Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2018, 14:30   #76

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Composting toilets or wet sewage systems

Yup, problem with the Internet at times is there is no repercussions personally for mean natured people. For those infantile minds... the standard of conversation u should always try and maintain is civil. You can always disagree and state your point without damaging another person's reputation.

IMO I would fully support the moderators giving a poster a week off (banned) to think about their rhetoric and/or writing style. With the general idea that any further lapses in judgement to be exiled forever. Can that idea take traction?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 14:41   #77

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Here is the thing... when u make denigrating remarks about another person you are not only verbally abusing them ... you are trying to bully them. You use your words like a punch to the nose. Trying to shut them up because you don't agree with them? Wake up people. There are so many problems in society with hate and violence. Huge efforts are being made these days to promote civil behavior. There is literally zero tolerance towards bullying. How have you missed out on that proctoring?

To the bullies... 2 things. Simple and easy to use before opening your mouth/ tapping on keyboard...

1. It is not what you say.. it is how u say it.
2. If you can't say something nice then say nothing at all.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 15:32   #78

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
There are 3 kinds of "composting" toilets: True composters (none of the marine units are)...desicators and a few that are essentially just glorified kitty litter boxes (someone on another forum wondered aloud if it would be possible to use clumping litter in those, thus eliminating the need to separate solids and urine. To date I haven't run across anyone who's tried it, or willing to admit it if they have). They all have their share of true believers who are as committed to recruiting converts as the Jehovah's Witnesses are. Watching you attempt to "re-potty train" those sailors here whom you seem to think need it should be entertaining.
Love it Peggy!
For us, we prefer not to have to empty containers of urine, then containers of solids, buy more material etc, etc, and go through the whole process again. We just prefer our two electric Jabsco's each with gravity emptying holding tanks that can be emptied at a dock or at sea, and enjoy no odour, no hassle, and get on with sailing.
But - each to their own, and that's what makes life (and this forum) entertaining
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 15:49   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
There is--or used to be--a Type II MSD that used maggots ("clean" ones, available in packets from companies who grow them)...you knew it was time for a new batch when flies started coming out of the toilet!
The whole concept becomes more and more gross the further one looks into it - well at least that part of 'composting' toilets seems to be consigned to history.
Old 18-02-2018, 15:52   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
I've used a composting toilet for 16 years now at home and I have one for my boat (not installed yet) Never any smell and empty 3/4 of the contents annually. The secret to them is easy. Just keep the right moisture content and the bacteria will stay happily converting your poop into what appears to be potting soil. You know you have the right moisture content when you see a light sheen on the surface of the compost. Mixing is a very good thing because it provides oxygen for the bacteria. You have a mini ecosystem that you need to learn how to manage and it will take care of you waste like magic. I use a five gallon pickle barrel ( a 1 year supply )to mix my composting food in. I mix double cut shredded paper which I keep in a bag and years ago I bought a 3cu/ft brick of compressed peat moss 50/50, and use a 1 cup scoop on a stick to apply the dry mix into the poop. Every turd i fire into the toilet is followed by a spray shot of "Compost Quick" before I cover it with the dry mixed Confetti/Peat moss. Every two weeks I sprinkle a half tsp of "Microbe Mix"tiny pellets.Once a week I add roughly 3 litres of warm water to beef up the moisture and give it a thorough mixing to keep all the bacteria healthy and happy.I don't flood it with urine. The only urine that it gets is when I'm pinching of a loaf and depositing toilet paper is ok, but use it sparingly. It doesn't take much time out of your life to compost properly. It's just something you decide to get involved in and learn to do it right . The sooner you get the hang of it the happier you'll be. It's like a sour doh , you need the bacteria so never completely empty it. Have fun.
Wow! Me, I prefer to press the flush button and walk away ......
But, each to their own.
Old 18-02-2018, 15:55   #81
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Wow! Me, I prefer to press the flush button and walk away ......

But, each to their own.

When you press the button and it doesn’t work or the head possibly clogs, are you going to be the one to repair or unclog the Head or is that something you’d hire out?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 16:10   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
Dear Peg Hall,

Yes, belittling is correct.

I have used a composting toilet for two years, including a trip to the Bahamas. On the initial part of my trip south, I had a mate who had lived on a boat for many years. He helped me install the Nature's Head, but he told me before the trip, "You'll be sorry" when I converted to a composting toilet. After we completed the first half of the trip with no odor, and no problems, he was man enough to say, "You know, you are right, this thing works". Subsequently, I had my brother-in-law aboard, who is not shy about talking about such things, and then later my friend of 37 years, who likewise will tell me if I am being a fool. They both said essentially the same thing - no stink, no problem.

You are apparently not willing to consider the evidence that people like me offer. Must be hard to be so close-minded, but that's your problem.
Gee that's a bit off I have to say!

Not knowing the lady, all I see is her bringing some balance to this discussion, which as usual, brings the 'composting' heads zealots out.

I admire your passion, and respect your choice to manually deal with urine and faeces, carrying bottles of urine, and containers of 'compost' to wherever, to dump on land. However the majority of us - like most have moved on from septic tank systems and prefer to be connected to a modern sewage system - prefer to press a flush button (or at worst, operate a manual pump), and walk away.

In the same way that you ask for the rest of us to accept that 'composting' heads work for you, accept that a properly designed, installed and operated marine sewage system is odor free, and as simple to use as flushing your toilet at home (actually easier I think - the macerating pump works better and uses less water than a flushing toilet which uses 9 or 12 litres per flush).

