Originally Posted by sarafina
O please when you get it would you let me know? Pics would be great but even just a description would be appreciated!
Sara, and anyone else interested.
I finally received my Ecovita Privy Kit. There was a little snafu with the order, and it took a long time to get here, but they eventually got it shipped off and I got a free book out of the deal for the delay. Nice people.
Anyway, here's what you get for your $112.00 plus dollars.
Basically, a plastic separating bowl, a Styrofoam seat and cover.
They provide a template on the cardboard box that you can cut out.
Oh, they also provide a piece of hose. I decided to fit the urine container right under the bowl so I didn't use the hose.
Here's what I wanted to do. First, replace this piece of crap in the boat.
Second, replace the simple bucket and jug system that I was using in the Man Cave.
So I went to the Home Depot and bought two sheets
of 3/4" ply wood that they had on sale
and had the nice fellow there cut them into enough pieces to make two units.
It only took him a 15 minutes or so and he did a much better job than I could have done at home.
I bought one cartridge of liquid nails and got out of there for just over $50.00.
I ripped down a six foot two by four that I had for the corner pieces and cleats
and started dry fitting things so that I could figure out where to cut my holes.
I cut holes in the floor of the unit so that the bucket and jug would not be able to slip or slide when the boat heels.
It was a good thing that I was planning to build twin units. I missed the location for the liquid container by about a half an inch on the first attempt, so I cut the second piece, the one that goes on the boat correctly.
I'm not nearly as concerned about the land based unit, but I wanted the one for the boat to be right. Here's a view from the top.
There will be room inside the box to keep the lids for the containers.
Because I am a real cheapskate and because the Privy kit was the most expensive part of this project
, I wanted to be able to use the separator and seat for both the boat and the land based unit so rather than hinging the top part I made it to inset so that it can be moved from one unit to the other.
I also didn't really like the Styrofoam and thought it was kinda fragile. So I painted it with gray bilge
coat and glued it to the top piece to stiffen it up and so that I didn't have to worry about a bunch of loose parts
So anyway, here's what I ended up with. The finished dimensions are 18" high, 17" wide and 20" deep.
A little more paint
and it'll be ready to be installed in the boat.
I figure that after the old head is removed, this one won't take much more than a couple of wood screws to install. Easy to remove in the unlikely event that the boat is ever sold to someone who would rather deal with a liquid system.