Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-11-2017, 11:57   #16

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Composters: Where do you dump the Poo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Rabbi,

Just keep what you have and don't worry about it. Direct discharge of waste is the norm outside of America, Canada, Turkey and Australia. Since you're not going to any of these places... keep what you have.
Most boaters I've met have a holding tank. Sure it will get dumped at sea at some point, but still they have some form of not directly dumping waste when anchoring off busy beaches, shallow waters, or well enclosed areas.

mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:09   #17

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No, it’s not sterile if sterile means 100% bacteria-free. Nothing is; not your skin, your mouth and not even the human brain. In fact, the average 200# man carries around about 6# of microbes and bacteria. As you well know, urine by comparison is actually quite clean.
That's an interesting one. I remember reading recently about how scientists are only now beginning to understand how bacteria and separately parasites can alter moods and behaviour, and could be responsible for some of the things we consider mental illnesses, depression and the like.

IIRC there was an example of rats actually seeking out cats because a cats' digestive system is a better home for the parasite. Bizarre

mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:51   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Jack,

And where do you think the urine goes after you flush the marina toilet? .......
It goes into the city sewage treatment plant or a septic system, just as the urine that you put in the toilet directly from your body.

Some marinas don't allow carting sewage from your boat to the marina heads.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 15:22   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 62 G5 Cutter, Oyster 53 Cutter (for sale?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It goes into the city sewage treatment plant or a septic system, just as the urine that you put in the toilet directly from your body.

Some marinas don't allow carting sewage from your boat to the marina heads.
You can believe that nonsense if it makes you feel more comfortable, but the truth is.... that most of the world just flushes it one way or another back into the water via sewer pipe or directly. "Believe it or not."

Most of the time, there isn't a municipal poop fairy.
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 15:42   #20

Quote:
You can believe that nonsense if it makes you feel more comfortable, but the truth is.... that most of the world just flushes it one way or another back into the water via sewer pipe or directly. "Believe it or not."

Wow, having a tough time understanding your logic ?? What is the difference between urinating in your boat and then taking it to the marina urinal and just using the marina urinal ? No difference that I can see. If you don’t choose to use a composter that is fine. It doesn’t make them bad however.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 15:47   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Have dumped urine and or poop > 3 miles off shore. Have also dumped composted contents into dumpsters and or / toilets for urine.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:51   #22

Boat: islandpacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheape View Post
We have a Natures Head toilet. It is a Class III MSD, which means that you can't dump it overboard (even composted) within 3 miles of shore or on any inland waters. Same with the pee. Both of those rules don't make any sense,like for instance you can pee directly into the water but not pee in a bottle then pour it in. And correctly composted poop has less bacterial count than a type I MSD but you can dump it. But that's the way it is. The urine is harder to get rid of than the compost (even though it is sterile) because it is of course liquid and you end up with a lot more of it than the solids. The compost goes into a garbage bag and then the dumpster just like the other trash. The urine gets poured into a toilet if in a marina.
THANK YOU!! That is the first Honest description of use and disposal of a composting head that I've seen. I'm not against them, all tools have a designed use.
If you know what it's designed use is, it becomes a more useful tool.
Yes, you can drive a nail with a rock, but a hammer does a nicer job.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:33   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I have dumped poop at sea > 3 miles out, but only once. For one thing, the composter does not fill up very fast, so the occasion does not arise that often. The other times, I've dumped into a trash bag and put in the dumpster. If I were in a low traffic area, I would consider burying it on land, but that's a good bit of work, what with transport, etc.

The urine container I have dumped multiple times at sea, usually > 3 miles offshore. If in a marina, I put the urine container in a black trash bag, and then put that in a Trader Joes bag with handles (perfect fit) and carry it up to the bathroom to dump in the toilet.

I love simple, and it's all very simple. Never breaks or plugs up.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:41   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
THANK YOU!! That is the first Honest description of use and disposal of a composting head that I've seen. I'm not against them, all tools have a designed use.
If you know what it's designed use is, it becomes a more useful tool.
Yes, you can drive a nail with a rock, but a hammer does a nicer job.
Glad you found jackheape’s explanation useful Badsanta, but I’m not sure what else you’ve been reading. I think us compost users have always been saying this sort of thing whenever asked.
Old 11-11-2017, 14:03   #25

Yes,when asked. But I find alot of redacted or IMHO intentionally misleading information about the legal aspects of discharge.
Old 11-11-2017, 14:44   #26

Quote:
Yes,when asked. But I find alot of redacted or IMHO intentionally misleading information about the legal aspects of discharge.
OK… except it says this right on the Nature’s Head website:

Quote:
USCG Certified!
The Nature’s Head composting toilet meets all “No Discharge” regulations and is a U.S Coast Guard Approved type III marine head. USCG MSD Definition
No owner who has written here has intentionally misled anyone. There are some non-users who like to come on these threads to offer their uninformed opinions, but no actual owner that I’ve read here has redacted or offered misleading information.

Sorry to hammer this home, but you characterized jackheape’s message as "the first Honest description of use…” This is an unfair statement to those of us who take the time to respond to these threads.
Old 11-11-2017, 17:30   #27

That's ok, I don't take this personal, but what you post is misleading, most don't understand the whole thing. People make assumptions without all the information.

USCG Certified!
The Nature’s Head composting toilet meets all “No Discharge” regulations and is a U.S

That is misleading and causes confusion and that is unfair to people trying to get honest answers.

If I didn't know the rules, I would think that's all I need. But it's not.
My holding tank is legal in a no discharge zone also. But I can't empty it and neither can you dump a composting head overboard inside the posted limits.
That is my point and I thank you for posting exactly the incomplete info that I'm talking about.

I do think that composting units are fine, but both must be properly used. Thanks
Old 11-11-2017, 17:33   #28

Quote:

If you say so. In civilized countries it is treated.
Old 11-11-2017, 17:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
OK… except it says this right on the Nature’s Head website:

Quote:
USCG Certified!
The Nature’s Head composting toilet meets all “No Discharge” regulations and is a U.S Coast Guard Approved type III marine head. USCG MSD Definition

No owner who has written here has intentionally misled anyone. .
That's misleading in this context. Of course it meets the no discharge requirements. So does a bucket. It's when you empty either one that it's in violation.
Old 11-11-2017, 17:39   #30

Quote:
That's ok, I don't take this personal, but what you post is misleading, most don't understand the whole thing. People make assumptions without all the information.

USCG Certified!
The Nature’s Head composting toilet meets all “No Discharge” regulations and is a U.S

That is misleading and causes confusion and that is unfair to people trying to get honest answers.

If I didn't know the rules, I would think that's all I need. But it's not.
My holding tank is legal in a no discharge zone also. But I can't empty it and neither can you dump a composting head overboard inside the posted limits.
That is my point and I thank you for posting exactly the incomplete info that I'm talking about.

I do think that composting units are fine, but both must be properly used. Thanks
How is this misleading? This is the DEFINITION of a Type III marine head .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: