Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 02:13   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Since you’ll never be sending fuel to the engine from the converted tank (only to bilge tank, which supplies engine & has a fuel return), you won’t need a new fuel return line, and gravity should work.

If this tank is the same material as the other water tank (likely?) that’s leaking at a welded seam, it’s probably not extra low carbon S/S (316L/317L). The reason low carbon S/S is used in fuel tanks is to mitigate the problem of corrosion in welded S/S (intergranular corrosion of welds and/or stress relieving).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:16   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Can You-Should You-Build Your Own Fiberglass Tanks?
Ken Hankinson’s ‘Practical Sailor’ article discusses various aspects of Fibreglass Fuel Tanks.
Goto ➥ http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...glasstanks.pdf

See also Section 7.0 “Fuel Systems” at Construction Standards for Small Vessels - Transport Canada #TP1332E
Section 7.0 - TP1332E - Construction Standards for Small Vessels - Marine Safety Publications - Marine Safety - Marine Transportation - Transport Canada

And Building tanks with WEST SYSTEM® epoxy ~ by Patrick Ropp
http://www.epoxyworks.com/18/pdf/tanks.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:25   #18

I have no way of determining the exact metalurgical makeup of the tank. I think its 316... but there is no way to be sure. Also, from what I understand even 316L can and will develop corrosion at welded seams.

This potential for corrosion and future leaks is why I am looking for some product to pour or spray into the dry tank on the seams to seal things against possible future leaks. But I am unsure what to use.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote