Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 06:09   #31

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
jcmcdowell - Thanks for sharing a different experience. I got about a month use with mine (also two people) before needing to empty it and found emptying new material to be a very different experience from emptying fully composted material.

I wonder if the nicro vent you used vents more efficiently than the standard fan that comes with it. If so, that would explain both of the above mentioned differences.

Just to clarify - The spray bottle with diluted head treatment I mentioned didn't go into the compost.- It was for the urine collection system which could get rather smelly if not treated somehow.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 12:50   #32
cruiser

Composter heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Do you have plans for those in your book?
Yes
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 23:40   #33

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Yes
Brent
Would you mind putting down the cost and address again?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 12:19   #34
cruiser

Contact me at brentswain38@yahoo.ca

Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 13:36   #35

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop
Air head

...into my 3rd year...very satisfied. I prefer solid coconut pith bricks... Home Hardware about $7 for a pack of 5 or 6.... about 1/2 of one reconstitutes sufficiently... seems to overpower any odour. I also use 50/50 white vinegar and water solution sprayed in bowl after every use. I no longer use sugar in the pee container (as per manufacturer recommend) but ad a bit of dish soap. .... Works well ...
regards
Gary
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 17:38   #36

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
The composting toilets are a great idea. I just don't understand how we are going to get the porpoises, whales, sharks, mahi mahi, red snappers, groupers, and about 100,000 other species to use them.

We tried to get them to use holding tanks, and they persisted in their nasty habits of direct discharge into the seven seas. These creatures are more than politically incorrect; they have total disregard for our oceans. I'm beginning to think there is no hope.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 19:20   #37

Other species

No problem Dave....according to an article in the New York Times recently we have already wiped out 90% of the majour pooping fish in the ocean unless of course they are all hiding under the North Pacific gyre... a floating mass of human produced garbage bigger than Texas...quite a **** I would say.

Gary
Old 15-05-2009, 20:23   #38

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguy View Post
No problem Dave....according to an article in the New York Times recently we have already wiped out 90% of the majour pooping fish in the ocean unless of course they are all hiding under the North Pacific gyre... a floating mass of human produced garbage bigger than Texas...quite a **** I would say.

Gary
As we sailed around the world, there was never a day that we didn't find trash floating in the water. It's everywhere.

In the Tuamoto Archipelago of French Polynesia, the windward side of the atolls are like trash bins catching every kind of non-biodegradable debris imaginable. It was shocking to see.

Holding tanks and composting toilets are a band-aid on the real problem of human pollution and waste. Overboard discharge of human waste is an easy target for lawmakers who don't want to deal with the real problems of human pollution.

In America, our water supply is so polluted with drugs and chemicals that the government is suppressing the truth from the public. People and the pharmaceutical industry flush trillions of pills down the toilet each year, and our water table fills up with drugs. In many places, pure water does not exist. Water is a cocktail laced with dozens of drugs that made it down to the water table.

Discharge of untreated waste into the water is bad. I wish that was the real and most serious problem that faced us. I would take that problem any day over a nation so addicted to chemicals that the water supply is no longer safe.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 10:21   #39

Nice reply Dave... thanks...

Just watched a history channel film about what would happen if humans ceased to exist on the planet...fascinating to watch the film makers opinion based on natural re-generation how the earth re-claimed herself over a period of decades. ... homo sapiens... (not)...

regards
Gary