Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2012, 16:50   #1

Hi everyone, I just bought a Cal 20 that is in great shape, apart from the pump on the brydon boy toilet. It barely works, and is very seized. Lol could handle a #1 but a #2 would be pushing it. Are there any replacement pumps available? The hoses and bowl are in great shape, only the pump is problematic. From what I could find most people recommend ripping out the whole thing and putting a new one in. I am on a tight budget, so the cheapest option would be best for me.

My other concern is trying to find a new toilet if I have to, as it is quite a small space in the Cal 20 and I'm not sure what would or wouldn't work.

Edit:

Upon further research it looks like I might as well get a new jabsco for around 150$. Any chance a new model would fit on the old brydon boy bracket? Would make things much easier and cheaper.

Thanks
islander20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 12:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Brydon Boy replacement?

The Brydon Boy was a PAR/Jabsco toilet made in Canada in the late 70's-early 80s under a licensing agreement with Jabsco. Brydon went out of business sometime between 1980-1985...which means yours has to be at least 30 years old, so it 's not surprising that it's completely worn out.

Today's Jabsco toilets are no longer anyhere near that durable...they're made to be "disposable" now, with an average lifespan of only a year or two (like just about everything else today). If your bowl seat and lid are still in good shape, you should only need to buy a new pump.

The only high quality durable compact manual toilet still made in in the US is the Raritan PHC (compact version of the PH II, which has been rated best manual toilet in its class for nearly 3 decades). Raritan PHC
It'll last at least 20 years with minimal maintenance. You can buy the "conversion"--everything but the bowl seat and lide--for about twice the price of a Jabsco. And btw, the PHC will fit in the same space as your Brydon/Jabsco.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 20:01   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Unbolt the pump from the base. One of the bits will be an elbow. Make up an adaptor out of half inch nylon or similar to bolt the elbow to the flange where the pump once sat. Buy a whale gusher pump or similar and pipe it to the elbow and your outlet hose. Add another small diaphragm pump to supply the flush water.
This will give you a bulletproof and fool proof system which will last for years (our conversion is 25 yrs old now).
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 20:26   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you want to stick with a manual toilet, do what Peggy said. You also have the option to switch to an electric toilet. I think Peggy would recommend the Raritan Sea Era conversion kit. The Sea Era also gives you the option to convert to a fresh water flush if you want to. Sea Era Conversion Kit - 16LI012
I shipped one of these to Australia not long ago. We sent it by Priority Mail and the postage wasn't too bad. I think it took about ten days to arrive.

Hi Peggy! "If your bowl seat and lid are still in good shape, you should only need to buy a new pump." Is the hole pattern on the current Jabsco pumps the same or would he need a new base as well?

If he has to buy a new base as well as a pump, that reduces the price difference between the Jabsco and the PHC Conversion.
Old 24-07-2012, 06:56   #5

Thanks for all the reply's! I managed to score a 12V Jabsco toilet with a new macerator for 200. Now I just have to figure out how to power it. Hoping two 12V in parallel will get the job done. If that's unreasonable i'll have to resell it and try one of your suggestions.
islander20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 07:31   #6
Marine Service Provider

If it's a sea water toilet, it draws 15a...unless it it's one of those gawdawful 29020 "conversions." If it is, it draws 24 amps, will choke on just about anything except liquids, and makes enough noise to wake the dead.

If that's not enough to convince you to return it...no matter what make/model electric toilet, it should be on its on dedicated circuit, with its own breaker, shared by nothing else...'cuz anything else on the same circuit that's on at the same time will reduce the power to both the toilet and whatever that is...and low voltage to electric motors is the best way to send 'em to an early grave.

READ--and FOLLOW!--THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS! If you don't have 'em, google your model and download 'em from the Jabsco site. If you don't understand something, ask questions instead of guessing...'cuz it's always cheaper and easier to do it right the first time than it is to do it over.

HOp, I dunno whether today's pump lines up with the holes on the BB base or not...but the right drill bit in a hand that knows how to use a power drill can solve that problem.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote