Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04   #346

Boat: Westsail 32
Looks like yet another instance of one size does NOT fit all. Sailors seem to be a bit more individualistic bunch than many and thinking outside the box seems to come fairly naturally. Especially with the help of a forum like this one. A pretty wide range of ideas and something for almost everyone. I like the standard preface to answers: "It depends", and what it depends upon is the individual and what works best for each one, individually.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:58   #347
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai Fighter View Post
I have a Envirolet Smart flush vaccum toilet installed in my Gemini cat. It runs off my PV system, and you can use it just like a regular toilet. I empty the bin once every 3 months.

Just curious, aren't all these heads 120V?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 13:05   #348

I have the one that is 12vdc single tank model. I didn't even put an excess liquid drain, since i'm the only one who lives aboard. They do have a 120vac model though.
Thai Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 13:37   #349

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nv5l View Post

Perhaps you could post photos of your head, with bucket "installed," so we could get a better idea of how it's working out for you.
Not sure who the "You" is here. But I believe it was Brent Swain who did post some pics. I tried to find them in this thread but -no joy-.

The subject of composting heads is covered in a few other threads on the forum, including

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...buy-43271.html

and

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...let-37307.html

Brent also has a book with diagrams I understand.
Old 09-01-2011, 19:54   #350

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Earlier in this looooooong thread I mentioned that I tested my new (then) natures head. I used only the com poster for about 45days. No complaints. It is the ONLY way to Go. Pun intended.

Standard white plastic kitchen draw string sack gives a pretty good seal around the hopper, flip it over, shake it and it rains shxx into the sack. Deed done!
Old 10-01-2011, 03:20   #351
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Earlier in this looooooong thread I mentioned that I tested my new (then) natures head. I used only the com poster for about 45days. No complaints. It is the ONLY way to Go. Pun intended.

Standard white plastic kitchen draw string sack gives a pretty good seal around the hopper, flip it over, shake it and it rains shxx into the sack. Deed done!

I usually don't get too excited about any boat system. But the composting head after years of the other types of heads just tickles me that they work so well, are so easy to maintain and are the epitome of the KISS rule. Everytime I open the boat the first thing I do is take a wiff as I walk in the salon and smile. What a pleasure to finally be rid of smells that eventually come with all the other holding tank type systems.
Old 10-01-2011, 13:34   #352
cruiser

I think if you guys all go to your local fibreglass shop and suggest they make and sell their own version, then show them the price of the airhead and natures head, the problem will be quickly solved, and they will become far more common place, at far more affordable prices.
My book has the info and dimensions for making your own.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:59   #353

Boat: Gaff Schooner 45' - Talisman of Fambridge
Brent,

What "Book" are you talking about? Have you mentioned your book before and I have missed your mention?
Is it a book about general boaty things or specifically about heads systems?
Always interested in furthering my knowledge base.

Simes
Old 11-01-2011, 08:23   #354

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simes View Post
Brent,

What "Book" are you talking about? Have you mentioned your book before and I have missed your mention?

Simes
It's a boat on the method Brent uses building for creating steel monohulls, called origami. The book also has quite a bit on other stuff for a boat you can make yourself such as roller furlers, winches, ladders.

I have a copy of it and have read it a few times. It's pretty good but (to me) should have been edited better. I think if you dig around here you'll find the address or PM Brent and he'll tell you.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 19:06   #355
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Yeah I always wanted to buy Brents book. Hey Brent if you send me a PM with the info I'll order one. Even though I have the store bought one in the starboard hull I'm thinking of building one for the port hull. I'd like a bigger seat. You once wrote a line on the composting threads I thought was spot on. Paraphrasing "Once the Chinese get a hold of this the price will be more realistic" I agree. But in the mean time I would like to order your book.
Old 12-01-2011, 13:57   #356
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simes View Post
Brent,

Simes
Its a book called "Origami Metal Boatbuilding" The method is so simple, it doesn't fill the book, so I inculded anything I thought would help any boat builder, using any material, save a lot of money and time . Thus it includes how to build your own composting head , lavac type head, roller furler, engine driven welder, 540 GPD watermaker, wood stove, blocks, self steering, wind generator, hatches, anchor winch, , etc, etc ,etc.
Brent Swain
brentswain38@yahoo.ca
Old 14-01-2011, 12:38   #357

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Thanks, that's interesting. So you turned it and power ventilated it while aboard but then relied on natural ventilation with no turning for the next month - and it did it all by itself. Maybe you might be tempted then to experiment without the fan at all? The findings sure would interest me, if you're game
A lot of composting systems use no fan at all. The heat generated by composting creates a natural updraft which, if you have a vent flue for the john, creates pretty much all the airflow you'll need, provided the system is built to take advantage of it
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 16:03   #358
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Its a book called "Origami Metal Boatbuilding" The method is so simple, it doesn't fill the book, so I inculded anything I thought would help any boat builder, using any material, save a lot of money and time . Thus it includes how to build your own composting head , lavac type head, roller furler, engine driven welder, 540 GPD watermaker, wood stove, blocks, self steering, wind generator, hatches, anchor winch, , etc, etc ,etc.
Brent Swain
brentswain38@yahoo.ca
For more info , just contact me at this address.

I used a weather cocking vent cap , made out of an ABS elbow and coupling to help create a vacuum in a wind to suck the methane out. Still use the fan , but the cap helps it out a lot in strong wind,
Old 15-01-2011, 02:08   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildshore View Post
A lot of composting systems use no fan at all. The heat generated by composting creates a natural updraft which, if you have a vent flue for the john, creates pretty much all the airflow you'll need, provided the system is built to take advantage of it
That's interesting; a query. Have you tried a fanless one in the confines of a boat? I'd be keen to hear if the natural updraught was enough there. I note Brent S below says he still used a fan.

Second, could you expand on the last phrase: "provided the system is built to take advantage of it". Not sure what that means. Thanks.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 06:01   #360

I posted this, but will replay. We use the vent that was on the original head (the little one like 5/8" hose). I just got adaptors to join the vent hose to the old vent. Air volume is low enough not to create much back pressure. Fans lasted all season last year. This removes the need for another hole or other creative device. You can always add another vent if you don't like this solution.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote