Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 14:22   #16

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Composting Head when heeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Okay, forgive the rude question, but what do you do with the dessicated turds? Cache them for when you get somewhere they can be flushed? Bury them in other folks' back yards in the dark of night? I can see if you were in wilderness areas, you could easily bury them, not so much, if it is primarily civilized.

Also, for that matter, how do you deal with the urine, how large a container do you need for, say, 3 weeks? I assume you empty that ashore in a public restroom? If you have a turd cache, how big would it need to be for 3 weeks? [We are often away from facilities for that length of time.]

Ann
"turd cache" - love it. I am going to use that at work... "What you have developed is known as a TURD CACHE."
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 14:46   #17

it
smells what is that smell.. ?
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 20:31   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Glad to have provided a little amusement, here.

Happy MdR Sailor, Ann Frank isn't the half of it. In my former life it was said of me that "she might say ANYthing at any time!" true.

zboss, I couldn't think what to call it, but i bet everyone understood "turd cache". Actually, I guess the Nature's head, you stir them with enzymes or something, and eventually the output for those is "sweet soil." Sorta like potting mix, without the white rocklets and silver stuff. It's the internet, so I didn't try to copyright the term, you're welcome to put ill mannered employees in the TC if you wish!

TC's not all that far off WC, is it?! :-D

Cheers, guys, and thanks for the frank discussion.

Ann
Old 12-09-2015, 21:46   #19

I am an NH guy. We go the trash bag in Dumpster route. But I have heard of people putting a windshield washer pump on the pee bottle and running a tube overboard. It is really hell if you forget to dump that bottle!
Frank

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 22:36   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 28

That is so disgusting. I had to use the pump out for the first time to pump out the grey water that the previous owner of my boat forgot to empty, but the hose to suck it out some gross stuff in it from before and it got on deck a little. I'm pretty much a sissy who it comes to these things, the composting head seems so Damn fowl I can't even begin to describe.

If you have to go number two on your boat, and I personally never have, but if you do, what's wrong with the t fitting that either pumps overboard or into a regular holding tank? Haven't people been using holding tanks with success for years? I know with urine and the fluid you add to break it down and kill the smell. It's not too bad.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 00:22   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, nob, the answer is no, holding tanks are not without their problems. FYI, take a look at the "Refitting a Nauticat 52" thread here on CF to learn more than you want to know.

Also, honestly, human poop isn't all that horrible, compared to many other things. After all, our Moms did change our diapers, so we can cope with our realities.

I understand your disgust, but personally, I save disgust for genocidal wars. And mold, 'cause I'm a mold sissy, except for blue cheese, which I really enjoy. Boy is that ever contradictory, eh?

Ann
Old 13-09-2015, 00:55   #22

Lol, well, human poop in my opinion IS super gross, and so is diaper changing, which I have seen, and is reason enough not to have kids right there.

Be that as it may, whether you think human poop is gross or not, having is rotting on your freaking boat IS gross, put chemicals in a holding tank, for whatever problems they may have, are still the best way.

I saw these cruisers come through with a composting head and it was foul. Foul, foul, foul.
Old 13-09-2015, 01:12   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Lol, well, human poop in my opinion IS super gross, and so is diaper changing, which I have seen, and is reason enough not to have kids right there.

Be that as it may, whether you think human poop is gross or not, having is rotting on your freaking boat IS gross, put chemicals in a holding tank, for whatever problems they may have, are still the best way.

I saw these cruisers come through with a composting head and it was foul. Foul, foul, foul.
Best you don't become a parent, plumber or enter into any of the healthcare fields if you're that sensitive. Might want to also avoid touching any shopping carriages at the local stores, and for heavens sake.... don't touch any door knobs.

Might even be a good idea to lock yourself in a hotel room and let your fingernails and toenails grow long :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	108931  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 01:52   #24

Or, perhaps, I'm not the crazy one, but the people that are letting fecal matter rot on their boat waiting for the day they can bag it up and bury it in the woods, maybe thy are the crazy ones.

They're really doing that, it's real. Their solution to a holding tank, which is the best way on a boat to be out of sight out of mind, is to let it rot is a bucket of dirt instead.
Old 13-09-2015, 02:11   #25

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I have an Airhead. It is WAY less gross than a holding tank, especially if there are holding tank problems. It is also way better for the environment. Properly used there is no discernable smell. If you saw one that was gross or smelly, it was not being used correctly. The Airhead is great!
Old 13-09-2015, 05:37   #26

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Or, perhaps, I'm not the crazy one, but the people that are letting fecal matter rot on their boat waiting for the day they can bag it up and bury it in the woods, maybe thy are the crazy ones.

They're really doing that, it's real. Their solution to a holding tank, which is the best way on a boat to be out of sight out of mind, is to let it rot is a bucket of dirt instead.
I'm guessing you've never had. A. Holding rank leak or macerator clog, you wouldn't be so quick to call composted gross...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 08:51   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

Aside from the humour value your post ads here NOB, the fact is that a standard marine holding tank is by for the more offensive and dangerous way to manage human excrements. Urine is sterile. Feces contain the nasty stuff, but is mostly contained in solid form. It is the mixing of them together that produces the toxic slurry that is difficult to manage and properly dispose of, and can be anywhere from gross to dangerous in the case of plumbing problems. And as any long-time boat owner will tell you, you will have plumbing problems eventually.

Properly functioning, a composting head produces almost no odour at all. And what it does produce is a earthy soil smell. If you saw one that was doing otherwise, then the person had a problem.

As I said, you do have to become slightly more intimate with your outflows. Although I don't understand this level of squeamishness, it does seem to be a real thing. For you, a standard marine head is better ... until you have a problem with the system, and then you're going to understand what gross really is. But there's nothing wrong with a standard marine head. If maintained and used properly they will give you years of excellent service. So stick with your system.

Just know that for a couple on a smallish boat, there is a better way.
Old 13-09-2015, 09:03   #28

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

When I bought my boat, there was a strong chemical smell in the head. The items stored in there smelled like it too, like the dodger that still smells. I had planed to replace the head and went with an Airhead. Good thing I did. I didn't even test out the old head/holding tank. Good thing, because I found out there was a big 3" hole in the holding tank when I took it out.

While I haven't used it yet, I like the Airhead just for the simplicity of the system and that it frees up some space not used up by hoses. It took a while but that chemical smell is finally gone from the boat.

Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 09:22   #29

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The more I read here, the more I love my ElectroScan.

ElectroScan -

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 09:53   #30

two methods tied and true
1- buy a bucket
2- tie rope to bucket..
3- poo in bucket
4- hold on to the rope tied to bucket lower the bucket over board and wash out bucket and added disinfectent to the bucket before bringing it back into area where others and/or food is cooked or kept

method two...
!- stop boat
2- jump overboard with harness on if you are afraid or alone
3 - poo in ocean.. taking care that floaters don't pop up next to your head.. take special care not to lose you swimming shorts as this can happen..
wipe off with hand underwater and and then later use soap on said hand to make sure you got if clean enough.
4- if parked in marina ..don't tell other boaters what you are doing "I'm hot need a swim..." .. they seem to find this behaviour amusing and could tend to attach to you silly nick names in yacht club. .. "floater" or the "swims making funny faces" would come to mind...

method 3...
hold it in like elvis..

hold this helps..
and yes seriously I'm taking the piss,,...
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, posting