She is back at the dock
safe and sound.
I decided not to take any proactive actions. Not knowing the condition of the metal meant that hammering a plug
could have made things worse. If things went bad, Plan A was rescue
tape. Plan B plug
inside and block. Plan C plug outside. Plan D diaper the outside with a sail. Fortunately, I did not have to use any of the plans.
All seacocks are turned off when I leave the boat, so they are exercised regularly. This looks like a case of 32 years of corrosion
taking it's toll.
It seems all SIX through hull
fittings were installed the same way. Apparently that was the standard when this Tartan was built... Kinda shocks me too. Also disappointed that the surveyor
did not say anything 18 months ago when I bought her.
Right now Cynosure is "red tagged" and out of service
until I figure out if I am going to write a healthy check or arrange a haulout at a DIY yard and spend a weeks vacation
Thanks again for all the inputs. CF rocks!!!