Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-02-2010, 07:58   #181

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Well boys, looks like a petty state beauracat is overestimating his importance again. The sad part of this there will have to be a test case to bust it. Seems to me the head composting industry have a horse in this race and should get together to make arrangments to challenge. After all, this is their meatball (methphorically speaking) what this little person has attacked.

Now from a the question is how do we composters loop hole this until it happens? Is a porta potty or legal? I have one on my party barge that is 7 years old and still in the unopened box. I could put it aboard as a decoy. I really do not want to get into a pissing (pun intended) contest with some overzelous crap cop.

Does the trap door on these units qualify as a pumpout opening also.

Old 20-02-2010, 08:08   #182

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
They are attatched by screws to the boat (except rhe pee bottle)! Like someone mentioned, a valve on a conventional head only has to be unlocked and opened! But let's not get ahead of ourselves! We still haven't heard of any cases, just a marina owner's opinion/thought/interperatation....Has anyone asked the athorities or does anyone know af a case where this has actually happened?

Old 20-02-2010, 09:01   #183

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
[QUOTE=hummingway;406811]I'm in complete agreement. My composter as reported was beginning to smell. I closed the door to the head and problem gone. Then I added some more peat and a little em bokashi and the smell in the head retreated. Even when it gets a little smelly it's better then a smelly tank ... and now I've more storage space! Next haul out I'm sealing the through hulls and never looking back. By the by Em Bokashi is some reputed copmposting microorganism stuff I picked up. Don't know if it helped or it was more peat that
helped but it didn't hurt![/QUOTE
Holding tank smell is way worse than the sum of the contents, i bought an Aloha 8.2 last year which has a tank installed way forward under the vee berth with fairly long hoses which clearly need replacing,now while the positioning of the tank still leaves plenty of storage space what the hell would i put in there that would not be permeated.With the lid closed and the cushions in place the smell in the rest of the boat is not so bad but rather than carry all the poo around or spend a fortune on new hose i will probably build my own composter.we keep the boat at a private dock and its little bmw diesel runs on the smell of an oily rag so we fill it from a jerry can so for us we would need to make a special trip for pump outs so this will be perfect. I also intend to build one for my Lindenberg 26 which will live on a mooring when it sees the water,it currently has a porta pottie so its like starting from scratch so there is no way i would go the holding tank route.
Steve.
Old 20-02-2010, 09:08   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
How do folks dispose of their vegetable wastes? Can they be composted too, or will they fill up the waste container too fast?

John
Obviously they will fill it quicker but I understand it's good for the compost. I don't do it yet but may experiment with it once I'm more comfortable with it.
Old 20-02-2010, 09:40   #185

Adding kitchen scraps to the compost can definately enhance the microbial activity. The ideal carbon to notrogen ratios for the bacteria can be obtained from books on composting and there are analisis readily available to aproximate your 'brew'. However, on a small system in a boat, ideal composting may not be what we are striving for. As you mention, time between clean outs and smell seem to be high on the list of priorities. For instance, most 'cover materials' are high in carbon which actually creates an imbalance or limmiting factor in regards to bacterial growth. The very thing that these successful systems (from the standpoint of odor) seperate, the urine, is extremely high in nitrogen and can encorage fast microbial activity promoting a "hot" and healthy compst, however, it can cause odor. Most research on composting finds optimum size of batches rather large (for a boat) to create the heat and environment ideal for decay. These aren't nescessarily what we are after on a boat. As convenience, odor and ease of dealing with the system are the primary reasons for many of us to have a composting head, a composting facility (pile, drum or whatever you are interested in) on shore where the factors can be optimized for the bacterial process might be the perfect solution for those that can. A place to finnish your solids and dump your liquids as well as the kitchen scraps. When the materials are at hand, a compost pile propperly built and kept moist but not anerobic, with the correct nitrogen to carbon ratio and of a large enough size can heat up to very high temps steaming away and can decompose thoroughly in a month's time. I used to do this regularly when gardening on a fairly large scale. It is impressive when your pile is sending a column of steam into air like a chiminy....But I wouldn't want that on the boat...
Old 20-02-2010, 09:57   #186
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradG View Post
So far it is a word of a marina owner (who probably looses pumpout business because of composting heads), but has anyone been cited any state law yet? If it is a movement of sorts or a law in the making, perhaps we can follow the correct avenues to prevent it. Anyone from Fl want to look into this? I imagine that Nature's head and Airhead would lend support as well as the US coast guard, as they are reported to have Nature's Heads on some of their boats...
Meanwhile, the storm drains keep draining, agricultural fertilizer keeps running off, industry keep dumping and the municipal treatment facilities keep 'overfowing'....
Talked to an FWC officer and CG auxiliary today and neither know what I was talking about. I did pick up a leaflet put out by the FWC and according to it it's legal. Maybe the officers don't know what it is.
Old 20-02-2010, 10:05   #187

Great for you! Let us know if anything arises that we could act on.
I suspect it has more to do with a marina owner's pet peve...Although quite often people in the possition of power (the enforcing athorities, not theire superiors) like to feel important and take things into their own hands for an instance. It would be nice to know if anything really has happened or if it was a third hand peice of information that has morphed with time.
Old 21-02-2010, 20:23   #188

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
O please when you get it would you let me know? Pics would be great but even just a description would be appreciated!
Sara, and anyone else interested.
I finally received my Ecovita Privy Kit. There was a little snafu with the order, and it took a long time to get here, but they eventually got it shipped off and I got a free book out of the deal for the delay. Nice people.