We each have different ideas of how to live, and how our living impacts the planet - pretty boring if that was not the case.
Old 18-02-2018, 16:14   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supers0nic View Post
My girlfriend and I use the C Head. Almost three years now. She too struggles on occasion with keeping things separate. It can become a nasty mess. She finds that keeping her flow pointed in the right direction doesn’t necessarily come naturally but needs to be worked at doing. Once she figured out the optimal position the head works better. But things still get messy on occasion. Over all I still am pleased.
I just continue to shake my head and ask why, but, as I have said before, we are all different!
Old 18-02-2018, 16:21   #84
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Gee that's a bit off I have to say!

Not knowing the lady, all I see is her bringing some balance to this discussion, which as usual, brings the 'composting' heads zealots out.

I admire your passion, and respect your choice to manually deal with urine and faeces, carrying bottles of urine, and containers of 'compost' to wherever, to dump on land. However the majority of us - like most have moved on from septic tank systems and prefer to be connected to a modern sewage system - prefer to press a flush button (or at worst, operate a manual pump), and walk away.

In the same way that you ask for the rest of us to accept that 'composting' heads work for you, accept that a properly designed, installed and operated marine sewage system is odor free, and as simple to use as flushing your toilet at home (actually easier I think - the macerating pump works better and uses less water than a flushing toilet which uses 9 or 12 litres per flush).

We each have different ideas of how to live, and how our living impacts the planet - pretty boring if that was not the case.

If you own a boat and have never manually dealt with urine or feces you either have enough $’s to pay someone to do it or you don’t use your boat much.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 16:24   #85

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
And there’s the ad hominem insult once again. Why is it that a few people who clearly don’t like the idea of a composting head can’t discuss it rationally, without resorting to insults?

I had written this message in response to Alan’s recent post, but had decided not to send it … until your message came in David B.

Quote:
Thanks Alan, nicely put. I do hope the message sinks in to those who need to hear it.

I’m not really in favour of banning people (except in the most extreme cases). And I certainly don’t mind strongly worded positions or arguments. I’m also fine with the language getting tough or combative at times. G-d knows I’m no saint when it comes to strong debate, and sometimes I go over the line .

It’s when we start getting into ad hominem or juvenile insults, as we’ve seen here from a tiny few posters (and repeated) — this is when I get annoyed. It’s especially disappointing when it comes from otherwise respected (and helpful) members of our little community.

Some of you just don’t like composters. We got that. There are lots of challenges, and some downsides, to these heads, so please feel free to discuss those if you like. But stop with the “litter box” (and much worse) insults.
Old 18-02-2018, 16:25   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Here is the thing... when u make denigrating remarks about another person you are not only verbally abusing them ... you are trying to bully them. You use your words like a punch to the nose. Trying to shut them up because you don't agree with them? Wake up people. There are so many problems in society with hate and violence. Huge efforts are being made these days to promote civil behavior. There is literally zero tolerance towards bullying. How have you missed out on that proctoring?

To the bullies... 2 things. Simple and easy to use before opening your mouth/ tapping on keyboard...

1. It is not what you say.. it is how u say it.
2. If you can't say something nice then say nothing at all.
Nicely said!
Old 18-02-2018, 16:40   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
When you press the button and it doesn’t work or the head possibly clogs, are you going to be the one to repair or unclog the Head or is that something you’d hire out?
Umm - not sure how or when that is going to happen. Water is pumped in, the waste is pumped out via a macerating pump in the bottom of the bowl to a holding tank up high, hidden in a locker.
When emptying time comes, one opens a ball valve and in less than 5 seconds it is all gone. Or when in port, one plugs the suction line into the deck fitting and in about the same time, it is again all gone.
That's how it worked when we bought the boat, and 7 years later, that's how it still works. I cannot see how a blockage would occur (and we use plenty of standard supermarket toilet paper - when it is wet, the macerator just chews it up in seconds).

At the end of each season, I leave a de-scaler in the system overnight, then flush out, and rinse with freshwater - that's it.

But in answer, yes, I have no problem with the concept of undoing the four screws holding the macerator pump on, clearing out whatever the issue is, and then re-mounting. I do have issue with the idea of having to dump bottles of urine, or containers of 'compost' and then having to buy more composting material, prepare it etc, only to do this again, and again. Others obviously don't, but again, that is human diversity for you - we agree to disagree.
Old 18-02-2018, 16:44   #88

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

From another zealot:

Just shy of a half-century of marine head experience, I believe I've encountered every head problem that one might. This includes a head failure in the early stages of a trans-Atlantic passage. Not a fun experience.

Three years ago I replaced the top-end manual pump type head on my boat with a Nature's Head composting marine toilet. Okay... it's not perfect and not entirely problem free. But it is so superior to the flushing water type heads that I will never consider changing back.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 16:49   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If you own a boat and have never manually dealt with urine or feces you either have enough $’s to pay someone to do it or you don’t use your boat much.
Actually I do all of our maintenance myself, and we sail the Med every year - have been for 7 years now. Love it, and the modern conveniences on board such as flushing toilets.

Money - well, we worked hard for 40 years, and finally took the plunge (we became somewhat more focussed on the fragility of life, when my wife was diagnosed with cancer, and resolved when she got the 'all clear' to bring our dream to reality).

We cruise on a very tight budget, and while in many ways it would be nice to pay someone else to do all of the maintenance, the cost is very hard to justify, so where we can, we do it all ourselves. Also, it keeps one's hand in, as we all recognise, cruisers must be as self-sufficient as possible. As we age, we accept that to keep onboard, we will have to use outside help more and more but so far (we are in our mid sixties), all is well.
Old 18-02-2018, 16:52   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
And there’s the ad hominem insult once again. Why is it that a few people who clearly don’t like the idea of a composting head can’t discuss it rationally, without resorting to insults?

I had written this message in response to Alan’s recent post, but had decided not to send it … until your message came in David B.
Cannot see an insult there Mike, but if you have taken offence, then I apologise for apparently causing that offence.

Tags
oil, posting