Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 15:36   #16
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Re: Camec front loading washing machine

OK, that got weird very quickly.

I really don't want to go to the local laundromat/washing-river to "pick up". I'm kinda liking the single life.

Just don't want to end up looking and smelling like a single guy.

Matt

Old 01-04-2019, 15:44   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
My boat came with one when I bought it. Never used it, quickly pulled it out, sold it to a second hand outlet, and have not replaced it...frankly, don't miss it.

The one you mentioned is for RVs and probably won't hold up too long in a salt water environment. The one I got rid of was rusted a well and that would be my chief recommendation...is it manufactured and warranted for the marine environment.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Hmmm.... that's ominous. Any idea how old it was?

Old 01-04-2019, 16:30   #18

Boat: Custom Perry Passport 41, steel

Few months ago got invited on a cat, they had a Aldi special, twin tub bought for Au$99. Think it was like this model.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DEVANTi-...frcectupt=true

They descibed using SW for maybe wash and rinse, final rinse in FW. May work as lots of plastic.
Old 01-04-2019, 17:39   #19

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hmmm.... that's ominous. Any idea how old it was?

Our boat came with a Camec that was bought new in 2014. It seems in very good shape and no visible corrosion inside the cabinet. Itís shelf mounted in an interior wardrobe (we are a catamaran though).

We only use the cold wash cycles and usually water saver and it uses between 29 and 60-odd litres per wash. If youíve got the capacity in your tanks you can run it without a watermaker.

Another great use is to spin towels and other articles that are damp - it removes most water from them for better drying. We often rinse sheets and towels in a fresh water bucket then spin to freshen them, between proper washes.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 18:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
Few months ago got invited on a cat, they had a Aldi special, twin tub bought for Au$99. Think it was like this model.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DEVANTi-...frcectupt=true

They descibed using SW for maybe wash and rinse, final rinse in FW. May work as lots of plastic.
Thanks mate, that is VERY tempting. The washing machine is sitting lower on my list of priorities and may get bumped if I hit a budget problem, so that would be a good fallback. And I have a watermaker, albeit a slow one, plus plenty of fresh water capacity, so it could be done.
Old 01-04-2019, 18:07   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Our boat came with a Camec that was bought new in 2014. It seems in very good shape and no visible corrosion inside the cabinet. Itís shelf mounted in an interior wardrobe (we are a catamaran though).

We only use the cold wash cycles and usually water saver and it uses between 29 and 60-odd litres per wash. If youíve got the capacity in your tanks you can run it without a watermaker.

Another great use is to spin towels and other articles that are damp - it removes most water from them for better drying. We often rinse sheets and towels in a fresh water bucket then spin to freshen them, between proper washes.
Thank you for the ideas. It sounds like the Camec is working well for you and holding up ok. Every cat I have been on was very dry inside, which probably helps. My old mono is pretty dry generally, so I reckon it has as good a chance of lasting ok.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:37   #22

I installed one of these in 2015 in a mono and have used it at anchor often. It was the only size I could fit other than the cheap toys. So far no problem and it washes very well even on short 30min cycle. It seems to spend a lot of time doing little in the wash program and with a low water level but does a great job. I have installed it in such a way that even inverted it won't go anywhere. No rust either but I am careful not to get salt water on it. It won't run on a square wave inverter though so have been running off a Honda 2.0 gen. A true sine wave would probably work. I have a watermaker though so water no problem. I would definitely buy another. See picture.
Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-04-02-19-34-00.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	189212  
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:56   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by elandra65 View Post
I installed one of these in 2015 in a mono and have used it at anchor often. It was the only size I could fit other than the cheap toys. So far no problem and it washes very well even on short 30min cycle. It seems to spend a lot of time doing little in the wash program and with a low water level but does a great job. I have installed it in such a way that even inverted it won't go anywhere. No rust either but I am careful not to get salt water on it. It won't run on a square wave inverter though so have been running off a Honda 2.0 gen. A true sine wave would probably work. I have a watermaker though so water no problem. I would definitely buy another. See picture.
Andrew
Thank you Andrew, that is terrific news.

