Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 06:35   #16
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Clogged Air Conditioner

I GOT IT CLEAR!!!!!!! And I used science, chemistry, and engineering to do it.

As I suspected the acid just wasn't getting to the clog because the line was getting air locked so the acid couldn't flow down to it. It didn't matter that I had the acid elevated 3 feet above the top of the heat exchanger/condenser as that just wasn't enough pressure. So I connected a 3 foot hose to the outlet/top side (that would be reverse flow from normal) and filled that line with an acid mixture just like I did all day yesterday. Then with the hose full of acid I connected the dock water to it and pressurized the line to force the acid down to the clog. In 5 minutes the clog blew out!

To those that truly tried to help, thanks. To those that seemed to think I'm some kind of idiot, .................... well you know! And acid WAS the answer, just like in the manual.

BTW - I've been flushing that line with dock water regularly the past 3 months! I've even ran some acid through it.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:38   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Click image for larger version

Name:	ours and theirs.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	201075
The fluted copper pipe is what the inside of your condenser looks like. It is enclosed by a regular copper tube making it into two different chambers partitioned by the end caps which seal the water from the freon gas that travels on the outside of the example.
The second one is of slickwall copper nickel tubing that www.FlagshipMarine.com uses for there condensers. It is wrapped with #8 copper wire to center it in the outside tube and sealed by the end caps as well. The inner portion of the slick walled portion is where the water passes.
Which one do you think is more likely to trap sediment and promote marine growth?
Flagship Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:44   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I GOT IT CLEAR!!!!!!!

Good for you. Now flush it thoroughly with fresh water and then a 3-4 hour treatment recirculating Barnacle Buster through the system and you should be good for 6 months or so assuming you're keeping the raw water filter cleaned out, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote