Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2017, 15:34   #91

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Composting Toilet Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You're still not explaining why new boats don't come standard with composting heads. Or whatever they are technically called.

This forum is the only place I see people praising them.

Yes I did. See post # 14. I agreed with your query.

Forums are the only place I hear (uninformed) criticism of composting heads.
Old 27-08-2017, 16:10   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm glad it's working out for you. I was just having some fun with Mike is why I chimed in. He'd be disappointed with me if I missed a chance.

True [emoji6]
Old 27-08-2017, 18:30   #93

Boat: Sabre 34 Mk 1

Quote:
You're still not explaining why new boats don't come standard with composting heads. Or whatever they are technically called.

This forum is the only place I see people praising them.
I have never bought a new boat, only boats that are new-to-me, but I will take a stab at this!

How many new boats are sold with storm sails? Or drouges? Cabinets that stay latched in rough seas? Lee cloths? Jacklines and tethers? Life rafts? Adequate running rigging and associated hardware?

New boats are built to sell to people with a dream. New boats don't smell like a used boat (which is not a head-specific issue). New boats are perfectly clean, and everything (supposedly) works. Head hoses are not filled with raw sewage that is leaking through and reeking up the cabin. The holding tank vent has not proven itself to be too small to properly aerate the sewage in the holding tank.

Regular MSDs, while shiny and un-used, help to perpetuate the myth that you won't have to deal with your crap (as Newhaul alluded to).

Just about every boat owner (except Kenomac! :-)) has to deal with their own crap at some point - no matter what kind of head they have. Putting in a composting head would break that myth to a potential new-boat buyer and bring the dreamers crashing back to reality.Same with outfitting a new boat with a drouge.

In the real world, some boat owners prefer dealing with their crap with a regular MSD. Some prefer dealing with their crap with a composting head. But just because boat builders choose to not offer a composting head doesn't mean it isn't a good choice for the real world.
KimSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 05:19   #94

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
New vessels are primarily advertised and built targeting the " first world" buyer. Most of which were raised with the flush and forget attitude. ...........
You are probably correct. Most folks in "first world" countries buy a boat for comfort and enjoyment. "Messing around with poop" doesn't fit with that concept.

Question - Does a composting head meat the USA laws for marine sanitation devices? What happens to the sewage?
Old 28-08-2017, 05:27   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimSails View Post
Just about every boat owner (except Kenomac! :-)) has to deal with their own crap at some point - no matter what kind of head they have. Putting in a composting head would break that myth to a potential new-boat buyer and bring the dreamers crashing back to reality. ......... In the real world, some boat owners prefer dealing with their crap with a regular MSD. Some prefer dealing with their crap with a composting head. But just because boat builders choose to not offer a composting head doesn't mean it isn't a good choice for the real world.
Actually, with a head and holding tank, you can either deal with your poop at a self service pumpout station or go to a marina and ask them to do it. It's pretty painless, just clipping a hose to a fitting and pushing a button. And of course if you are where it's legal to do so, just push a button from inside your boat. You don't even have to slow down.

There are onboard treatment systems available as well that treat the sewage and pump it overboard cleaner than most city treatment systems.
Old 28-08-2017, 05:28   #96
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
You are probably correct. Most folks in "first world" countries buy a boat for comfort and enjoyment. "Messing around with poop" doesn't fit with that concept.

Question - Does a composting head meat the USA laws for marine sanitation devices? What happens to the sewage?

I had much more experience "messing around with poop" on our old standard marine systems than the composting head.
Yes the composter meets CG rules.
You can chuck the compost overboard where legal. Place it in a garden to complete its process. Put in a trash bag and throw in a dumpster. Or use it as a mud mask.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 05:38   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I had much more experience "messing around with poop" on our old standard marine systems than the composting head.
Yes the composter meets CG rules.
You can chuck the compost overboard where legal. Place it in a garden to complete its process. Put in a trash bag and throw in a dumpster. Or use it as a mud mask.
As a former serious gardener, I know not to use human waste as compost to grow food for human consumption (even though they often do this in third world countries). Not all disease causing organisms are killed by composting even if done correctly.

I also know that in many localities, it is illegal to put human or animal waste in the garbage/trash.

I just can't see storing or carrying around sacks of poop enhancing my boating enjoyment.
Old 28-08-2017, 05:43   #98
smj

Quote:
As a former serious gardener, I know not to use human waste as compost to grow food for human consumption (even though they often do this in third world countries). Not all disease causing organisms are killed by composting even if done correctly.

