Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 19:17   #91
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetug View Post
To all, I have been using a twinbied unit for a about a month. I have installed it in an existing icebox on my sailboat. It is right now just sitting on top of the box with some insulation to seal up the opening. Far from the optimum but a test run anyway. .
This is the SC-JS05 Stirling Refrigeration Unit??
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 23:22   #92

@Icetug
I'll be using an SC-C925 ready-made cooler. I seem to remember some info in this thread on cycles, wait ....
post #51 jedwards.... hm, he was using a SC-DF25, which has better insulation...

I'll just give it a try over the next couple of weeks.

Seems the topic is still very much alive, isn't it, Rick?
Thanks for the replies, all.

Eric.
ericb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:46   #93

SC-JS505

I am using an SC-js505 unit. I purchased it directly from Global Cooling (on the web). I did have a problem with the unit about 30 days after I got it. It blew the fuse and wouldn't restart. The company repaired the unit with no problems and it seems fine now. I would recommend using the ON/OFF switch if you are shutting off the machine and not securing the breaker or just unplugging it. I think a power surge damaged it. There is some circuit that keeps the unit from coming right back on if you shut it off too. Best to let it set for a while if you secure it. I plan to put in a poor mans holding system when I divide the box for a freezer compartment using some ice gel packs to allow me to shut the box off at night or between battery chargings.

Remember, this unit is pretty low powered. It takes a while for the temps to come down after loading the box. There is a circ fan that pulls in air and discharges it back out in a leisurely manner. There is also a small plastic tray that catches condensation that needs to be emptied every so often. If you mount the unit sideways then the condensation will just run out and collect in the bottom of your box. Not a show stopper but something to consider. Not much more of a hassle than defrosting the evaporator in a normal icebox conversion or holding plate.
Icetug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:42   #94
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Icetug;

Glad to hear somebody is trying this. I would be interested in seeing some photos of the unit. The only one I have ever seen is the top view on their website. Could you take and post some pics that show the underside, and something that shows scale?

Our icebox backs up to the lazarette. My thought would be to simply cut a hole big enough for the fans and install this in the lazarette. Is any provision for mounting? One of the reasons for my wanting to see the pics is the see if this would work. How close together are fans? do you have an idea how big my hole would have to be?

Thanks,
Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 21:42   #95

@Icetug
Hi and thanks a billion for posting your test results. I'm seriously interested in purchasing this system, since I'm installing an ice box from scratch.
Only problem I have is the cooling unit poking out of the lid of the icebox. I was hoping to cut veggies or mix drinks on top of it.
Could I just completely cover the cooling unit with some ventilation holes i the back or front ? I think to remeber that the unit pokes about 4 inches out of the ice box. I don't have a problem to have the insulation of the top be 4 additional inches and some vent hole in the front and side of the ice box lid.

thanks in advance,
Olaf
sailingpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 00:41   #96

Some Information

I am new to this forum.. am not a boat person.. but I did find this forum while researching the Coleman Stirling Cooler...

I do have the Coleman unit.. and I might be of some help to some of you who are interested in the stirling coolers...

The first thing that I notice is that many of you seem to think that this thing cycles like a conventional refrigerator...

It does NOT .. it uses the minimum amount of power that it needs to in order to keep the set temperature...

For mine.. set to cool 3.. (coldest cool but not freezing) it will settle in at about 700 mA... if you open it and put in warm items .. it will ramp up and draw more current until the set temperature is reached.. then slowly ramp down and draw steady current.

I have mine connected to an 100aH deep cycle battery and 13v power supply... when we lost power here in New Orleans after hurricane Gustav.. the cooler ran fine for over 48hrs on battery power alone!.. I was the only one in the area that had cold beer on those days :-)

I am still learning just how wonderful this cooler really is.. and highly recomend it .. I only wish that I could buy two or three more of them!

So, while it does draw an very small amount of power compared to conventional compressor refrigerators.. it draws that amount of power continuously... that is a factor in sizing your solar array to power this cooler..

all that said.. I am looking at getting about a 200w solar array and increased battery capacity.. and I think that I can run my cooler from solar power alone.

