Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 09:28   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Buying RO Alkaline cleaner

I ran out of my organic growth (alkaline) cleaner. Can someone post a link to order some more? Mine was in a powder form.
I found that if I add few tablespoons into a 7 gal jug of product water, and use that to flush the watermaker after every use, this would keep the smell from coming back. I take out pre-filters during flushing. I make water every 7-10 days and i was getting the smell regularly.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 13:53   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Buying RO Alkaline cleaner

95% of the time the hydrogen sulfide smell (bio-fouling) starts in the pre-filters. By removing the pre-filters from the flush cycle when using an alkaline cleaner (which should be used sparingly) or just regular flushing you are not getting at the real problem. You might also want to think about a more frequent flushing cycle than your water making cycle. Try flushing every three to four days using a little less water than normal, this might help. Some areas are prone to quicker bio-growth than others depending on temperature and the condition of the water you are floating in.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 05:35   #3

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
95% of the time the hydrogen sulfide smell (bio-fouling) starts in the pre-filters. By removing the pre-filters from the flush cycle when using an alkaline cleaner (which should be used sparingly) or just regular flushing you are not getting at the real problem. You might also want to think about a more frequent flushing cycle than your water making cycle. Try flushing every three to four days using a little less water than normal, this might help. Some areas are prone to quicker bio-growth than others depending on temperature and the condition of the water you are floating in.
I've been told for years that having a WM is pain in the axx. I keep refusing to believe it but it really is. Thanks for the tip. Water in the northeast is very bad. A brand new 30 micron pre-filter is dark green after a 3 hour run.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 05:37   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
I've been told for years that having a WM is pain in the axx. I keep refusing to believe it but it really is.
This is probably related to location. We hardly give our watermaker a second thought and it needs very little attention. But we are in clear tropical waters.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:30   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

As Mark states above, location is a big deal. I always try to emphasize to people that watermakers are really an off shore piece of equipment. I see more problem watermakers than most people ever will and at times wonder myself. But for every problem unit there are hundreds out there that tick along just fine. The biggest problem is usually owner lack of care and willingness to understand how to properly maintain and operate their unit. Watermakers do require a bit higher level of understanding and maintenance than most boat systems do. Just getting people to understand which watermaker they really need is an adventure in itself. Also if you are not already using one, I would suggest you have a 5-Micron filter pre-filter in line as well.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying