Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 06:07   #286

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Composting Toilet - Nature's Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
As for venting, we ran the hose along the same path that the PO took when he had installed the marine head and then put a mushroom vent where the pump out had been.
I had people trying to tell me I should install a dorade box for venting but I went with a mushroom vent too. I thought it suited my boat more being lower profile. So far, I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
We used the coir brick and it was a real hassle breaking it up (probably didn't use enough water) so I'm thinking about switching to peat moss/diatomaceous earth combo for the future.

I got coir bricks for my Airhead and really wasn't too bad getting it ready, just try not to rush it. As it soaks up water, remove the wet part out of the way for the dryer part to soak up more. just add water as needed to break it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskye33 View Post
Has anyone managed to fit a composting toilet (any brand) into a Tartan 33? It's gonna be a real tight fit, and I'd love to hear from anyone who was successful
I thought it was a bit of a tight fit when installing an Airhead onto my boat, a Nor'sea 27. I recently did a video to show how it was installed after I was asked a few questions about it. Might help give you an idea of how much space is needed for installation.

Airhead on Nor'sea 27

Oh and I haven't used the head yet. Shortly after it was installed, I had to haul out the boat and bring it back home.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 06:53   #287

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Composting Toilet - Nature's Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
.... I got coir bricks for my Airhead and really wasn't too bad getting it ready, just try not to rush it. As it soaks up water, remove the wet part out of the way for the dryer part to soak up more. just add water as needed to break it up..
I was aware of the water technique but it SEEMS counterproductive to dessication, tho I'll grant that peat moss nor fresh sawdust isn't dry as a bone like the dusty coir I liberated from the brick. I guess I'll try the water deal, the coir is kinda expensive to just discard.

The hassle factor bothers me too. To put the brick I got off Amazon (11#?) in water would require breaking it up a little to get in a bucket. This means space that I don't have on board to wrassle around with all this. I had to take the brick all the way ashore (OK, I just stepped off the boat onto the dock) but it would be very tough for a smaller boat person to deal with on the hook, I'd think. Another point for the multihullers.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 07:15   #288

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I was aware of the water technique but it SEEMS counterproductive to dessication, tho I'll grant that peat moss nor fresh sawdust isn't dry as a bone like the dusty coir I liberated from the brick. I guess I'll try the water deal, the coir is kinda expensive to just discard.

The hassle factor bothers me too. To put the brick I got off Amazon (11#?) in water would require breaking it up a little to get in a bucket. This means space that I don't have on board to wrassle around with all this. I had to take the brick all the way ashore (OK, I just stepped off the boat onto the dock) but it would be very tough for a smaller boat person to deal with on the hook, I'd think. Another point for the multihullers.
You were trying to break it up to use it dry? The instructions I've seen is to use water to break it apart and when you do this, it expands. I believe part of this is that you don't want it all completely wet (which I did do), and have some pieces that are dry that would soak up remaining moisture. Also note, when you add water, it expands. Which I do show by how much in the video I posted.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 07:40   #289

Boat: Rafiki 37

It really isn't that hard to break apart the coir brick if you use a knife to wedge off thinner layers. It then breaks apart pretty easy. Adding some water is fine, but it does add unnecessary moisture. The point of these heads are to dry out the deposits.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 26-08-2014, 07:49   #290

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

The airhead instructions tell you to use water with the coir, it is still pretty dry though. Are you guys using it totally dry? After soaking up the moisture it dosnt seem any wetter than peat moss to me. Im just going by memory though as I hav'nt used it this year.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 07:54   #291

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31
When using the coir brick gotten from pet shop for reptile bedding I broke it into some rather large pieces. Then put in a 2 gal. ziplock bag with 1 1/2 cups of water let sit over night then break up by hand. I left it in the bag till ready to use. 2 blocks to 1 change. I prefer Ferti Lome brand peat in 8 qt. bags. 1bag = 1 change lasts two of us 5-6 wks full time on board.
tybee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 08:00   #292

There is a bit of mis-information on this thread.

No composting manufacturer lists thier units as a desication device. Composting usually involes moist but not wet conditions (ie: air can penetrate the pile). Deposits typically have thier moisture content reduce over a day or two because they come out with high water content. But they never get bone dry.

So getting coir moist enough to beak apart shouldn't be an issue but keep excess water from being put in the base. Now if you throw it in base and pour a couple gallons of water on top...that's wet and the air can't penetrate, so you may run into a situation where it turns anerobic and you have smells and bugs attracted.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:43   #293
h20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskye33 View Post
Has anyone managed to fit a composting toilet (any brand) into a Tartan 33? It's gonna be a real tight fit, and I'd love to hear from anyone who was successful
SAME on my 35 o'day! Now I could buy a 1000k composter, then bust my butt trying to get it in cutting up my boat. So, why not simply build a nice box that fits perfect. I could line it with a 2nd box that fits a trash bag liner, then have a tumbler to stir the stuff up, like natures head. But still need to look at the venting system. Thinking of a smple dc fan, but don't like to cut holes in the boat. Put a post about if anybody made a really cool composter! It could be plywood, then a little fiberglass and paint.
Something like this would last forever. Also, thinkin of the pee chamber, my wife won't like me peeing in a cup and leaving her out, I guess girls just can't aim that good?
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:16   #294

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

You might get some ideas from the SailFar.net discussion: The $10-20 or even free composting toilet.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:54   #295

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Privy 500 urine separator from Separett-USA with reused 2 gal plastic water bottle or laundry detergent jug.

JimK
Old 13-10-2014, 00:32   #296

Boat: Mac 26X

My thread here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/self-designed-large-capacity-compost-head-104810-2.html#post1315489
Might be of some interest. It works for me. I used the Privy, it's nice but pricey and the US distributer is neither prompt nor friendly. Ocean Girl used the "C-Head" parts, and they are super helpful. That's where I'd go.

I stand by the statement that all these heads are desiccating unless you have time to watch them compost. The coir brick does require water to expand and be useful; the trick is to use the minimum, which is FAR less than the instructions say. Remember, this material is meant as a growing medium. Moister in plants: Good. Moisture in toilet: Stink.
Old 13-10-2014, 03:20   #297

I don't have a composting head, but this is a pretty good video these rv'ers made about preping one for use.

How to Prep and Dump a Composting Toilet - YouTube
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 04:52   #298

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Privy 500 urine separator from Separett-USA with reused 2 gal plastic water bottle or laundry detergent jug.

JimK
For dealing with the urine I cut out the middleman and go straight to the laundry detergent jug.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 08:18   #299

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Attachment 89653 Here's Sedna's head so far... I'd like to improve the poop container and add a stirrer. Like Gordo's mine desicates the poop. I occasionally add a little moisture and stir but don't have a guest friendly mechanism. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1413213482.775985.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	89654

JimK
Old 13-10-2014, 08:52   #300

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Composting Toilet - Nature's Head

That's an issue: guest friendliness. I'm not comfortable with my C-Head in that regard, then add in the disposal of tissue issue ...

That great little video above answered one question for me, as the high dollar unit didn't appear to be a lot larger than my less stylish bucket. 60-80 uses sounds wildly optimistic to me.

Altho perhaps it's true that just I'm full of it.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head