Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:00   #1

Boat: 1983 Sabre 34
CNG to LPG conversion

Ahoy!

My Sabre 34 has a CNG tank and stove. I want to change to LPG as CNG is harder to find.
I am OK with replacing the stove instead of retrofitting, but the problem is with the tank changeover.
Its a small compartment and it has been recommended that I mount an LPG tank on a bracket on the stern pulpit. I have been away from the water, but I haven't seen this done before. Anyone have any experience with this?
There are many different size and shape tanks on Defender and Westmarine, so I don't see a compelling reason for an external tank mounting.
Thoughts?
Laura Jane
LauraJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:05   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: CNG to LPG conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJane View Post
Ahoy!

My Sabre 34 has a CNG tank and stove. I want to change to LPG as CNG is harder to find.
I am OK with replacing the stove instead of retrofitting, but the problem is with the tank changeover.
Its a small compartment and it has been recommended that I mount an LPG tank on a bracket on the stern pulpit. I have been away from the water, but I haven't seen this done before. Anyone have any experience with this?
There are many different size and shape tanks on Defender and Westmarine, so I don't see a compelling reason for an external tank mounting.
Thoughts?
Laura Jane
For safety, that propane tank should be in an approved "propane locker". It needs a shutoff solenoid and a gauge so you can check for leaks. There are several other requirements so you should find the ABYC specifications or find an ABYC certified installer to do the work.

The stove should be approved as well with automatic gas shutoff if the flame goes out. If your stove already has this feature you may be able to keep it and just change the orifices.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, LauraJane.

Does this resemble your CNG locker?
If so, see
http://mjsailing.com/projects/cng-to...gal-gsi-stove/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:56   #4

Boat: 1983 Sabre 34

Thanks, GordMay,
The link to the thread on CNG-LPG conversion was very helpful. I am not going to convert the stove, but have a lead on a good used LPG stove. Nice to know that others have sailed this way before me.
LJ
LauraJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:03   #5

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Size does matter. You won't get as many hours out of LPG as you do with NG. Our boat didn't have a gas locker when we purchased it and could not find a place to put one. We had ours put on the stern pulpit. At first we had 2 6lb aluminum bottles but found we were constantly changing them every 6 weeks or less. Now have 2 10lb fiberglass tanks and that almost doubles our capacity. The auto shut off is somewhat exposed back there and gets replaced every couple years. Other than that no problem.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:08   #6

Boat: Rienell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJane View Post
Ahoy!

Thoughts?
Laura Jane
Number 1, CNG is lighter than air so it can be stored inboard.
Number 2, LPG is heavier than air and in case of a leak the gas will find its way into your bilge. Not a good idea, where there is gas and a spark things have a tendency to go BOOM!!!
Unless your LPG storage space is vented overboard go with the recommended storage on the pulpit.
GaryJ
garyj4101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:19   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW-we had an internal LP storage locker...I sealed the deck lid, converted the space to a hanging locker in the Mastersuite (a much better use of the space), and mounted the LP tank on the aft side rail. As someone pointed out, LP is heavier than air, so instead of sinking into the bilge, it now sinks to the water, outside the boat, if we have a leak. We used a painted steel tank for several years, and have now replaced it with a F/G tank. All in all, a good conversion!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote