Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2012, 11:04   #391

Boat: Virgo Voyager 23' / Steady 8' dinghy
Send a message via Skype™ to Skipper Solo
Re: Composting Toilets

Think any of the composting offerings discussed here would fit Polly's Ladies Room? A replacement for my boats' "ladies' best friend" is way down the list, but still something I've thought of for harbour-friendly reasons.

It's like this (from another VV, but identical size):

(Oh no... can't help myself... must resist... nnnnngh... can't!)

"Well, our toilet went crazy yesterday afternoon
The plumber he says, Never flush a tampoon
This great information cost me half a weeks pay
And the toilet blew up later on the next daaaayayaaay..."

- F. Zappa / "Flakes" from "Sheik Yerbouti".

Excuzez moi. I'll go now.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:02   #392

We installed an Air Head a few months ago and I just posted a long article about it on my blog with lots of photos. Blog entry here: http://goo.gl/b14G8

We really like ours.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:39   #393

I have a Natureshead. For the vent I use the PC fan provided. I hook it to the original small head vent. This works fine and doesn't require additional holes, vents, etc. The air flow is so low that there isn't significant back preasure. The PC fan uses such a small amount of power that I don't believe it warrants the purchase of a solar vent. If installing a new composting head I suggest trying the existing vent first.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 15:15   #394

Boat: Downeaster 38 / Beneteau F235
Send a message via Yahoo to audeojude

Your right about it not using much power. I just wanted a solar vent so that if I had issues in the onboard power system, I wouldn't also be dealing with any odor issue while I fixed the first. I always build in redundancy if I can afford it.
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:00   #395

We went the route of the solar-powered vent fan with our Air Head because the house batteries that came with the boat are nearing the end of their use and we wanted to extend them as much as we can.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:56   #396

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Solo View Post
Think any of the composting offerings discussed here would fit Polly's Ladies Room? A replacement for my boats' "ladies' best friend" is way down the list, but still something I've thought of for harbour-friendly reasons.
Looking at the picture, I think so. Here's the exact dimensions of a Nature's Head: http://www.natureshead.net/Natures-Head_Dimensions.pdf

But basically: 19 inches deep, 20 inches wide and 21.5 inches high.

The height can be a little much when compared to a normal sized head. So if there's a platform or place to put your feet it helps.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 16:49   #397

Boat: Downeaster 38 / Beneteau F235
Send a message via Yahoo to audeojude

We have the natures head and its height is very comfortable if it isn't on a platform. Ours is on a platform the old head was on. However there isn't room in our boat for it if you cut out the platform as it is giving a flat space up the incline of the hull. So for us it is quite high, even so I wouldn't trade it back in. We will be putting some sort of foot braces etc.. in. If you can fit it on a flat deck space then your golden all the way around. I don't think your going to get a lower height unit that has an adequate sized composting bin on it.
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 02:49   #398

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch
Well I got about half way through all these posts and decided this was definitely for me. You can only get an airhead in Australia so that's what is on its way as we speak you can get the natures head but have to order from overseas so trying to keep it local can't wait!
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 08:12   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyb View Post
Well I got about half way through all these posts and decided this was definitely for me. You can only get an airhead in Australia so that's what is on its way as we speak you can get the natures head but have to order from overseas so trying to keep it local can't wait!
We continue to be delighted with our Air Head composting toilet. We've had it operational through the entire winter so far and there hasn't been a single whiff of foul odor the entire time. Well worth the purchase and effort to install.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:23   #400

Boat: Cal Cruising 46

So we're going to get a nature's head due to the following;
1. molded in seat might be easier to clean, you won't have the seat hinge as a collection sight.

2. spider wheel seems a little stronger and less space needed.

3. pee bucket containment system seems better, tried a friends airhead and had a hard time getting the locking wing nuts to engage when reinstalling. Thank goodness it was unused because I had my head in bowl while trying.

4. no sight glass on the side to turn yellow and possibly leak.

So what are any one have any thoughts?
jackahearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:38   #401
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackahearts View Post
So we're going to get a nature's head due to the following;
1. molded in seat might be easier to clean, you won't have the seat hinge as a collection sight.

2. spider wheel seems a little stronger and less space needed.

3. pee bucket containment system seems better, tried a friends airhead and had a hard time getting the locking wing nuts to engage when reinstalling. Thank goodness it was unused because I had my head in bowl while trying.

4. no sight glass on the side to turn yellow and possibly leak.

So what are any one have any thoughts?
You might want to check out the c-head. It is brilliantly simple aand really nicely made.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43   #402

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I've got the Air Head which we've used for a couple years. Here are my comments:

1. This might be an advantage, but I haven't had any "collection sight" problems with the seat hinge.

2. Don't understand this one ... what's the spider wheel?

3. Agree here, the wind nut attachments could be a lot better.

4. No leaks so far for me but I see your point. How do you tell how full the container is with the Nature's Head? Seems any sight glass might yellow some.
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:07   #403

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

On the nature's head you can see the fluid container is full just by looking at it itself. It's clear enough to see the fluid level, though some times holding a light up next to it helps. That may change as the container ages.

My one complaint I've had with these units, the insect problem, I just gave up on and used a couple hits of raid flying insect control in the compost bin. That fixed the problem for good and hasn't seemed to affect the composting itself in any way.

Frankly I wish a little more thought was put into the insect control issue with these units. The manufacturers seem to downplay it and hand wave it away. It's absolutely annoying and most external resources on it with composting are from an organic bent which isn't what I care about and don't seem to work anyway. I just want to crap without flies going up my arse.

As far as I can tell the active ingredients in raid flying insect control are all neurotoxins which I presume wouldn't impact aerobic bacteria. So if anyone else has this problem, try it out and see if it works for you.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25   #404

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
I've been using a natures head on land now for almost a year. No fly issue in the head. Close the gate to the solid container when not in use? I also keep the bowl clean with vinegar/water in a spray bottle after use, especially pee. That said, I usually pee outside.

Biggest advantage I see in no separate seat on the boat is that there is no guillotine.

Pee level easily seen. Lift seat/bowl a bit and bottle just lifts out to empty.

I use sawdust because it's free here. Find i empty every 2 1/2-3 weeks with one person everyday use. Could hold more but cranking gets hard. Only one major caveat, you'll only forget to open the gate to the solids container once!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:38   #405

Boat: Cal Cruising 46
Going to ck the c-head out.

Bug thing wonder of bug screen on the vent line would help?
jackahearts is offline   Reply With Quote