Anyway, here's what you get for your $112.00 plus dollars.

Basically, a plastic separating bowl, a Styrofoam seat and cover.
They provide a template on the cardboard box that you can cut out.
Oh, they also provide a piece of hose. I decided to fit the urine container right under the bowl so I didn't use the hose.

Here's what I wanted to do. First, replace this piece of crap in the boat.

Second, replace the simple bucket and jug system that I was using in the Man Cave.

So I went to the Home Depot and bought two sheets of 3/4" ply wood that they had on sale and had the nice fellow there cut them into enough pieces to make two units.
It only took him a 15 minutes or so and he did a much better job than I could have done at home.

I bought one cartridge of liquid nails and got out of there for just over $50.00.
I ripped down a six foot two by four that I had for the corner pieces and cleats and started dry fitting things so that I could figure out where to cut my holes.
I cut holes in the floor of the unit so that the bucket and jug would not be able to slip or slide when the boat heels.

It was a good thing that I was planning to build twin units. I missed the location for the liquid container by about a half an inch on the first attempt, so I cut the second piece, the one that goes on the boat correctly.

I'm not nearly as concerned about the land based unit, but I wanted the one for the boat to be right. Here's a view from the top.

And bottom.

There will be room inside the box to keep the lids for the containers.

Because I am a real cheapskate and because the Privy kit was the most expensive part of this project, I wanted to be able to use the separator and seat for both the boat and the land based unit so rather than hinging the top part I made it to inset so that it can be moved from one unit to the other.
I also didn't really like the Styrofoam and thought it was kinda fragile. So I painted it with gray bilge coat and glued it to the top piece to stiffen it up and so that I didn't have to worry about a bunch of loose parts.

So anyway, here's what I ended up with. The finished dimensions are 18" high, 17" wide and 20" deep.

A little more paint and it'll be ready to be installed in the boat.
I figure that after the old head is removed, this one won't take much more than a couple of wood screws to install. Easy to remove in the unlikely event that the boat is ever sold to someone who would rather deal with a liquid system.
Old 21-02-2010, 20:35   #189

Good show, Knothead!
Thanks.
I saw the thing on ecovita's website, and posted it here, but your pics show it much better.
Old 28-02-2010, 16:23   #190

OK, two recent discoveries.
First, I've found that Simple Green, which I understand is biodegradable, works much better than dish soap for controlling odors in the urine container.
Second, it seems that the Privy Kit may take a little practice for the ladies. The first time my wife tried it, most of the liquid went into the bucket instead of the jug.
Old 28-02-2010, 16:41   #191

Sit up straight, no elbows on the table and ...
Thanks for the report, but perhaps a little too much info
Good ole Simple Green! Probably good as a spray bottle for skidmarks too.
Have you thought about a little computer fan and a vent like the prefab ones? Perhaps just the vent....
Old 28-02-2010, 17:04   #192

Quote:
Sit up straight, no elbows on the table and ...
Thanks for the report, but perhaps a little too much info
Good ole Simple Green! Probably good as a spray bottle for skidmarks too.
Have you thought about a little computer fan and a vent like the prefab ones? Perhaps just the vent....
Too much information? What part?
I thought that I was being helpful by sharing the results of my experimentation.
Sorry if I made you uncomfortable.

I am not worried about venting for the odor as it simply hasn't been a problem that emptying the bottle everyday doesn't solve.
It's just that the subject was discussed and the attributes of dish soap and sugar were mentioned.
Again, I just thought I would share my experience.
Old 28-02-2010, 17:13   #193

Just a rib.. (thinking more along the lines of your wife reading the post and saying"what ya have to go saying that for dear?)
Thanks Knothead. Good to know.
Old 28-02-2010, 17:34   #194

Quote:
Just a rib.. (thinking more along the lines of your wife reading the post and saying"what ya have to go saying that for dear?)
Thanks Knothead. Good to know.

I can see that.
Actually though, after thirty years, she's pretty hard to surprise anymore. She just kinda goes with the flow knowing that all appeals to reason, tact and good taste are pretty futile when I get interested in something.

While we're on the subject, here are some interesting old photos I found online.

Lest anyone think that composting is a new idea.

Old 28-02-2010, 17:39   #195

Now that's a great idea! A peat/sawdust/coir sprinkler! I want one of those! A first class antique!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: