Originally Posted by svpresent
Thanks for your time. BTW, how did you establish that putting in a bit more R134a made the system perform better?
It was a loooooonnngg process during a month's vacation
My psychiatrist says I shouldn't talk about it. (sarcasm)
We thought we still had a slow leak after a repair had been performed by a refrigeration guy. He was experienced with commercial
units, but grossly overcharged our system. At least he didn't overcharge me!
We had to bleed the unit down from 40psi on the low pressure side to about 24 with a cold box while keeping track of start, stop times and average current draw. It's surprising how much a little pressure difference can make.
It took DAYS but we finally found the point where it used the least amp hours while ALSO being colder than originally. The reason we finally found the insufficient panel source wiring
was the stall condition first thing in the morning. That's when the batteries would be at their lowest point before the solar
Originally before the problem cropped up, we had 25 degrees in the freezer
, the unit drew about 5 amps on startup, went to 6 after a few seconds then dropped to around 4.
After the repair, and our "research" with a can of R134, we had 15 degrees in the freezer
, but a max current draw after startup of almost 9 amps, but FEWER amp hours overall because the run time was so much less !
After replacing the #10 with #6, and upgrading the main buss bar in the pane, VOILA !! It runs great. That result made all the hours of searching for the perfect "nut" worth it.