Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 18:53   #166
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
EighthWonder, after 7 years of owning composting toilets I don't think I could have said it better. Great post and yes NaturesHeads after sales service is unbelievable!
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 19:03   #167

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731
Re: Composting Toilet - Nature's Head

I seen a Natures Head that had a small pump located about a yard from the potty bucket and a small hose that went into it using a plastic nipple with threads. There was a switch on the bulkhead that I assume turned the pump on. This seems piratical but not for the marina environment.
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 05:04   #168

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

We just got ours yesterday. Went with Nature's Head. Could see no real difference between AH and NH. Customer service finally sold me. We bought our's from dealer near Ashland,Wi. Did so just in case a problem, dealer would be looking at me instead of talking at a phone. Our jabsco will be gone as soon as it warms here. Real tired of pump-out not working dock filled with week-enders,etc. almost went back to the port-a-potti style we had on our O'day, pump-out or carry away, but tired of carry away part. Only concern is if a person could buy some "contaminated" material and bring some unwanted "guests"aboard. Bug spray would not really be wanted for the composting process. Wife thought buy a big bag of peat, put it in seperate 1 gal. zip lock bags for easy storage. We will be spending at least 2 months on Lake Superior this summer, thought this would be best storage remedy for that amount of time. Anyone else have a good idea for storage? Little longer than mfg. suggested replacement time.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 05:19   #169

QUOTE: We will be spending at least 2 months on Lake Superior this summer, thought this would be best storage remedy for that amount of time. Anyone else have a good idea for storage? Little longer than mfg. suggested replacement time.[/QUOTE]

We've not had bug issues at all. I keep a 5 gallon pail with a lid filled with peat moss. If I press it down good it'll do about 3 changes give or take. In time that's about 3 months worth.
PS- I have a big cockpit ;-)
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 05:28   #170

Fantastic! Never thought of a bucket! So often we pass the obvious. That will work much better than the bags the German wanted to bring. Only 2 of you on the boat? About 3 months worth! Sounds like my kind of remedy. Thank you. Bob
Old 24-01-2014, 05:45   #171

Boat: Rafiki 37

We use compressed coir (coconut husks). The bricks are ... brick size. They take up very little space. We store them in plastic bag until ready to use. I prime our NH with one brick. They need to be broken with the addition of a small amount water (~a cup) and a bit of muscle effort.
Old 24-01-2014, 05:51   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We use compressed coir (coconut husks). The bricks are ... brick size. They take up very little space. We store them in plastic bag until ready to use. I prime our NH with one brick. They need to be broken with the addition of a small amount water (~a cup) and a bit of muscle effort.
Try getting that in Canada!! lol ;-)
It's hard to find and much more expensive than peat moss here...
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 05:56   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthWonder View Post
Try getting that in Canada!! lol ;-)
It's hard to find and much more expensive than peat moss here...
Hmmm, I live in Canada. You can buy peat moss at almost any gardening store. I think coir is also being sold that way, although we easily bought ours from an online store.
Old 24-01-2014, 06:01   #174

Boat: Leopard 40

We find coconut coir bricks in the pet stores. They are about $7 for 3 bricks.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 09:35   #175

If I read instructions correct, bust up a brick(lb or so?) and put it in head, about half way through cycle, add another brick or lb. that sound about right. This recipe is for 2 adults and was told this would be good for around 25 days or so. What are other findings? Kind of curious.
Old 24-01-2014, 09:43   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnCamie View Post
If I read instructions correct, bust up a brick(lb or so?) and put it in head, about half way through cycle, add another brick or lb. that sound about right. This recipe is for 2 adults and was told this would be good for around 25 days or so. What are other findings? Kind of curious.
Sounds pretty much what we did. We started with a brick, and then add a handful whenever the cranking started to get harder. We easily went the month (and then some), with just two of us on board.

NOTE: I've only used our NH for one season so far, so am still refining the amounts.
Old 24-01-2014, 09:55   #177

Mike, thank you. That is what I was told by salesman, but you know. I am sitting here looking at mine right now. Will move to room that has all the boat stuff in it as soon as I am done going over it. Would coconut husk be better? Wonder how hard to find. Seems peat moss is about everywhere. Pet store for access to coconut. Will try, but wonder how many pet stores in areas we will be heading hopefully this fall. Read one guys talked about leaves. Novel idea. I also read to mount head athwartship. Supposed to work better? Would be very hard in our S-2. Cannot see reasoning for that.
Old 24-01-2014, 10:08   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnCamie View Post
Pet store for access to coconut. Will try, but wonder how many pet stores in areas we will be heading hopefully this fall. Read one guys talked about leaves. Novel idea. I also read to mount head athwartship. Supposed to work better? Would be very hard in our S-2. Cannot see reasoning for that.
We mix the coir brick with water in a bucket and then fill the head. We have used peat before and it works ok too but the coir seems a little better if you can get it.
There was a time we were in the Berry Islands for a while and realized we forgot our coir. So, being the resourceful man he is, my husband went scouring the local palm trees for loose leaves and coconut husk. We peeled it and rinsed it with fresh water, dried it in the sun and then cut it up with scissors and put it in the head. It actually worked pretty good and lasted the last week or so we were there!
Old 24-01-2014, 10:14   #179

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop

I have had an AH since they came out and at first used coconut pith. I have since found that just rotting vegetation including wet rotted leaves (not dirt) typically near fallen trees etc works very well and certainly masks if not makes very satisfactory the exhaust air. I usually gather up about 1/2 green garbage bag which lasts for a couple of months and easily fits near engine room.
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 10:18   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcguy View Post
I have had an AH since they came out and at first used coconut pith. I have since found that just rotting vegetation including wet rotted leaves (not dirt) typically near fallen trees etc works very well and certainly masks if not makes very satisfactory the exhaust air. I usually gather up about 1/2 green garbage bag which lasts for a couple of months and easily fits near engine room.
Ah, that is interesting and might give this a try. Lately I have been saving my coffee and tea grounds and toss those in. The exhaust does seem to smell better.

Tags
head