Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 10:06   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Can someone identify this thermostat part?

It extends off of the thermostat housing. There is a temperature sensor in the top of the housing so i dont think its a temp sensor. I assume its an air bleed valve because its at the end and highest point of the fresh water cooling loop and the manuals mentioning opening an air bleed valve. I cant find a picture of it in the parts diagram.

Its completely frozen shut so i was considering replacing it and adding a new air bleed valve but just want to be sure it serves no critical function before i deep six it.

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat 2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	193660[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat 1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	193659  
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:20   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Can someone identify this thermostat part?

Looks like an old temperature or oil pressure sensor that someone used to plug the end of the pipe. Probably a temporary fix that became permanent.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:26   #3
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Looks like an old temperature or oil pressure sensor that someone used to plug the end of the pipe. Probably a temporary fix that became permanent.
Ah that might be what happened because it appears they used epoxy on the threads to seal it when they installed it.
Old 10-06-2019, 14:58   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Definitely old temp switch. Marked 200F.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 15:26   #5
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Definitely old temp switch. Marked 200F.
cool thanks for help. now i just have to figure out what the threads are to order new parts.
Old 10-06-2019, 15:59   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Could be a temp switch for an alarm or shutdown, but if you're not using it, who cares?

Looks suspiciously like Volvo green; if so, the threads are metric and you might have a little difficulty, if you're in a small town in the US, finding the right plug to replace the sender/switch. Easier (probably) to remove the adapter as well and replace it with a plug or bleed valve, which looks like it's standard 3/4 NPT. If it turns out to be metric pipe thread, oh well, you're back to the same problem...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 21:04   #7
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Could be a temp switch for an alarm or shutdown, but if you're not using it, who cares?

Looks suspiciously like Volvo green; if so, the threads are metric and you might have a little difficulty, if you're in a small town in the US, finding the right plug to replace the sender/switch. Easier (probably) to remove the adapter as well and replace it with a plug or bleed valve, which looks like it's standard 3/4 NPT. If it turns out to be metric pipe thread, oh well, you're back to the same problem...
Thanks Jim. No thats green corrosion. The fittings all look to be cast bronze or copper. i cant tell the difference. the insides have the color of an old copper penny

i measured it at 1.05" o.d. which matches the o.d. of a 3/4 NPT thread so you may be right. I think a trip to Home Depot is in order to confirm the thread. Unfortunately i cant get any of the fittings off yet so may just have to replace the entire section to add in a bleeder valve.

One of the fittings has NIBCO stamped on it and barely visible. Looks to be a good company with high quality fitting so looks like i will replace with their fittings. and they have bronze vent elbows...hallelujah.