Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 08:46   #1

Boat: In between boats
Can't Find Pump - Alcohol Stove Tank

Hi Everyone,

I have one of the old Galley Maid pressurized alcohol stoves The stove is in good conditions, and the tank just has some surface rust. The one thing I have not yet figured out is how to pump up the pressure. The little t-bar in the center just screws down the fill cap. I didn't notice a pump on the stove (but I may have missed it) I have not been able to find and material online, beyond conversion and/or replacement. I have read the thread(s) on this forum talking about the costs/inefficiencies/dangers of using a pressure stove. But I don't want to replace a clean and working unit. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions or experience, one how to I would greatly appreciate the same. Here are pics of the tank.

Happy Sailing!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-04 17.17.00.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	38359   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-04 17.16.52.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	38360  

SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:56   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Can't find pump - Alcohol Stove Tank??

That little cap at the other end of the gauge has a tire valve. You just unscrew the cap and pump it up with a screw-on tire pump.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27   #3

Great! Thank you Delmarrey.
Old 06-03-2012, 14:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post
... I have not been able to find and material online, beyond conversion and/or replacement ...
Notwithstanding you desires (to not replace), there's good reason(s) that most opinions suggest replacement.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 14:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Notwithstanding you desires (to not replace), there's good reason(s) that most opinions suggest replacement.

You are both wise and correct GordMay, and I agree with those reasons. My main focus on restoring over replacing is to keep my initial expenses down, so I can sail as much as possible over the summer. I'll mainly use the current galley for tea, coffee and soup.

I'll begin upgrading the various fixtures and systems (galley stove, holding tank, water heater, etc.) over this coming winter. For now I just need to hear the water rushing across the hull and the wind screaming through the sails.
Old 06-03-2012, 14:53   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I see you've already got your answer, but I just wanted to put a plug in for your old stove. If it works fine, and you're not planning any major voyages, then there's nothing wrong with a pressure alcohol stove. We sailed for nearly a decade with one, and they work just fine.

Save your money for more important things. Look to replace it before you head off beyond the horizon, but for basic coastal cruising, it will be fine.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote