Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2014, 15:59   #1

Boat: Golden Gate 30
Capping off a barbed thru hull

We have a thru-hull in the transom with a hose barb that is permanently attached (it's part of the fitting). The thru hull is currently not in use and I'd like to cap it off, any suggestions?
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 16:04   #2

Re: Capping off a barbed thru hull

Depending upon your future needs you may want to delete it. Remove the void in your hull. One likely scenario is a capped off, unused through hull escapes your attention until some time later it announces it's presence in a fairly dramatic way.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 16:06   #3

Boat: Golden Gate 30

It will be used in the future, I just want to avoid a situation where the transom sinks below the waterline and all of a sudden it becomes a below the waterline fitting

I'd remove it, but we will need it later.
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 16:07   #4

Well, of course there is the short hose with another barb fitting and cap on that. Many installed barbed mushroom fittings have enough thread between the barb and the nut to hacksaw the barb off and put a pipe cap on. The threads are not an exact fit but usually work. Either of these options assume it's above the waterline. Otherwise replace it with an appropriate fitting.
Put a second bilge pump in and attach the hose there!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 16:12   #5

That you want to keep the through hull I agree with the Alaska newcomer...replace with appropriate fittings. Don't be a slave to the problematic hardware, replace it to your liking.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 16:12   #6

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
What is your boat made out of? If it is GRP it is easy to remove and patch. I have patched many.
I have also a 1 1/2" outlet that I may use again one day so I have capped it by removing the valve from the skin fitting then I screwed on an end cap inside the boat with plumbers tape. Consult the plumbers supply for one.
Old 15-03-2014, 16:14   #7

The best method of all (I think) would require machining from a solid length of a suitable resilient material in round bar form (ideally, a urethane elastomer) a blind-ended hollow cylindrical form, with a reverse of the hose barb machined into the internal bore, and then force that axially over the barb, and clamp it.

Lacking access to a lathe and a rather exotic material, you might consider trying to find a suitable close-fitting solid internal plug to fit the bore, and bond that in place (having cleaned out the bore of the thru-hull if necessary) and also check with hydraulic suppliers for a suitably sized moulded plastic port protector fitting - for some reason, these are often red (similar to the first idea, but not custom made, and thinner/ not intended to be leakproof)
and clamp this onto the barb as above, as a second line of defence, helping to prevent the plug from being forced through to the inside.

At a pinch, the second purpose could be served by two (or more) rectangular strips of strong material (even heavy sailcloth would work) laid like a '+' over the 'o' of the thruhull, then folded down the barbed portion, contacting it, full-length, in four places, to be held by the hoseclamps.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 16:19   #8

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
Just read the other replies that have come in. Sorry I miss read you have a barb as part of the fitting. You should Not ever use plastic skin fittings above or below the WL, nor should you have any skin fittings without a valve. Therefore remove and replace it with a SS or Bronze threaded fitting with standard size threads to take a valve, then follow my previous post.
Old 15-03-2014, 20:21   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

less than $5

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	193039_ts.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	77650  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 20:50   #10

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

If an expanding plug is used, I would also add a hose clamp (or two) on the outside just to keep the plastic from spitting from the outward pressure of the plug. Probably very unlikely to happen but would be cheap insurance.

The hose clamps could also be used to secure some sort of safety strap like the one Andrew described.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 21:09   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I think that I would use a short length of hose, clamped over the barb with another barb, fitted with a pipe cap clamped into the other end. This seems equally secure as any other barb/hose/pump (or whatever) as used elsewhere in the boat.

Don't see the need to overthink this problem.

Jim
Old 15-03-2014, 23:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I think that I would use a short length of hose, clamped over the barb with another barb, fitted with a pipe cap clamped into the other end. This seems equally secure as any other barb/hose/pump (or whatever) as used elsewhere in the boat.

Don't see the need to overthink this problem.

Jim
A fitting blanked off as Jim suggests would (I think) be fine in a compartment where no shifting cargo might come into contact after getting a bit of a run up.

Because there was no such detail supplied, my suggestion erred towards the worst case scenario where such a situation might arise.

As an analogy for the respective security of the two cases quoted above, consider a riverbank with a tree on the south (muddy) bank which has fallen down to the horizontal across the river, roots still embedded in the bank.

In one case the tree has been shortened (before or after falling) so it projects only a short distance across the river, cantilevering out above the water.

In the other case, the trunk remains long enough to reach the muddy bank on the far side.

A heavy barge comes bumping along the south shallows of the river.

Which tree is more likely to arrest it without being pulled out?

(Bear in mind that this is a tidal river, and if the barge is not arrested, it will keep travelling past the tree with every turn of the tide.)
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 23:59   #13

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
...hacksaw the barb off and put a pipe cap on. The threads are not an exact fit but usually work...
Sorry, but this is a bad idea. Pipe fittings have tapered pipe threads. Thru-hull fittings have straight threads. And, though you can sometimes get a half turn started, they do not mate and should never be used this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
...I would use a short length of hose, clamped over the barb with another barb, fitted with a pipe cap clamped into the other end...
This should be plenty safe. A hose plug is the preferred termination.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, hull, thru hull