Louis
tvengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 05:12   #97

Well, Louis,that was exactly the data I was lookin for a couple of weeks ago

In the meantime I bought the SC-C925 cooler from Global Cooling (which is the original that Coleman brouht on the market rebranded. Still available from Global Cooling.)

I have run it for some time now, using the various cooling setpoints. At 16C ambient, Cool-1 draws a continuous 0,3 amps, Cool-2 0,4, Cool-3 0,6A.

@witzgall: you were right, I did use a solar panel too small for this application. I'll buy a bigger one later on. The 15Ah battery is allright if there are no other appliances and if the sun shines every day :P

Eric.
Old 27-09-2008, 15:29   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
Well, Louis,that was exactly the data I was lookin for a couple of weeks ago

In the meantime I bought the SC-C925 cooler from Global Cooling (which is the original that Coleman brouht on the market rebranded. Still available from Global Cooling.)
Eric.
Sorry I didnt check back here when you were asking :-)

I first researched them and found this site a few months ago.. then i was able to get a Coleman one from Ebay... I have not seen any more colemans on ebay since.

Could you give me the informaiton on how to go about getting them from global cooling?
Before the hurricane I had trouble convincing anyone that this cooler was anything special, they all assumed it was just another one of those peltier coolers that don't work very well... After the power was out for days upon days, and I had cold beer.. .now everyone wants one :-)
I have a co-worker who keeps trying to buy mine from me.. but I won't give it up :-)

Louis
Old 27-09-2008, 23:19   #99

Just go to Welcome to Global Cooling - Featuring Stirling Free Piston Stirling Coolers. or inquire at info@globalcooling.com. Jesse Edwards of Global Cooling has also posted a few times on this thread. Perhaps you could send him a PM.
He has a few in stock, i believe.

Good luck.
Eric.
Old 27-09-2008, 23:26   #100

Just do like I did and start calling the Coleman Outlet Centers. They are like half off and if your lucky you can catch a sale and they will ship to you pretty cheap.
thezfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 23:35   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezfunk View Post
Just do like I did and start calling the Coleman Outlet Centers. They are like half off and if your lucky you can catch a sale and they will ship to you pretty cheap.
I didnt' think that coleman had any left..
I'll do that..

Thanks
Louis
Old 27-09-2008, 23:38   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvengineer View Post
I didnt' think that coleman had any left..
I'll do that..

Thanks
Louis
I got mine a couple months ago. Coleman isn't carrying them anymore so what's left is hanging out at the outlet centers. They are just trying to get rid of them. I think they didn't sell well because like previously mentioned everyone thinks they are TECs. I get that all the time. Then people ask what a Sterling Engine is.
thezfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 14:10   #103

Boat: Downeaster 38 / Beneteau F235
Send a message via Yahoo to audeojude
darned if the first coleman factory store i called didn't still have one in stock at 299.99

I don't need it right now but im buying it anyways just to save the several hundred dollars more off the retail price. It should fit perfectly on my beneteau F235

I was at the boat show">annapolis boat show this past weekend drooling over the engles there but this looks like a much better performance/price deal
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 14:46   #104

Boat: Downeaster 38 / Beneteau F235
Send a message via Yahoo to audeojude
SCORE!!!

just got the last display model from the alabama coleman outlet store.
they sold it to me for 250 + 20SH 270.00 total

how cool is that!!

so I and my Beneteau F235 thank you guys for the links to the outlet store finder on colemans website
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 15:46   #105

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Well for any one whos still interested my Engel 35 has been running continuously now for 9months. Sometimes on 120vac and sometimes on 12vdc. It switches automatically and my beer has never been warm even with cabin temps at or above 90f. Inside box temps are set at 29f and Ive never seen them change unless I open the box. Then they go up for a few minutes but start to fall again very quickly. I removed it from my boat before IKE (thank god) and it has done duty in the kitchen for a couple of weeks, we didn't lose power but my neighbour did so I kept his freezer stock in the Engel. It worked well until his power came back on..........m