Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-04-2014, 21:48   #1

Cockpit Drain Above or Below Waterline?

Hopefully this is the right forum for this question. I've got an Endeavour 37, which we plan to do an extended cruise on. I'm struggling with the large number of large below water thru-hulls. There are seven 3/4 to 1.5 inch thru hulls plus 2 small chain locker drains all below the water line. Here's my question:
The cockpit drains are 1.5 inche dia. and drain to thru-hulls approximately 2 feet below the water line. The cockpit floor is approximately 21 inches above the waterline. Can I move the drains to an above the water line discharge maybe 15 inches below the drain, and 6 inches above the waterline. Perhaps by putting a check valve on them to keep a wave from pushing water up into the cockpit.
The other question is: Do sink drains need to be 1.25 inch diameter. It's seems odd to have a tiny head sink, draining into a giant 1.25 inch thru-hull. Do people have smaller drain lines? Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Paul

Paul Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 00:26   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Cockpit drain above or below waterline?

Cockpit drains draining below the water line are a funny thing. My current boat has the same set up as yours and I discovered not long after buying it that the single hose clamp clamping the hose to the thruhull had missed the nipple altogether. Goodness knows how long it had been like that for, but the hose had never popped off, so in a way that kind of instills some confidence that the drains will remain intact.

Now back to your question, water would enter the cockpit regardless of outlet height. It is a function of cockpit floor height above the waterline. This also means heeled waterline as well. If the "fall" between the drain and outlet is not enough though, you may have problems with draining in a seaway as the water will slosh back into the cockpit before it escapes the drain plumbing. Seas can also enter the drain if they rise higher than the floor with the boat's motion, but I guess rubber flap valves could be used to prevent this.

Your sink drain through hull only needs to suit the size of the drain. My washbasin drain in 3/4" which drains a bit slow, but at least you cant loose your wedding ring down it. Perhaps the larger through hull has been repurposed from a previous function e.g. toilet outlet.

No one like lots of underwater through hulls, but plenty of boats have them. If you maintain them I really can't see why they would need to be repositioned. I personally wouldn't be bothered to move mine.

Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 04:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Of the four I had on Vigah, one was below the WL. I have attached pics of the SS coupling I cut off after I moved the drain above the WL. BTW, the clamp was broken and that was why I disconnected it. It was also in my way trying to get into the engine compartment. I also never figured out why the drains were crossed. stbd drains drain on the port side, etc.

Over time, I have removed three excess seacocks located below the WL. Be honest, how often will you actually remove the hose to check the barb fitting? Granted, the barb should not have been SS on the brass seacock, but the boat was manufactured that way. Visual of the clamps, certainly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drain1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	79499   Click image for larger version

Name:	drain2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	79500  

__________________ Boats don't like being neglected, but then neither do significant others!
bletso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 05:01   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'll bet they were crossed on the theory that the downhill drain would of course be the primary drain and attaching it to the uphill through hull would have that through hull out of the water. Probably slowed draining though as there was less drop
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 10:36   #5

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Re: Cockpit Drain Above or Below Waterline?

Leave your cockpit drains alone.
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 10:43   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Cockpit Drain Above or Below Waterline?

Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Leave your cockpit drains alone.
The cockpit drain thing was figured out a long time ago. About the only thing left to argue is should they cross below deck.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

cockpit, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: