Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2019, 11:58   #1
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380
Charleston, SC marine head recommendation needed

So I've decided not to attempt to replace the manual Jabsco heads on my own, and I'm looking for recommendations (both pro and con, although if you have someone to avoid it's probably nicer to just message me to avoid a particular person vs. put it out here).

Our cat will be in Charleston, SC soon and I'm looking to get the heads replaced asap with Raritans.

I do have one lead, but I'd like a few more to talk to before I move ahead with tearing the guts out of my new baby...
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 12:08   #2

Re: Charleston, SC marine head recommendation needed

I have not used them myself but I have had several people recommend Ross Marine over by St. Johns Yacht Harbor. Smaller high-quality shop not focused on the mega yacht trade.

As to the head - Raritan Elegance - with the fancy flush control option as it greatly reduces water use and pump out frequency with guests aboard who don't know how much to flush. Pays for itself in pump out charges. I installed mine with the salt/fresh flush option but with a watermaker aboard we've never had to use salt water even on long passages. Fresh water makes everything smell much better.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 12:15   #3

Boat: Bristol 47.7

I would highly recommend Ken Phillips @Harbormaster, Inc.

843-324-8176‬
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 18:10   #4
RSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I have not used them myself but I have had several people recommend Ross Marine over by St. Johns Yacht Harbor. Smaller high-quality shop not focused on the mega yacht trade.

As to the head - Raritan Elegance - with the fancy flush control option as it greatly reduces water use and pump out frequency with guests aboard who don't know how much to flush. Pays for itself in pump out charges. I installed mine with the salt/fresh flush option but with a watermaker aboard we've never had to use salt water even on long passages. Fresh water makes everything smell much better.
yep, this is exactly why I am having them put in-for our adult kids who would screw up a regular marine toilet (smart girls, however not always careful), and I HATE the smell of heads that use salt water. We have watermaker on board so I think it will be a beautiful partnership when we're not using shore water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post

843-324-8176‬
Thanks!
Old 25-01-2019, 09:18   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Belize 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post

843-324-8176‬
Second Ken Phillips. He installed a Dometic MasterFlush freshwater electric head as well as changed out all the sanitary lines on the owners side of our 2003 Fountaine Pajot Belize. Did a very good job and was able to work through all issues encountered.
wwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 10:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post

I also used Ross Marine on a job and had a nice result.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 16:51   #7
RSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilker View Post
Second Ken Phillips. He installed a Dometic MasterFlush freshwater electric head as well as changed out all the sanitary lines on the owners side of our 2003 Fountaine Pajot Belize. Did a very good job and was able to work through all issues encountered.
I'll give him a call tomorrow. I sent Ross Marine an email a week ago and haven't heard back yet. Since the estimates I've gotten in Florida are in the range of 5K, I'm kind of surprised I'm not getting responses from the people I've contacted.

My St. Augustine guy is willing to travel to Charleston to do the work for an additional $500, and at the time I was kind of like, ha ha I'm sure I can find someone in Charleston, but now I'm thinking sheesh what's up with marine plumbers in SC?

Tags
head, marine, marine head, men