I also know that in many localities, it is illegal to put human or animal waste in the garbage/trash.

I just can't see storing or carrying around sacks of poop enhancing my boating enjoyment.

I never stated you should place it in a vegetable garden, maybe around a palm tree if your in the tropics.
As someone who actually has experience with both systems, I can tell you that the mixture of sewage sloshing around in your holding tank is 1000 times more vulgar than a couple of 5 gallon buckets of composting material.
You really should get some first hand experience with the composting head so you can post with first hand knowledge.
Old 28-08-2017, 06:01   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I never stated you should place it in a vegetable garden, maybe around a palm tree if your in the tropics.
As someone who actually has experience with both systems, I can tell you that the mixture of sewage sloshing around in your holding tank is 1000 times more vulgar than a couple of 5 gallon buckets of composting material.
You really should get some first hand experience with the composting head so you can post with first hand knowledge.
It doesn't matter what's in the tank, it's in a contained in a tank. And then it's pumped out and goes off to be treated along with sewage from millions of land based people.

As far as experience, don't expect me to rip out a perfectly good system to install something I don't believe will be better. Why don't you explain to me how it is used, how it works and why it is better than a normal boat sanitation system.

BTW: Sprinkling dried human poop around a palm tree is fine if it's your palm tree but not is it belongs to someone else or the public.
Old 28-08-2017, 06:06   #100
smj

Quote:
It doesn't matter what's in the tank, it's in a contained in a tank. And then it's pumped out and goes off to be treated along with sewage from millions of land based people.

As far as experience, don't expect me to rip out a perfectly good system to install something I don't believe will be better. Why don't you explain to me how it is used, how it works and why it is better than a normal boat sanitation system.

These things have been explained to you countless times. I don't expect you to rip out a system your happy with. From your countless posts it's obvious your anti composting head. It's also obvious from your countless posts you have no experience with composting heads and you haven't been able to absorb the information that's been presented in front of you.
Old 28-08-2017, 06:19   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Ron your comments in post#97

Your comments in post #99

Lead me to believe what your feelings are concerning composting heads.
Btw how do you think most city sewage treatment plants actually operate.
They remove the lquids from the solids then use the dried solids as fertilizer. ( at least the ones I have worked with)
Old 28-08-2017, 06:23   #102

Ron, why do you appear to need to prove that composting heads are wrong or bad choices? You like the standard marine head. That's great. Others of us who have experience with both find that the composter is best for us. Why does this bother you?
Old 28-08-2017, 06:36   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ron, why do you appear to need to prove that composting heads are wrong or bad choices? You like the standard marine head. That's great. Others of us who have experience with both find that the composter is best for us. Why does this bother you?
It doesn't bother me, it's the direct and implied insults.

Nobody has even attempted to explain why a composting head is more convenient or easier to use and deal with than a conventional system, they just turn it into an attack on anyone who isn't using a composting head.
Old 28-08-2017, 06:46   #104

Show me where someone has attacked you for not using a composting head. You have been criticized for offering uninformed opinions about composting heads. And it's been suggested that if you want to offer such opinions that you get some actual experience with one first. But I've missed the posts that attack you simply for not using one -- unless you're advocating the notion that uninformed opinion is somehow a good thing ... see, I'm confused.

If you are honestly asking your questions then, as has been stated, the answers have been given many, many times. A simple search would get you all you ask for.
Old 28-08-2017, 06:50   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
It doesn't bother me, it's the direct and implied insults.

Nobody has even attempted to explain why a composting head is more convenient or easier to use and deal with than a conventional system, they just turn it into an attack on anyone who isn't using a composting head.
Ron you it seems always post aginst composting heads on many threads concerning composting heads .
Even when you not having one makes your posts truthfully are not germane to the discussion or the questions asked by the op.
This thread is a prime example.

From the op

I've read all of the benefits of outfitting a boat with a composting head. They seem to have the capacity choices of 2-4 people for normal use. That would work for me as 1-3 would normally be aboard. But I'd like to ask those that already have composting heads a question about the occasions, when there are guests aboard. 6 people for a 1 week cruise, a mix of adults and children. How do you deal with the extra use? More trips to the land based dumpster? Extra buckets for storage? How do you instruct your guests, especially the children? And has "over use" ever been a problem for you?

End quote.
Which states that he is asking for experience info from people with composting heads only .
Not asking for the "should I install or not" question.

Tags
oil, posting