Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 12:21   #16

Boat: Sold our 1974 27' Ericson
Re: Bilge Pump and Check Valves

Luckily, our boat is super dry. Only water we really have to worry about is from our incredibly inefficient fridge dripping ice melt into the bilge. Here in the Keys, we go through a 20lb. bag of ice daily! We have a manual bilge already on the boat, which has (for the time being) saved our boat from already becoming fish apartments. Hurricane season in the Keys is lightly a match under our ass to get the boat securely ready for a tropical storm. Investing $200 for some decent pumps is good insurance for our multi-million dollar yacht. And by multi-million, I mean $15k. A girl's gotta start somewhere!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:58   #17

Some bilge pumps come with check valve inbuilt. Otherwise Whale manufactures a line check valve. The valve is similar to the one they install in their manual pump. If using two bilge pumps each must have its own discharge line. In a common line check valves are required to prevent one pump pumping back to the bilge through the other pump.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 14:00   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my 2200 gph pump has a loop to deck level...... works well. form0sas dont heel that far, unless a maniac is at helm.. then fun begins..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 21:11   #19

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Some bilge pumps come with check valve inbuilt. Otherwise Whale manufactures a line check valve. The valve is similar to the one they install in their manual pump. If using two bilge pumps each must have its own discharge line. In a common line check valves are required to prevent one pump pumping back to the bilge through the other pump.
What about a 3-way ball valve installed b'twn the pump & the in-line check valve? This set-up would only be for having a backup pump at the ready in the event of a failure (vs. having a primary & secondary potentially running at the same time).
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31   #20

I suggest a check valve, but make a small hole in the outlet of the pump. This allows the pump to bleed air, otherwise, the pump may not be able to prime and develop enough pressure to push the valve open.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:49   #21
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

my rule 1000 handled a check valve with 1" hose fine .. never a problem. water exited the boat above waterline so no siphon problems either.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump