Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2015, 19:36   #106

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Composting heads for long term Cruising?

Rustic, how do you empty your holding tank when up the river? AFAIK there are no pump outs on the Tamar? I can think of nothing worse than leaving a half full holding tank to moulder for a few weeks or months.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-09-2015, 19:38   #107
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I find this quite a funny thread

Now don't get me wrong guys and gals, I applaud you all for your environmental consciousness if that's what it is.

But, whilst I think i'm pretty conscious of the environment, reading this forum, I really can't see any incentive to change from my very noisy but efficient and reasonably cheap 'mulch it and dump it overboard' system.

I read with some amusement those of you who have these wonderful systems and claim 'there's very little maintenance' required, but then talkabout disposals, separation of liquids, need for additives and all the rest.

I just push a button and it goes ZZZZZZZZZZ into a holding tank and then flick a seacock and it silently feeds the fish and it's all done. In four years I've had one clogg which cleared it's self after 15 minutes. ummm, who's got the better system

I don't think this thread has anything to do with the environmental superiority of a composting head, just a different option to the standard marine setup. I also think it's been mentioned that most of the posters here that use the composting toilet also have experience with a standard marine setup, some actually probably have more than 4 years of experience! By all means if you feel comfortable with your pump it and dump it system then go right ahead, just please don't do it in an anchorage that's being enjoyed by other responsible boaters.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 20:52   #108

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I don't think this thread has anything to do with the environmental superiority of a composting head, just a different option to the standard marine setup. I also think it's been mentioned that most of the posters here that use the composting toilet also have experience with a standard marine setup, some actually probably have more than 4 years of experience! By all means if you feel comfortable with your pump it and dump it system then go right ahead, just please don't do it in an anchorage that's being enjoyed by other responsible boaters.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Agree and as previously said will probably change one of heads to an Air G
Head.
But that final bit of the last sentence applies equally if not slightly more so to the composting lot if only due to the liquid disposal method.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 20:56   #109

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

This urine diverter just arrived for our dry toilet build. Quality is superb, and at that price, made fiberglassing my own not worth the time.

Compost Loo Urine Diverter Separator for Composting Eco Toilet EG Separett | eBay

We decided to go composting due to strange angles in our odd shaped head (standard toilet would have to be horribly elevated), not wanting to spend the money or tie-up space for a holding tank (that's only used in the US), and not wanting the smell ever again. Our Sabre's system was smell free 99% of the time, but close that valve to push to the holding tank and you'd clear out the cockpit quick.

Plus, it's fun to try something different..... even if it is with your poo

Matt
Old 20-09-2015, 23:54   #110

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Just started building my setup today as well. Ripped out the old wet head yesterday. Looks good so far.

Old 21-09-2015, 00:50   #111

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
This urine diverter just arrived for our dry toilet build. Quality is superb, and at that price, made fiberglassing my own not worth the time.

Compost Loo Urine Diverter Separator for Composting Eco Toilet EG Separett | eBay

We decided to go composting due to strange angles in our odd shaped head (standard toilet would have to be horribly elevated), not wanting to spend the money or tie-up space for a holding tank (that's only used in the US), and not wanting the smell ever again. Our Sabre's system was smell free 99% of the time, but close that valve to push to the holding tank and you'd clear out the cockpit quick.

Plus, it's fun to try something different..... even if it is with your poo

Matt
That's funny..
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 00:58   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Rustic, how do you empty your holding tank when up the river? AFAIK there are no pump outs on the Tamar? I can think of nothing worse than leaving a half full holding tank to moulder for a few weeks or months.

It's the Tamar River It's so full of ****, sorry, poop, from the four city sewage treatment plants that every time it rains pump raw sewage into the river, that no one worries about emptying their toilet into the river. And of course given the disgusting state of the river and the cities infrastructure, it would be pretty hypocritical if the authorities started to police it.

That's my pollytical response. In all honesty I don't use the toilet for heavies whilst up the city end. Even down the bottom where I'm on the mooring I don't use it for anything other than urine. I use the club toilets unless I'm about to head out the river. As soon as I'm at the Low Head end then I start discharging. But I certainly know of others, even at the marina in Launceston who use their heads at the marina.. And again, it's to do with the fact that it's such a polluted river already and also because overall there's few boats in Tasmania that have holding tanks too.
Old 21-09-2015, 02:01   #113
cruiser

Quote:
It's the Tamar River It's so full of ****, sorry, poop, from the four city sewage treatment plants that every time it rains pump raw sewage into the river, that no one worries about emptying their toilet into the river. And of course given the disgusting state of the river and the cities infrastructure, it would be pretty hypocritical if the authorities started to police it.
Rusty,

Now you're in trouble, just wait until the U.S. Poop patrol finds out about this. There's gunna be some heavy duty hand wringing, poohysteria and general dissatisfaction from the greenies.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 02:24   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Rusty,

Now you're in trouble, just wait until the U.S. Poop patrol finds out about this. There's gunna be some heavy duty hand wringing, poohysteria and general dissatisfaction from the greenies.

'The U.S. ' you do realise the river is in Australia, more specifically Tasmania which is off the coast of the state of New Zealand.
Old 21-09-2015, 02:28   #115
cruiser

Quote:

'The U.S. ' you do realise the river is in Australia, more specifically Tasmania which is off the coast of the state of New Zealand.
Yes, I did realize that, but it's the U.S. CF internet poolice who will come down on you. Let the hand wringing begin.
I had one of the U.S. green poolice on my boat briefly last summer who lectured me on how flushing my marine head in Southern Spain effected his water quality off Dana Point California. What an idiot.
Old 21-09-2015, 02:40   #116

Quote:
Yes, I did realize that, but it's the U.S. CF internet poolice who will come down on you. Let the hand wringing begin.
of course, well if it's any consultation I eat only vegetarian food so that's got to be better for the environment.

(Not really but I do only eat vegetarian cows and sheep
Old 21-09-2015, 02:57   #117
cruiser

Quote:
of course, well if it's any consultation I eat only vegetarian food so that's got to be better for the environment.

(Not really but I do only eat vegetarian cows and sheep
You're like the people who only eat happy, socially well-adjusted, free range chickens.
Old 21-09-2015, 03:11   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
I had one of the U.S. green poolice on my boat briefly last summer who lectured me on how flushing my marine head in Southern Spain effected his water quality off Dana Point California. What an idiot.
I have a colleague, whose dump, to be fair would affect not only Dana Point California, but also all of Europe.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 03:27   #119

Quote:
You're like the people who only eat happy, socially well-adjusted, free range chickens.
exactly yes.

And my pork toils the ground too.

I drove past a big bill board just last week that had a picture of a puppy and a piglet and my daughter asked why they were there so I read the caption which was, 'why do you pat one and eat the other?'. Well apart from my daughter pointing out that we pat our pigs too (at her school farm) she answered it with, was "because one is full of yummy bacon"

That's my girl
Old 21-09-2015, 03:30   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
exactly yes.

And my pork toils the ground too.

I drove past a big bill board just last week that had a picture of a puppy and a piglet and my daughter asked why they were there so I read the caption which was, 'why do you pat one and eat the other?'. Well apart from my daughter pointing out that we pat our pigs too (at her school farm) she answered it with, was "because one is full of yummy bacon"

That's my girl
Its only where we are born that makes a differentiation. I hear dog is yummy too.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, head, long term cruising, posting