Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2012, 21:27   #256

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: Coleman Stirling Power Coolers

The Coleman is the same unit as listed on the link you posted as the SC-C925, wow, $1699, i wish i had bought 2 when i bought mine off ebay, I told a couple of freinds about them and they bought them also, one of them uses it at his hut in Belize running off solar,hes an electrical engineer and claims it is consuming about 1 amp on fridge setting.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 21:31   #257

How big of a box are you cooling with the Coleman guts Gringo? How much insulation?

Steve.
Old 20-11-2012, 21:59   #258

Boat: Sabre 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange
How big of a box are you cooling with the Coleman guts Gringo? How much insulation?

Steve.
I'm not on my boat right now so I can't really tell you the volume. But there was only 2" of insulation around the box, so I've drilled holes and used a bunch of spray foam to add another 2" of insulation.
Old 19-07-2017, 10:32   #259

Sorry for reviving a LONG dead thread. I've enjoyed many years of use out of a Coleman Stirling Power Cooler, but now my second DC power cord has shorted out. This seems to be a common failure mode with the coolers, so I was wondering if anyone had found a suitable replacement cord. I've found several that seem to "fit" based on the physical plug, but I'm concerned about polarity. At least one cord I tried to use as a replacement (a Coleman cord for one of their thermoelectric units) had reversed polarity, which I know can damage the electronics. (I tested polarity before actually trying to use the cord).

Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement DC power cord for the Coleman Stirling Coolers?

Thanks!
Keith
Keith Snell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 12:08   #260
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

No cord replacement advice, but if you do reverse polarity, it blows an on-board fuse, which you can bypass. I know, because I did this years ago!

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 13:02   #261

Thanks. Trying to avoid blowing the fuse if possible.

Anybody know of a standard (Molex type?) connector that fits the two pins? If so, I would feel confident wiring up my own cord.

Keith
Old 29-07-2017, 12:50   #262

To answer my own question (and help out anyone else that might be looking) a replacement DC power cord that fits the Coleman Stirling Power Cooler is this replacement cord that fits the Koolatron P25 cooler: http://www.12voltsplus.com/059586720...r#.WXzlBVGQzDD
Old 05-07-2020, 01:03   #263

Talking Re: Coleman Stirling Power Coolers

I thought I'd try revive an old thread here as I've got a big interest in the Free Piston Stirling Engine fridges. These are still around with little interest it seems that I still don't understand.

How have the old Colemans or Twinbirds held up so far for everyone that own these?
I'ts been a few years so I thought it's a good time to see how well they've lasted.

Thank you for any insight
R.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:38   #264

I have a Coleman branded Twin Bird and while I don't use it a lot I did run it continuously for all of 2019 as a freezer and it was excellent. I unfortunately lost my ac adapter so run it through a deep cycle battery. I think the biggest issue is availability and price and the do make more noise than an equivalent Danfoss fridge like an Engle. It is very easy to buy a compressor fridge. I bought my Coleman because of this thread and at that time they had stopped selling them in the US but I found a new one on ebay, a guy had about 40 of them N.O.S so I bought one and tested the draw with a Kill o watt meter and then a couple of friends bough them and they use them more than me, one uses it as a freezer when he goes fishing and the other has been running his full time in Belize at his shack on Key Caulker which is off grid and has since bought a few more off ebay which are also rebranded Twin Bird but a name I don't remember. They are used from transporting drug samples I think.
I tried to buy one of the larger units from Twin Bird but they did not respond.

Steve.
Old 06-07-2020, 15:32   #265

Wow... I am glad you revived this thread..

I still have two colemans.. one is currently not working but the other one is still keeping my beer cold 24 hours a day for well over 10 years now.
They are amazing machines and I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I ever saw one up for sale.

The power supplies are long gone.. but they run on 12volts at a maximum of five amps.. so it is easy to rig them up to run on other power supplies or even a battery..
The door latches broke off of both of them.. but since they are top opening it really doesn't matter.. gravity keeps the door close just fine here on earth.

The one that is not working right now, I am pretty sure it is a problem with the membrane button panel that you use to turn in on .. I just have not had the time to investigate that.... The plan is to replace the membrane buttons with some normal push buttons.

But yea... over 10 years and still going strong in continuous use.

If anyone finds this thread and still has one laying around (in any condition) I would be interested in taking it off of your hands.
tvengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 15:34   #266

I just noticed.. My "join date' for this forum was Sept. 2008.. and I joined to make a reply in this thread... so yea... my coleman has been running continuously for just about 12 years :-)
tvengineer is offline   Reply With Quote