It's interesting that it seems to spend a lot of time doing very little, my full sized house model front loader was the same. I assume it is part of the water saving approach, lots of giving things time to soak.

Thank you also for the warning about the square wave inverter, I will keep that in mind. I SHOULD be ok with my current inverter, it's well within spec on paper, particularly if I don't heat the water, but I have learned to be skeptical when it comes to inverter powered appliances, now and then things just don't seem to work when the numbers say they should.

Your picture shows what a neat little addition it is to a boat's comforts.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by elandra65 View Post
I installed one of these in 2015 in a mono and have used it at anchor often. It was the only size I could fit other than the cheap toys.
If you don't mind me asking for reference, what make and size boat are you on?
Old 02-04-2019, 21:27   #25

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
'Native ladies' ? Are they AKA 'Tasmanian sheilas' down your way.....?
I'm old enough to remember women washing clothes by hand whilst the whites boiled in a "copper" but I doubt if there's a female on this entire continent, or it's island possessions, who could be induced to do laundry by hand. It's buy me a machine or take it home to your mother mate down here.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 16:50   #26

The problem with putting stuff on a boat is that then it has to be maintained in working order.

Biggest bust up I have ever seen in a marina involved a non working washing machine on a big cat..... wasn't she giving him heaps..... 'how do you expect me to live on a yacht with no working washing machine' etc etc... maximum pitch and volume....

Shortly thereafter the skipper sought protection under the Red Ensign... we had to keep administering sedatives to the poor man for the rest of the day...

Why not do what the rest of us do.... scrub up on arrival... put on sunday best... take bag of laundry up to the local lavendaria ... give nice lady money....

It really is a lot more sensible.

At sea?

Well you know what they say ... 'nobody smells on a submarine'....

'whilst the whites boiled in a "copper" '

Where was that? The Andaman Islands????

A little bit about Chile http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 17:36   #27

Point noted about maintenance. But as a single guy Iíll only have to argue with myself if it breaks.

Of course I already argue with myself a fair bit so I may be adding to my problems.

I dunno, a certain cruising couple I know seem to have their life dictated by their washing plans. As recently as yesterday they were scheming to wash one particular item in much the same way NASA plans for planetary visits.

Itís not essential, but it is on my wish list.
Old 03-04-2019, 17:40   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Biggest bust up I have ever seen in a marina involved a non working washing machine on a big cat..... wasn't she giving him heaps..... 'how do you expect me to live on a yacht with no working washing machine' etc etc... maximum pitch and volume....

Interesting to note, yet again, that there seems to be a certain gender bias in the boating fraternity.

All she had to do was get HIM to do the washing and it would have been fixed in no time. Or fixed it herself.

Of course I can stand on my soap box because as a single guy I do both, no choice really.

But one day Iíll meet the lady of my dreams.

And SHE can fix stuff while I do the washing.
Old 03-04-2019, 17:43   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Interesting to note, yet again, that there seems to be a certain gender bias in the boating fraternity.

All she had to do was get HIM to do the washing and it would have been fixed in no time. Or fixed it herself.

Of course I can stand on my soap box because as a single guy I do both, no choice really.

But one day Iíll meet the lady of my dreams.

And SHE can fix stuff while I do the washing.
Ladies from a certain continent are 'high maintenance'.... I think his job description was fix and wash.....

A little bit about Chile http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 18:25   #30

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Hi Ping n Matt, just did a couple of loads in the Daewoo Front Loader W in charge of machine then K hangs out washing. All good. Hate laundromats. The daewoo has no metal parts other than stainless tub so no worries with corrosion.
So how many pairs of jeans or other heavy weight cotton clothes do you have aboard Matt n Ping?

Tags
loa, washing