We removed all of the toilet system. Blackwater tank vent was blocked, now clean. All effluent goes to the black tank and pumped out at marina or pumped overboard
. The blackwater tank had sat for some time near full, and the contents had co-agulated to an unpumpable sludge. The boatyard cleaned and flushed the tank and now we will flush and pump at the end of each outing. You could smell the boat 100 mtr down wind
. The out pump had some crap (literally) in the mechanism which has been cleared, now working well. The in flush pump pressure is controlled to a large extent by seal at the top of the pump. With little pressure, the pump works easily but leaks
. Tighten up and it does not leak but pressure is too hard. We are replacing the seals
. While we were at it, we replaced all hoses and found the anti syphon valve had a crack. Now replaced, we have no discernable smell.
The mechanism in the out pump is so basic it almost can't go wrong if not jammed. We have gone to a less bulky toilet paper, and pump dry when only pee is in the tank. We have solved
our entire system at great pain and expense, but it was worth it.