Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What head is best -& can handle 4 persons for 4-5 days with out change or smell
C Head - 13 40.63%
Natures Head 13 40.63%
Air Head 7 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2015, 19:06   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: C-Head, Natures Head or Air Head- which is best overall

Well, I guess I'll be signing off this thread now. Too bad it's taken this turn. I'm happy to share what I've learned as a very pleased NH owner. PM me.

As for the silly discussion, from my research I'd say NH and AH are essential the same, with small differences in size, space and cost. CH sets itself apart by using standard bottles, being less expensive, and by being smaller in capacity. I prefer the larger capacity, which to me is an important factor, but CH appears every bit as good as the other two.
Old 22-05-2015, 19:21   #47
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Well, I guess I'll be signing off this thread now. Too bad it's taken this turn. I'm happy to share what I've learned as a very pleased NH owner. PM me.

As for the silly discussion, from my research I'd say NH and AH are essential the same, with small differences in size, space and cost. CH sets itself apart by using standard bottles, being less expensive, and by being smaller in capacity. I prefer the larger capacity, which to me is an important factor, but CH appears every bit as good as the other two.
Sorry to see you sign of Mike as you are one of the experienced composter users. I think the Airhead and Natureshead are probably matched in quality but to me the Natureshead is a lot more user friendly. I think the C-Head is the same quality as the others but does have a reduced capacity. I wish I could figure out how to post a video I took of dumping the solids from a C-Head. The video was 17 seconds long, that was from opening the head to completing the dumping which makes it ready to load up with the peat moss again. Very user friendly.
Attached Files
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 19:38   #48

Boat: Homemade plywood catamaran houseboat, 49'

You are absolutely right, Mike. This business of "mine is far superior to yours" IS silly. I heartily endorse the right of a purchaser to find his choice satisfactory, but must it be to the denigration of the alternatives? I am just happy there IS a good choice.
Indeed, a larger capacity would be quite worthwhile in some cases, maybe with a larger crew. Going a week or even a month between emptying the main container works fine for just the two of us, and dumping a gallon jug of pee in the next marina toilet has less stink-potential than saving it for several days. I like that, but it's just me. By the same token, I didn't want a larger quantity of solid waste to deal with, when emptying the C-Head turned out to be so effortless. Very different needs, I think.

I agree that the AirHead/NaturesHead model has merits, and further submit that the C-Head also has merits, not entirely overlapping. To flatly claim with no evidence at all that the less expensive, smaller unit is somehow faulty or shoddy seems dishonorable.

"You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts." Sen. Daniel P. Moynahan
Reiheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 06:25   #49

Space, size and cost are important factors, face it theses are just buckets with a stir stick. We selected NH because it didn't have a seat. Getting your butt pinched (seat slide) when using on the heal is just not fun. Also the size for us full size people was a factor. We thought it look more rugged also, not much difference.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 14:01   #50
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

It would appear there's been experienced poopers reporting in, plus a bit of poopaganda. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a good, in depth article comparing the full range of composters, and in detail?
Well.... there is:

https://letterstocreationists.wordpr...lobal-commode/

I for one - as a former marketing maven - can tell you that price and quality do not necessarily go in hand. Great design and function don't have to cost more. With this I quote:

Quote:
Urine is collected in a standard one-gallon plastic jug. Solids go into a 5-gallon (20 liter) bucket, partly filled with peat moss or similar material. The C-head is stirred after use, but the agitator action is different from the other two toilets. The agitator is a small, single-bladed sloped paddle rotating on a vertically-oriented shaft. Rather than mashing the feces, this agitator mainly stirs the peat moss and turns it over, coating the feces and forming them into 2-3 inch spheres whose surface quickly dries out to minimize odors. This form-factor of the solid waste can be advantageous in disposal. Unlike any of the other composting toilets discussed here, the C-Head does not necessarily need a ventilation hose hook-up. Thus, it can be easily moved around.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head