Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2009, 08:47   #16

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
The Webasto on our (new to us...) boat draws about 15 amps...feels like a lot. is that what others have observed? What does the Espar draw?
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 09:49   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
15 amps continuously, or when the glow plug is operating? You should be able to see the specified draw in your user manual.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHNTR111 View Post
The Webasto on our (new to us...) boat draws about 15 amps...feels like a lot. is that what others have observed? What does the Espar draw?
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 13:15   #18

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
That might be the problem...no fuel, because the fan runs and there is no heat produced. I checked the manual, and the draw is measured in watts. If there is no fuel to the glow plug, I guess it stays lit, since there is no combustion. It would have been nice if the manual had pointed that uout, makes a lot of sense.
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 14:14   #19

There should be default codes on the little black box...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 14:52   #20

Boat: Irwin 40
What every you use, it needs to be rated for marine use and have ventilation if it uses fossil fuel. I lost a good friend to CO poisoning years ago while he was using a propane heater designed for an RV. This is not something to fool around with. He went to sleep and simply never woke up If you have shore power I would recommend a reverse cycle AC unit. Very safe and work well. Anyone using a heater that burns anything should have a working CO monitor and check it often. You may not get a second chance, if you have ever seen a friend carried out of his boat in a body bag you would understand.

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 15:17   #21

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Just curious...Why would you go for a Webasto forced air over a Hydronic system?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 15:56   #22

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I would second the vote for forced air, diesel. Have a Wallas Forced Air Diesel Heater which I have had for 15 years. None of these units is maintenance free. In that time I have learned to rebuild mostly everything on it. They are very simple devices and really make cruising a lot more comfortable and extend the season when it gets cool in places like San Francisco. Here in Maine it I consider it essential. I even used it to dry out the boat when I spent a couple years in Central America. Toasty and Dry.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 06:46   #23

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
I have both a Webasto Hydronic system and a Dickenson Antartic and like them both. The Antartic is a great heat but on a boat my size tends to overheat the main saloon while the cabins and the head stay cool to cold. The Webasto draws power but heats the water in the water tank and by routing the hoses through the various lockers helps with keeping the boat warm and dry. I had the small Espar hydronic on our Catalina 38 and it worked well by running the hoses under the floor. It was amasing how much warmer the boat felt with a warm fiberglass floor.
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 07:35   #24

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
I think most would agree that given the space and $$, an installed forced air or hydronic (each have their advantages) is the ideal way to go.

The poster asked for opinions on three cabin heaters. When we purchased ours, we researched the advantages of diesel vs. propane, as well as the various size/btu outputs. For us, we chose the Dickenson P1200 (propane) for our Tayana 37. No regrets. It draws combustion air from the outside and vents to the outside. No contribution to moisture. Just good dry heat. We cruised in the Pacific NW all year round... even below freezing outside, we could keep the cabin at 70 degrees. A key for us was to keep a couple of fans on, to circulate the air. Even though the Dickenson has an internal fan, we use a small fan to the side of the stove circulating air around the stove and chimney area. A second fan (used sometimes) just to move air forward to the v-berth area.

We enjoy the ambience of the visible flame. Creates a 'home-like' feeling down below... even better with the kerosene lantern burning on low.

As a side benefit, my wife used to use the fireplace as a hair dryer (not now... we're in Mexico and a bit too hot).

I like the fact that we can leave the fireplace on all night (yes, our boat is equipped with propane, CO, and smoke detectors), and with the fans off, it draws no electrical power.... and minimum power with fans on.

A pic of our installation is here: http://sailvictoriarose.com/images/C...%20Reading.jpg

Best of luck on your research and final choice of heaters.

Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 12:53   #25

Boat: Sceptre 36
We have a Dickenson propane fireplace. Love it. No current draw, burns outside air, works very well in 36' boat. Just make sure you mount it low. Also had Dickenson diesel fireplace. Cranks out more heat than propane but a bit finnicky to light.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 15:27   #26

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Rex (or others) - Did you find the Dickenson Diesel Fireplace had much of a diesel smell in the cabin, or was it not an issue?
I have a large diesel tank, and smallish propane tank, so leaning that way!
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 16:17   #27

Boat: Sceptre 36
No smell that I remember. Only issue was lighting it, had to do it right or smell or carbon issues. Do not know if the newer ones have the double wall chimney like the propane ones but the diesel put out about 13,000 btu. Turned my 30' into a sauna very quickly.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin