Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-05-2012, 22:58   #16
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: Canadian Sewage Discharge Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraGH View Post
I would take this seriously only when Victoria starts treating their sewage rather than simply piping it into the middle of the Straits of Juan de Fuca.

Seriously.
Yeah but the turds are fished out first

Old 05-05-2012, 05:48   #17

I don't understand this part: "Portable toilets are acceptable but they must be attached to the vessel and have a means of dockside pump out."

I do have a port-a-potty (sitting under my V berth bed) and just use it whenever absolutely necessary, then dump it in my home or marina toilet. No huge amounts, really. Is that not acceptable anymore?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:44   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenhurst View Post
I don't understand this part: "Portable toilets are acceptable but they must be attached to the vessel and have a means of dockside pump out."

I do have a port-a-potty (sitting under my V berth bed) and just use it whenever absolutely necessary, then dump it in my home or marina toilet. No huge amounts, really. Is that not acceptable anymore?
It's acceptable but does not qualify as an MSD. All that means is that without an MSD you cannot have alcoholic beverages on board

Just FYI in the Great Lakes ....
The Ontario Water Resources Act provides for fines up to $50,000 and vessel seizure for discharge of certain materials including fuel, oil, dangerous chemicals and sewage.The Environmental Act, Ontario Regulation 343 states “ Water outlets for the head and/or holding tank must have no physical connection to an overboard discharge valve.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:44   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ravenhurst.

Portable toilets, or "porta-potties," do meet the legal requirements, as they have a (removable) holding tank, but the toilet (itself) must be securely fastened to the boat.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ravenhurst.

Portable toilets, or "porta-potties," do meet the legal requirements, as they have a (removable) holding tank, but the toilet (itself) must be securely fastened to the boat.
Thank you GordMay!
But the toilet is sitting on the removable holding tank. You probably know these plastic porta-potties, they consist of two parts that are attached to each other but never to the boat, and I am also not sure how I'm supposed to attach them to the boat. I could put it all in a wooden frame that's somehow fixed to the boat. Can't think of anything else, really. Bit ridiculous, I find...
Old 05-05-2012, 08:34   #21
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not exactly. Only "MSD" portapotties are acceptable. "MSD" portapotties are versions designed to be permanently installed (iow, different type of hold down brackets) and are fitted to connect pumpout and vent lines....making them actually self-contain systems rather than "portable." On some models the plumbing CAN be removed to allow the tank to be taken ashore and dumped, but doing so is more of a PITA than it's worth unless you have to empty it and there's no other way.

Thetford and SeaLand/Dometic portapotties are available in both portable and MSD models. You know which is which because they add "MSD" to the model #.

IMO, only the larger 5-6 gallon portapotties make any sense as MSD models...a full tank weighs about 50 gallons, which is a LOT to carry off a boat to dump! And they hold 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least 30 gallon tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. The 2-3 gallon size just doesn't hold enough to be bothered with the hassle--and in some places, expense--of pumpout.
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:58   #22

Boat: Bristol 47.7

A diver once told me that until you've witnessed an adult porpoise take a dump in the sea, you'll always lack the needed perspective. There's only one reason why govt's take such pains to fashion regs against recreational boaters that all too often exempt commercial shipping, sewage plants, farmers, and the countless other sources of REAL pollution into waterways -- because they CAN (and it makes people "feel" like they're making some sort of difference).
Old 05-05-2012, 10:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
A diver once told me that until you've witnessed an adult porpoise take a dump in the sea, you'll always lack the needed perspective. There's only one reason why govt's take such pains to fashion regs against recreational boaters that all too often exempt commercial shipping, sewage plants, farmers, and the countless other sources of REAL pollution into waterways -- because they CAN (and it makes people "feel" like they're making some sort of difference).
Fully agree. All this doesn't make any sense to me. Most of my boater buddies with 20 to 25 ft sailboats are day or weekend sailors, with portable toilets on board, not attached. Some even replaced their once fixed toilets with portable ones for low maintenance, lower cost, less hassle, less space, less weight, easier handling, etc. Definitely none of them disposes of their sewage into the water. If these portable ones are not allowed anymore, I can clearly see what's going to happen. If people can't hold it anymore, it'll go straight into the water. Great.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:16   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenhurst View Post
Fully agree. All this doesn't make any sense to me. Most of my boater buddies with 20 to 25 ft sailboats are day or weekend sailors, with portable toilets on board, not attached. Some even replaced their once fixed toilets with portable ones for low maintenance, lower cost, less hassle, less space, less weight, easier handling, etc. Definitely none of them disposes of their sewage into the water. If these portable ones are not allowed anymore, I can clearly see what's going to happen. If people can't hold it anymore, it'll go straight into the water. Great.
It doesn't seem to address the issue of the portapotty very well. I suspect the thinking is that many people don't properly dispose of it though. I have heard many marinas don't allow folks to dump them into their toilets so anyone with a portapotty will need to have a plan. Suggesting that it be possible to pump them out would seem to be addressing this. Again with so few pumpouts it seems problematic to me.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:56   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Come on as said most all of the citys up there dump at least semi treated waste into the waters up there already, so I guess a little more is ok ??
All cities, everywhere, dump treated or untreated waste into the oceans by one means or another.

By the way, what is semi-treated waste?

Most cities in Canada have waste treatment facilities and are given large fines for any accidental spillage of untreated waste into the waterways.

The problem is acerbated by world wide population growth.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:03   #26

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

All this started a couple years ago when large amounts of raw sewage from Canada started showing up in the San Juan Islands on the way by tides to the Straight of Juan d Fuca & the Pacific ocean and renaming the inland waters both in Canada and the USA were given the name of the Salish Sea. All Salish Sea waters have the same discharge laws now ( evidently ) mostly due to growing number of big ships ( over 100 ft ) dumping there bildge and swage just after they cleared into Canadaian waters. Washington state has been working hard to build more pumpouts but as it is winter and freezing temps in winter close pumpouts and we boaters are left to do what is best for our boats, but in winter very few folks are on the water compaired to warmer seasons. Also you will need to lock the gravity drain or get a fine, we glued (5200) a ss steel lock hasp to our hull and use a ss combination lock which passes the inspection by the US CG, I've been checked twice in 2 years. Good luck
Old 05-05-2012, 12:19   #27

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Time to return to the bucket !! Simple and always works !! just my 2 cents
Old 05-05-2012, 12:42   #28

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

How does your wife or girlfriends feel about a buckett

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: