Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2009, 17:59   #31

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotJesse View Post
If you could lower your favorite beverage several hundred meters down into the ocean, you could cool it way down, even at the equator (just theory, not tried it!)

My father & grandfather used to do this back in the days before fridges were commonplace on small boats and ice was not easily available (I'm taliking 1930's thru to the 70's..

In Tasmania (42 deg South...) the water temp at 5M would be about 10 degrees in summber I guess - any way a lot cooler relative to the ambient air temp...

The bottles were lowered down to the bottom on a fishing lines for an hour or so and pulled up as required. Meat was kept in a "meat safe" on deck.
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 20:16   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
What's interesting about this thread is how much how much misinformation and downright ignorance there is about beer.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 20:58   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
If you drink beer as a cold refreshing drink then colder is better, downside being that you lose the flavour but with most beers there's little flavour to them anyway so really no downside.

But if you drink beer for a taste experience ( meaning not the bland insipid common type) then you want it around 12 celsius (54 F) or even slightly warmer. For that, the sock might get it close.

But this, like anchors and the "can production sailboats actually float?" question, is a highly debated topic and one where personal preference is king.
In hot weather working hard on a boat, "taste experience" be d*mned, in my humble opinion, although I must say that "cold and refreshing" does not absolutely require that the beer be of the tasteless rice-based American type. Red Stripe will do just fine. Well chilled, please sir!

Our boat has handy well in the cockpit table, with a drain into a scupper. We can make a lot of ice with our separate freezer, enough to fill that well with ice and a dozen cans of frosties. Yum!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 21:16   #34
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
i feel sure there must be some way to use those small metal canisters of Nitrous to chill out a brew...

Rig up a jar large enough to slip the beer in with the dispensing valve on it to accept a charge. crank down on the whippet and voile! chilled out!

oh wait, my bad... that wouldn't meet your parameter... not free! sorry.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 21:23   #35

I like the fertilizer idea as in amonia (I think) droped in water will get real cold. After 9/11 buying and carry'in this stuff may get some looks from the MAN but does any chemists have an opinion. If its not an all day drunk, three week crossing taking a large bag of this may work for sun downers and as you go your waterline will also drop.
Irwin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 21:25   #36

I mean your waterline will rise.
Irwin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 21:26   #37
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Of course, you could always build THE JET POWERED BEER COOLER
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 22:18   #38

In Southern Africa and Australia - canvas water bags are common place those picture below are purely for water. The ones for beer cans are a cylindrical shape with a tap at the bottom - COOL beer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back water bag1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	12200   Click image for larger version

Name:	desert water bag2.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	12201  

Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 03:36   #39
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Kimberly Cool

Cooling Beer for Free eh; then perhaps you should be aware of the Kimberly Cool concept.

Yep, its free and applies specifically to beer: place beer anywhere that will cool it below current sunny air temperature, e.g. in the fridge, in a wet sock, in a hole dug in the ground, under the vehicle, under a shady tree etc etc etc.

When it has dropped a degree or so, it is Kimberly Cool and ready to drink. The actual number of degrees it has dropped is inversely proportional to one's thirst.

For the those who are not familiar with the Kimberly region of Oz, it can be best described as the hottest and most remote area in Australia (in the NW).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Beer