 13-01-2012, 14:23   #7

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo

Okay. I get the concept and I have thought it would be great to have, but I've never worked out the logistics of the installation.

Our head is forward. At the head is a Y valve for overboard or holding tank operation. Holding tank is aft. The hose from the Y valve to the holding tank is probably 15-18' (you think I'd remember after replacing it last year . . .). The pump out fitting is above the holding tank in the cockpit.

So, where would you place the macerator pump and additional Y valve? Aft by the holding tank (the Y coming off of the pumpout hose) and running to a new through hull?

TIA
I am trying to remember mine. You do not need another thru-hull, just use the existing direct overboard one. We have a Y valve just above the holding tank that leads to the deck fitting or the macerator. The macerator line then goes to a simple Y at the tru-hull. We left alone the Y valve between the head and the holding tank or thru-hull. Just make sure you don't have the Y valves in conflict such as both going to thru-hull but it's not a big deal unless the thru- hull gets jammed up.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 15:41   #8