Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-08-2012, 12:12   #61

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: Composting Toilet - Nature's Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
This discussion is just too weird for me to take part in any longer...

Why would anyone want an outhouse inside their house???
devils advocate says..... Why would you want a pee poo concoction sloshing around inside?
composting seems more sanitary to some of us.

Either way, its up to the owner of the boat.

Old 25-08-2012, 13:51   #62

I find it interesting how many who aren't interested in a composting toilet still offer their two cents?!?
I began this review for those wanting to know about Natures Head and if it would be worth it for them to consider. I'll say it again as have so many Natures Head owners. Get it. You'll wonder why you worried and hesitated. I can very easily see myself getting another one and getting rid of holding tanks and pump puts forever.
For those of you that think it's okay to help ruin our oceans by dumping human sewage into it whether it's legal or not- get educated and get your heads out of the sand. Those are the same kind of people that throw a cigarette butt into the water but don't think it's polluting.
Get the Natures Head if you're thinking about it. You'll have no regrets.

Old 23-09-2012, 13:09   #63

I have only seen a passing reference to this, but I'm wondering for women, how well the separation works? For men it's easy but for us girls, I'm a bit worried about pee trickling into the compost area and causing things to smell... Has this been an issue for others?
Old 23-09-2012, 13:50   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
I have only seen a passing reference to this, but I'm wondering for women, how well the separation works? For men it's easy but for us girls, I'm a bit worried about pee trickling into the compost area and causing things to smell... Has this been an issue for others?
normally only an issue for girls with heavy piercings fitted to their nether parts, as this can cause a spray pattern,for years we only had a bucket,and i can attest to the fact that when it came to a pissing contest over the side girls could not only piss futher,and with more accuracy than their male counter parts.............
Old 23-09-2012, 13:55   #65

There was a yank came through here on the way to Asia, Pulled out his composting toilet and re-installed the usual Marine head. Now it had something about being unable to get rid of the tiny black flies. Is this a common occurrence is it just an issue in the tropics. Don't you love cruisers get togethers, conversation seems to always get around to the head.

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 13:58   #66

Well...Terminalcitygirl...good question. I asked the wife and that only happens if both functions are being performed simultaneously. The pee may do a slight trickle in with the trap door open, but not enough to make an impact. Normally while peeing the trap door is closed and it all goes into the pail. I will say that a little more attention could have been given to the design of the pee bucket for pouring time. It doesn't always pour nicely and some will run down the sides. For full time live aboard that still go to work every day you'll be emptying the solids once a month. If two of you are retired and using it day and night you'll be emptying minimum every two weeks. The optimum for full time live aboards would be to have two Natures Heads. You'd no doubt go months by sharing the load (sorry - no pun intended) between the two. Wonderful not having to pump out anymore...even better not having to use the Marina Head! It's a long walk! We're now self sufficient. Great!
Old 23-09-2012, 14:10   #67
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
There was a yank came through here on the way to Asia, Pulled out his composting toilet and re-installed the usual Marine head. Now it had something about being unable to get rid of the tiny black flies. Is this a common occurrence is it just an issue in the tropics. Don't you love cruisers get togethers, conversation seems to always get around to the head.
We've had the black flies a couple of times. Usually get them because the head is overdue to be changed or overdue to be fed some peat. Once you get them if you don't get rid of all the eggs they will return. Just part of the learning process involved with composting heads.
Old 23-09-2012, 18:58   #68
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
In general? No. The comment about the little bit of trickle not mattering makes sense. The C head has no trap door, but you learn pretty quick what angle to sit at and then it's easy.

RebelHeart had a composting head for a year and really liked it and then they got tiny red bugs, maybe spiders or mites, maybe from the composting material they were using, maybe not. RedCharlotte freaked out like any new mother would and that head came out pronto, so it's not for everyone. Although I have often wondered if at another time in their lives when not living with the desperate sleep deprivation that accompanies the arrival of the first child they might not have been able to ride out the learning curve for fixing the problem. ; -)

Every onboard sanitation system has it's quirks and challenges. You pick your poisons...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 19:13   #69

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
In general? No. The comment about the little bit of trickle not mattering makes sense. The C head has no trap door, but you learn pretty quick what angle to sit at and then it's easy.
How do you think younger kids would go with it? Not a problem for us right now, but you never know ...!

Quote:
Every onboard sanitation system has it's quirks and challenges. You pick your poisons...
Hell yes

We have been looking into the composting option for a while but I'm a bit worried about the space it takes up and the extent of modifications we'll need to make it fit. Do people find they are prohibitively larger than a wet system (above the floor of course, not including the holding tank).

Cheers!
Old 23-09-2012, 19:18   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think kids old enough that they aren't using a potty chair could master the technique. With training. And incentive ; -)

And while they all have different foot prints the chead we have is tiny. 18" deep, 18" high and 15" wide.

Better

Old 23-09-2012, 19:24   #71

Quote:
I think kids old enough that they aren't using a potty chair could master the technique. With training. And incentive ; -)

And while they all have different foot prints the chead we have is tiny. 18" deep, 18" high and 15" wide.

Better
Thanks sarafina
For some reason I thought the C-head didnt ship internationally, but I see on their website that they do - maybe got confused with Natures Head. Looks like good value.
Old 23-09-2012, 19:26   #72

Boat: Cal 2-27

i have had my c head for the summer and love it. Cleanest no smell head I could have gotten. Cheap too.
Old 23-09-2012, 21:46   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSun View Post
Thanks sarafina
For some reason I thought the C-head didnt ship internationally, but I see on their website that they do - maybe got confused with Natures Head. Looks like good value.
I have been very impressed with the design and quality; simple, fool proof, smart, sturdy & efficient.

Old 23-09-2012, 21:51   #74

Quote:
I have been very impressed with the design and quality; simple, fool proof, smart, sturdy & efficient.
Does the smaller size mean you have to empty it a lot? How often? Do you transfer it to another container or just dump it (legally of course!)
Thanks sarafina.
Old 23-09-2012, 22:21   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Usage shifts alot. We have the angled model but it hasn't been much different from the straight one which has a slightly deeper compartment. It fits in our space better so we had ours modified when Sandy came out with the angled back. Got us a coupla more inches of clearance!

Every two weeks seems about right, for us, for scheduling emptying. Dump the dry contents into a smallish plastic garbage bag and it goes up to the dumpster at our marina. In the marina during the day we often use the marina facilities on our way in and out over the course of the day.

We got the head right before we started remodeling the boat so our usage is all over the place right now, depending on how much we are there working during the week.

When Himself goes back to living aboard 80% of the time and I am there 1 or 2 nights a week we will see how much increase we see in the fill speed.
I expect that when we go out for a week or more we will take the 5 gallon bucket backup container to empty into.

I would like, at some point to plumb the urine collector to pump out, but right now it gets emptied every other day. It's a big gallon milk jug so having back ups is easy and cheap.

Tags
head

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: