Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 13:13   #76
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
If you have a solar panel feeding your main battery and a computer fan you have the same deal as a solar fan at a fraction the cost.
Well, yes, but the vents such as the nicro or sensi are designed to be seated and water tight in the deck and can be easily adapted to accommodate the vent hose.

A computer fan is not and must be set up to draw on the house bank.

Big difference in efficiency of design, and I would not want the head's dependability and functionality reliant on the battery system. In the event I have run down my house bank, or am working on it, I want the vent on the head still buzzing away.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 13:13   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
Wow thats 3 more hours a day than mine
slacker... some days I get in almost 30 hours!!!!

Old 21-01-2010, 14:51   #78

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
I have to agree with GMac. I am beginning the construction of a cruising sailboat, and these issues are paramount. What to do with crap.... My last large boat was a gaff rigged schooner, and in those days bucket and chuck it was my system. Can't do that any more. [And shouldn't]. this thread has had more precise information and detail than any website I have ever seen, without the hype that websites have. Thank you, thank you, one and all. I like the detractors because you raise issues I might not think of, and the resultant discussion is just excellent. Thank you.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 17:15   #79

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
oh cool! One thing I was trying to figure out from the photos, but couldn't is how it works in profile. as in does the urine collection cup fit in the diameter of the ten gallon bucket (and thus need a way for the hose to come out of the bucket for separate collection, or does that smaller urine cup fit OUTSIDE the bucket, and facilitate collection of the liquid waste without adapting the bucket in some way? O please when you get it would you let me know? Pics would be great but even just a description would be appreciated!
SARA!!!!! I thought you already had yours.
I will take some detailed pics of the kit when it arrives. I am hoping that I can use it to improve the very basic system that I have been using (bucket and bottle). I don't think I could have constructed a separating system that my wife would be willing to try for 127 dollars. Thanks again for the tip.
Old 21-01-2010, 18:08   #80
cruiser

Computer fan draws 60 milliamps , not a big worrry about drawing down my 100 amp battery. That would take forever, if the solar panel screwed up. They cost about $2.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 21:23   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
SARA!!!!! I thought you already had yours.
I will take some detailed pics of the kit when it arrives. I am hoping that I can use it to improve the very basic system that I have been using (bucket and bottle). I don't think I could have constructed a separating system that my wife would be willing to try for 127 dollars. Thanks again for the tip.
Yeah, the price looked totally right to me. Himself is a bit of a doubter and thought it couldn't be possible to have a bucket of crap and coir on board without it smelling and drawing flies, so we are doing a low tech test of the solid waste half of the equation. As soon as we have gotten thru a few months of steady use (and it works like I expect) we will be ordering the privy kit.

I can get really nice buckets and bottles free at a local ice creamery, and I plan on building it in, cabinet style, with a hinged top that would allow access for swapping out buckets and bottles. I figure there will be room to store the TP and blocks of coir in there as well.

Old 21-01-2010, 21:42   #82

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Hey, Sarafina. Are there any more like you down there in California?
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 16:35   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

what? short? sassy? smart? salty?

prolly ; -)

Old 25-01-2010, 09:36   #84

Boat: Cascade
Irish!
Old 25-01-2010, 16:16   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Irish... and Sicilian... !!

Old 26-01-2010, 05:20   #86

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Every time I read a thread like this. (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...des-29874.html I feel just a little smarter.
Old 26-01-2010, 07:14   #87

has anyone had problems at high angles of heel - either in aiming or in keeping the contents of the urine/**** receptacles in place?
wkd928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 08:06   #88

Boat: Nordic 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Well, yes, but the vents such as the nicro or sensi are designed to be seated and water tight in the deck and can be easily adapted to accommodate the vent hose.

A computer fan is not and must be set up to draw on the house bank.
We have a solar vent on our Nature's Head and had a problem when stuck on a mooring in 20+ kts. for 3 days. The wind was overpowering the vent fan and blowing back into the head. I managed to fix it by taping over the vents on the fan facing the wind, but that's not a permanent solution. I'm going to add a computer fan to the system this winter to give it a little more oomph.

Quote:
has anyone had problems at high angles of heel - either in aiming or in keeping the contents of the urine/**** receptacles in place?
Ours is mounted on the port side, facing inward. On a starboard tack it is hard (impossible) to get all the liquid to flow into the pee bucket. We haven't found a solution to this yet, other than hold it or tack. Nature's Head recommends mounting fore/aft and I wish we had the room to do that.
Everything that makes it to a receptacle stay put however.
Sluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 22:40   #89

I am glad I installed an Air Head, eliminating the holding tank allowed me to switch to all chain rode.(my boat is only 30'). I installed vent to an existing nicro vent, and intend to also install supplied fan for rainy days.This will be on a switch and only used when needed. I add extra peat prior to emptying,this dilutes any waste that has not decomposed.. I normally add approx. a cup of peat a day, as it gets time to empty I increase peat.(prefer to empty every 5-6 weeks)
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 19:13   #90
cruiser

I made up a weather cocking top for my vent pipe out of a 2 inc ABS elbow and a 2 inch ABS coupling with a short lenght of 2 inch ABS pipe. I put it on a pivot with a counterbalance, and put a tail fin on it, so the opening will always point downwind. Draws well without the fan in strong winds , but I leave the fan on in case it falls calm.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote