Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2018, 16:48   #46

Boat: Shannon 38
Re: Composting toilets or wet sewage systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Always fun talking about how we deal with our poop

The key is finding the right balance. These heads need some moisture, but not very much. I lean to the drier side since mine is in constant use when we’re on board. But you can definitely be too dry.

I think ventilation is essential for the proper operating of the NH and AH. The CH’s lack of ventilation, and smaller holding tank, is why it needs to be emptied more often.

Flies can be a problem. I’ve had small infestations when I’ve misjudged on the moisture, or when my screen broke. When things are operating properly there should be no flies.

I’ve also heard from others that peat can be a source of bugs. I only use coir (compressed coconut husk), which does not seem to have the same problems. Maybe peat users can comment...
I cannot agree more that the moisture content is critical. The first time I used the composting head I had the Goldilocks moisture level and it really composted. That was great! Dumped it ashore and the bushes grew super tall! Then - too wet. Fruit flies, ugh. Cleaned it all out, tried again. On the risk of TMI, the coconut husk / peat moss mix didn't properly absorb water. We didn't know that the top layer was dry but the lower layer not; and then a bit of gastrointestinal bug, and we had soup. The fruitflies. And not just a few. The larva swarm out - dozens and dozens each morning; the hatched ones swarm the boat. Nothing, nothing worse. Gooey fly traps everywhere. (And weeks away from being back on land to rip it all out and bleach the stuff.) Grossest experience ever. But I'm trying again - dry side. Coconut only.

Prior boat had holding tank and always stank. No odor w/ composting head even when it fails and is a fruitfly breeder. A friend's boat Electrosan smelled like Electronsan. I can now recognize the smell readily. Current boat didn't have the holdling tank plumbed in when we bought her, and ripping out the unused holding tank gave us extra provisioning space. So, here's to hoping that dry though not really composted is the answer. So far, so good.
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:03   #47

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
The belittling tone of your remarks leads me to wonder if you are not the author of the article I mentioned.

No, I am not the author....I haven't even read it. but "belittling"...really?? <LOL>!!
Dear Peg Hall,

Yes, belittling is correct.

I have used a composting toilet for two years, including a trip to the Bahamas. On the initial part of my trip south, I had a mate who had lived on a boat for many years. He helped me install the Nature's Head, but he told me before the trip, "You'll be sorry" when I converted to a composting toilet. After we completed the first half of the trip with no odor, and no problems, he was man enough to say, "You know, you are right, this thing works". Subsequently, I had my brother-in-law aboard, who is not shy about talking about such things, and then later my friend of 37 years, who likewise will tell me if I am being a fool. They both said essentially the same thing - no stink, no problem.

You are apparently not willing to consider the evidence that people like me offer. Must be hard to be so close-minded, but that's your problem.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:22   #48

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Campers in National Forests have for many years been required to leave nothing, which means defication products go home in the backpack ... camp for two weeks it's a haul. But by airing out, the solids become essentially very light and much more space-saving. Urine? Hmmm, isn't that what the stern pulpit's for(at least for men)?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:29   #49

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
Urine? Hmmm, isn't that what the stern pulpit's for(at least for men)?
Yes, most of the time. Just not when wave height gets intimidating.....;-)
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:36   #50
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Never pulled the unit apart to clean the plates?
Apparently you missed the part in the owners "installation, operation and maintenance" manual that has the instructions for cleaning the electrode pack without the need to take anything apart.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:48   #51
Marine Service Provider

Now....tongue in cheek here....are you aware that the normal urine output for a human per day is approximately 1500ml/24 hours? Since one gallon is converted to 3700 mills...can we just very roughly state that a human being pees about half a gallon a day? That amount can change a little bit if he is 4 star high school football star who is working out hard and drinking gatorade like a fish drinks water versus grandma sitting on the couch with her morning cup of tea and glass of milk at lunch.

