Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2017, 09:14   #1

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter
Coating galv. steel fresh water tank?

We have a galvanized steel water tank under the sole of our galley. It angles up towards bow and is built into place. The floor is laid with no access except a small round plastic access hole about five inches in diameter. Removing it properly would involve removing all the cabinets and sink first. Not a job I relish. I think it would be possible to cut a hole in the floor and frame it to make an access so I could remove and replace the tank with something plastic. But that would be my second choice. I'm wondering if y'all could recommend some sort of a coating that I could spray in through that access hole, multiple coats, to line the galvanized tank I think I can get a pressure washer nozzle in there pretty easily to get it clean. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Glenn
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 11:11   #2

Boat: Alden, Yawl, 55'
Re: Coating galv. steel fresh water tank?

I have a similar situation, or had. Old steel tanks 2x100 imp gal below saloon floor, limited access,rusted, leaking. Three years ago we bought a product out of England, a type of epoxy which we applied in three coats. Had to be troweled on. Messy. Worked well to seal tanks for 3 years. It was supposed to be odourless but was not. Added a strong smell and taste to the water making it unfit to drink. The tanks just let go recently and do not hold water any longer. So, a temporary substandard solution at best.
Recently been looking at bladders from Defender in US. Pricey but can't see tearing boat apart at this point. Plan is to open up floor as little as possible then insert and plumb bladders. will reduce capacity but hopefully be potable solution.
Any thoughts on bladders or any other leads?
Alden 1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 18:02   #3

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter

Thanks, Alden 1916, I am thinking of fetting a tank made to fit. Your report was pretty discouraging re recoat.
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 19:57   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Access aside, I'm thinking that one of the major obstacles to coating is proper preparation of the tank, along with it's current level & type of finish. Since it's commonly necessary to both clean, & abrade steel prior to the application of many epoxy coatings. Plus some of them (coatings) require post cures as well, though not all. In order to prevent them from contaminating the tank's contents. And a fairly even coating of epoxy would be needed for it to cure well enough to work properly. Which, without good access in order to apply it could be a problem.

The other thing to think on if considering using a bladder, is that assuming that you can cut a proper access hole to insert it, & plumb it. Is the question of what will happen to the bladder as the current steel tank corrodes? Since there will most likely be some sharp edges, & abrasive surfaces created as the steel rusts. Which of course could tear up a bladder tank as it wiggles around with the boat's motion.

Edit: Did the epoxy that you applied suggest that you remove the galvanizing? And might you have a link to the stuff that you tried? I'm curious to know more about it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:49   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There are a number of companies that have tank coatings, but like UNCIVILIZED said, they need prep, usually sand blasting. The cure issue can be solved by using a bilge blower with the hose thru the access port so bad smelling air is drawn out before stinking up the boat. Also adding baking soda to 1st water helps.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, steel, water