Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2014, 14:10   #271

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Composting Toilet - Nature's Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH View Post
What is the actual dimensions of the head.. I would love to have one..

Did you actually plug your thru hulls? or just close the valves and loop them.
Did you get rid of the holding tank? I know in mine that in it self would be a bitch in a half..

Hi Ken, not sure of the dimensions, but you can get it off their website. We haven't sealed the thru hulls yet. I'm going to use the water intake for a deck wash pump, and the macerator outflow is large and hard to properly glass over, so I'm not sure yet what to do. Right now it is sealed and bunged off.

We did remove our holding tank and all associated hoses. This was a huge benefit for us as we recovered a ton of usable storage space. Each boat will be different though.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 24-08-2014, 07:58   #272

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Mike, when you emptied after 34 days what did you do with it? I have the Airhead and last summer delivering my Gemini cat back from CT to Duluth we emptied it twice during the 32 day trip with 3 - 4 people on board. We bagged it and put it in the trash where we were tied up for the night along with the rest of our galley waste etc. However i cant say im completely comfortable with this solution as i don't know where it ends up. I have no problem throwing it in a dumpster at a marina because they go to a lined landfill (at least in the US) due to the mix of stuff that goes in them such as bottom paint waste etc however i don't know where the trash bins at, say the locks on the erie canal end up. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as you bag it in bags that will decompose in the landfill, unlike disposable diapers which i feel should be outlawed.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 09:59   #273

Hi Steve, our most recent dump was into a land outhouse ... the kind that is basically a hole in the ground. Our semi-composted addition was probably good for the mix. That's why we dumped early; it was a good opportunity. Other times I've taken it ashore and dumped in a shallow grave well away from the water or people. Cruising Lake Superior it's easy to find remote places on shore.

I too am less than comfortable with the bag-into-trash bin idea, but as you say, it is far better than stuff like diapers. I'd prefer to dump in remote places where the composting can continue.

BTW, the longer we have the NH the better we are getting at managing the mix. This last dump was impressive in that while the pile was still not fully composted, there was absolutely nothing offensive at all. Not to make anyone squirm, but I was pretty personal with the last pile as I troweled it into the outhouse. Completely like moist soil. No bad odours, nothing ugly at all.

At this point I'd say a composting head is an absolute no-brainer for cruisers (as long as the volumes are kept to spec).

Old 24-08-2014, 11:49   #274

Hi Mike, yes, dumping it into a long drop should be a good thing, I just used the one at Two Harbors last night. Thinking about it as long as you use a compostable bag I don't think it would be a problem in any landfill. Yes, there is nothing quite like and extended cruise to get very familiar with the think. We got very good at using just a few squares of tp and folded it up and disposed of it in a Ziploc bag for later disposal rather than putting it in the tank, not a big deal imho. I will never go back to the old system. I was at the marina last week where they were replacing about 25ft of hose on a powerboat, the cost of the hose alone will cost a fortune not to mention the labor to snake that stuff throughout the boat and you know its not going to last, I made the suggestion of at least using rigid pvc but they wouldn't hear of it, not much money to be made on the markup I suppose.

Steve.
Old 24-08-2014, 18:17   #275

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Composting Toilet - Nature's Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
...I'd prefer to dump in remote places where the composting can continue. I think this is the best we can do right now. Someone has already suggested a compost disposal bin next to the pumpout at marinas and gas docks. Gotta be in the future of NDZs.

... At this point I'd say a composting head is an absolute no-brainer for cruisers (as long as the volumes are kept to spec).

Yes sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
... Thinking about it as long as you use a compostable bag I don't think it would be a problem in any landfill.

It seems that the normal grocery plastic bags disintegrate fairly well. A 30 gal trash bag can't be far behind.

... We got very good at using just a few squares of tp and folded it up and disposed of it in a Ziploc bag for later disposal rather than putting it in the tank, not a big deal imho. Steve.
I've been on CF for a few years and I suppose there have been other, earlier composting head threads but the first one I remember featured Rebel Heart asking the hard, embarrassing questions as he was shopping for a head. It was a riot to read as few of us want to talk about this stuff. Almost commonplace now, eh?

For those without a phonographic memory like mine, the Rebs had a bigtime ugly icky white bug infestival and re-installed their wet head system.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 19:13   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I've been on CF for a few years and I suppose there have been other, earlier composting head threads but the first one I remember featured Rebel Heart asking the hard, embarrassing questions as he was shopping for a head. It was a riot to read as few of us want to talk about this stuff. Almost commonplace now, eh?

For those without a phonographic memory like mine, the Rebs had a bigtime ugly icky white bug infestival and re-installed their wet head system.
And yet most of us don't have this problem, at least not yet. I would rather sort out a bug problem than any part of a holding tank system.

Steve.
Old 25-08-2014, 06:24   #277

Boat: Bristol 29.9

We successfully installed our Nature's Head yesterday. It actually went a lot more smoothly than I thought. We needed to raise it a few inches to get clearance for the latches on the vent (it was going in an existing "box") so we cut some 2x4's to make a base for it to sit on.

As for venting, we ran the hose along the same path that the PO took when he had installed the marine head and then put a mushroom vent where the pump out had been.

Our only hiccup was wiring the fan. We decided to run it off of one of the cabin lights in the v-berth, but we were unable to keep it running unless the light was on, even when we tried to wire it "above" the light switch. No big deal for now - we just removed the LED. We are electric novices so we'll do a little research this week and see if there's a workaround that will allow us to still have the light. If not, we'll buy some longer wire and run it directly to the electrical panel.

We used the coir brick and it was a real hassle breaking it up (probably didn't use enough water) so I'm thinking about switching to peat moss/diatomaceous earth combo for the future.

We'll be back on the boat next weekend so we'll get to start using it, and the week after that we'll be heading out on our two week cruise. I can't tell you how thrilled I am not to have to deal with the portapotty any more. Taking it off the boat yesterday for the final time was fantastic.
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 07:14   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
... We used the coir brick and it was a real hassle breaking it up (probably didn't use enough water) so I'm thinking about switching to peat moss/diatomaceous earth combo for the future.
I have most of a big brick of coir to throw away. I attacked it with a claw hammer and broke off enough for a month but it was like going a few rounds with Mike Tyson. But the worst thing is the dust. Back to peat moss for me.
Old 25-08-2014, 08:10   #279
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Y'all should just try reading the directions for once. And here's a hint.....they don't mention claw hammers. Try water.
Old 25-08-2014, 08:13   #280

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I think there are a few billion Asians who would disagree.
+1. Honey wagon fertilized rice fields. Best rice I have ever eaten!
Old 25-08-2014, 13:11   #281

I just get my knife in the coir brick and pry a thin layer off. It then breaks apart easy. But adding a bit of water in a sealed plastic bag, and putting it in the sun for a couple of hours does the trick too. Don't add too much water though. The point is to have a dry bed for the deposits.

Old 25-08-2014, 13:53   #282
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We would put the brick in a bucket and add about a pint of water. Leave it for an hour or so and it should come apart pretty easily. If not ad more water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 19:32   #283

THX Found red oak/poplar sawdust to try. Hard woods for hard asses. Make a nice tatoo.
Old 26-08-2014, 05:17   #284

I have only used the coir so far, i put the brick in a bucket with the prescribed amount of water as per the airhead instructions and soak it overnight, i don't remember the amount but it comes apart fairly easily and i have to crumble a few bits with my hands so it is pretty dry. I like the ease of storage of the coir so i think i will stick with it.

Steve.
Old 26-08-2014, 05:55   #285

Boat: Tartan 33

Has anyone managed to fit a composting toilet (any brand) into a Tartan 33? It's gonna be a real tight fit, and I'd love to hear from anyone who was successful
blueskye33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head