You obviously haven't kept up with today's grandmas. We no longer sit on sofas and sip tea...we're too busy staying active! We're also smart enough to keep ourselves hydrated...we have to, because after we pass menopause, we start peeing like fountains!
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 18:48   #52

Boat: Toni Hansen Trimere 33

My girlfriend and I use the C Head. Almost three years now. She too struggles on occasion with keeping things separate. It can become a nasty mess. She finds that keeping her flow pointed in the right direction doesn’t necessarily come naturally but needs to be worked at doing. Once she figured out the optimal position the head works better. But things still get messy on occasion. Over all I still am pleased.
Supers0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 19:05   #53

Boat: Volkscruiser

My 6 year old son and I spent a weekend on a friends yacht with a composting toilet. It is such a hassle to train a 6 year old to pee in one compartment and poo in another while keeping the flap open. Give me an electric toilet with holding tank any day. It is just so much easier particularly if you have kids on board for the day.
I have a Clivus Multrum composting toilet at home so I am well aware of the benefits of them.
You are right Peggie about how zealous composters afloat are. They could give ISIS lessons in brain washing!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 19:12   #54
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Composting toilets or wet sewage systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Apparently you missed the part in the owners "installation, operation and maintenance" manual that has the instructions for cleaning the electrode pack without the need to take anything apart.

Muriatic acid didn’t work on mine.
http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page226.html
Do you have any experience at all with a composting head?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 19:17   #55

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

Finally someone after 4 pages mentioned fruit flies. If anyone has had any experience with these gnatty little fleas, land or sea, you know they are tough to get rid of.
I've had my Airhead for several seasons, and have been plagued by fruit flies. I used the recommended coconut husks soaked per instructions prior to use. I have the fan and vented through side hull with a screen. No mixing of #1 and #2. Always turn the mixing handle after use with the fan on for 30 or 45 minutes. So where are these insects coming from?
The boat is in Florida, so temp is not an issue.
I paid about $900 or so. All of the tie down "hardware" has broken. Granted it's been 4 years or so, but the flimsy plastic tabs, the toilet set "hardware," in fact, every original connector had to be replaced.
That said, I have never experienced any smell at all. Used regular TP without problem. Don't mind the emptying of the products at all. And I love not having to deal with plumbing, holding, pumping and instructing mates.
But the fruit flies...I just leave the AirHead empty for now. Maybe the new models have sturdier fixtures and hold downs.
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 19:19   #56

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
...You are right Peggie about how zealous composters afloat are. They could give ISIS lessons in brain washing!
Cheers
Show me what comments you are referring to. I’ve heard this accusation a few times from a few people, including Peggy. Point to the messages you (and Peggy) are talking about b/c I honestly don’t see “zealots” attempting to brainwash anyone. I do see some people trying to respond to real questions, and offer their own actual experiences.

So please, show me the messages you’re referring to.
Old 17-02-2018, 19:32   #57

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcshane View Post
Finally someone after 4 pages mentioned fruit flies. If anyone has had any experience with these gnatty little fleas, land or sea, you know they are tough to get rid of.
I've had my Airhead for several seasons, and have been plagued by fruit flies. I used the recommended coconut husks soaked per instructions prior to use. I have the fan and vented through side hull with a screen. No mixing of #1 and #2. Always turn the mixing handle after use with the fan on for 30 or 45 minutes. So where are these insects coming from?
The boat is in Florida, so temp is not an issue.
I paid about $900 or so. All of the tie down "hardware" has broken. Granted it's been 4 years or so, but the flimsy plastic tabs, the toilet set "hardware," in fact, every original connector had to be replaced.
That said, I have never experienced any smell at all. Used regular TP without problem. Don't mind the emptying of the products at all. And I love not having to deal with plumbing, holding, pumping and instructing mates.
But the fruit flies...I just leave the AirHead empty for now. Maybe the new models have sturdier fixtures and hold downs.
Bugs are annoying. The one time I got bugs bad was when my little vent screen came off. Could that be an issue? Have you tried cleaning the thing thoroughly with bleach? Get it into the nooks. They must be persisting in tiny spots.

Maybe your pile is too damp? I don’t moisten the coir as per the instructions on the package b/c I think this makes it too damp. I add just a cup or two of water (depending on brick size), put it in a ziplock bag, and let it heat up for a while. Then I mechanically break the brick apart. It is still quite dry when I add the material.

I don’t know the AH in any detail. My NH does not suffer from any poor connections or seals. Is there any gaskets not sealing properly?

P.S. See, this is me trying to help a fellow user. Is this being a “zealot?”
Old 17-02-2018, 20:04   #58
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Where do you get such wide opening laundry detergent bottles?

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 20:24   #59

Boat: Volkscruiser

Future Stories I think it depends on the size of the sausage as to what you might call a big opening? I just checked our Cold Power detergent bottle and I am not sure I would be using that to take a pee in.
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 21:04   #60
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Future Stories I think it depends on the size of the sausage as to what you might call a big opening? I just checked our Cold Power detergent bottle and I am not sure I would be using that to take a pee in.

I was summoning my inner Richard Pryor

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting