Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 19:47   #16

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Thanks all - I truly appreciate all of the information and suggestions. The McMaster fitting won't go through the cabin top or cabin sides on our Ingrid - neither will the Trident I don't think. Our cabin top is 3/4" thick and the cabin sides are 1 1/2" thick! The fitting that Boracay shows is probably what I would have ended up using.
I think that David M has what I was hoping to find:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Here are some examples of bulkhead fittings. There are a whole slew of different types and sizes.

David - the two brass fittings that you show are what I was hoping to find. I think that if nothing else, it is nicer to be able to remove a line from the bulkhead fitting rather than having the line run all the way through.
Where can I find these two fittings? I have looked at local supply houses but they look at me like I am from a different planet so far.

Thanks again all for the ideas and suggestions!

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 19:54   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Your welcome clausont. Where I found these images was by looking through Google Images. The search word was "bulkhead fitting". You can right click on the image and then select Properties to get the URL that the image comes from.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 20:57   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I agree with David M...That's the right way to do propane.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 21:18   #19

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Coast Gaurd Approved

I was under the impresion that propane installations required an unbroken line from the locker to the appliance for each appliance. That was according to the surveyor who inspected my boat before I bought it anyway. Was he in error or is it just not seriously enforced?
Old 10-11-2009, 23:54   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Unbroken line...

I believe the unbroken line (in NSW, Australia this would be plastic coated copper tube) to be essential.

My understanding is that joints inside the boat should only be at the cock just before the appliance and at the appliance.

I would expect the joints to be the weakest point.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:37   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
If an unbroken line is required - my understanding too - and the Trident fitting is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont View Post
Thanks all - I truly appreciate all of the information and suggestions. The McMaster fitting won't go through the cabin top or cabin sides on our Ingrid - neither will the Trident I don't think. Our cabin top is 3/4" thick and the cabin sides are 1 1/2" thick! The fitting that Boracay shows is probably what I would have ended up using.
I think that David M has what I was hoping to find:

David - the two brass fittings that you show are what I was hoping to find. I think that if nothing else, it is nicer to be able to remove a line from the bulkhead fitting rather than having the line run all the way through.
Where can I find these two fittings? I have looked at local supply houses but they look at me like I am from a different planet so far.

Thanks again all for the ideas and suggestions!
too short, glue it in. Even if it gets stuck and needs replaced, it will come out easily with a hole saw. The hole saw is guided in the space between the FRP and the fitting. I have done this before without difficulty.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
I was under the impresion that propane installations required an unbroken line from the locker to the appliance for each appliance. That was according to the surveyor who inspected my boat before I bought it anyway. Was he in error or is it just not seriously enforced?
The surveyor is correct. ABYC requires a continuous line.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:07   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Our surveyor required a continuous line once inside the cabin. I think it can have a connection in the cockpit locker (if separated from the cabin by a bulkhead). Correct me if I am wrong Jack.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Our surveyor required a continuous line once inside the cabin. I think it can have a connection in the cockpit locker (if separated from the cabin by a bulkhead). Correct me if I am wrong Jack.
Yes, you will likely have a fitting or two in the propane locker. One from the tank to the pressure gauge and one to the solenoid. That is OK. If you have a solid propane line, there will be a fitting to the flex hose that permits the stove to gimbal. That is also OK.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 14:57   #25

Boat: Triangle 32, center-cockpit ketch
Re: Bulkhead Fitting for Propane Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Piping or tubing that has fluids fluids running through them are not really supposed to have the pipe or tube run through the bulkhead. The pipe or tube is supposed to connect to a bulkhead fitting which is tightened down making it securely attached to the bulkhead. On the other side of the bulkhead, you are supposed to connect another pipe or tube to the bulkhead fitting.

Its pretty much a BS way of doing it by running a pipe or tubing through the bulkhead then putting sealant around it where it touches the bulkhead. First of all, you may negate the purpose of a watertight bulkhead and second, pipes expand and contract in relation to the bulkhead, causing a wearing effect on the sealant which might eventually wear through the pipe or tubing.

Here are some examples of bulkhead fittings. There are a whole slew of different types and sizes.

David, I agree with you that bulkhead fittings are the "right" way to go, but the two you have pictured are hydraulic fittings, so wouldn't meet the ABYC standards (if that is one's intention.)
kjdavie01 is offline   Reply With Quote