Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2015, 18:17   #1

Boat: Tartan 40
Best water purification filters?

Hi everyone-

Does anyone have an opinion on the best post tank water treatment system? I am thinking of plumbing to my foot pump at galley so we can use for drinking, coffee, cooking. Straight tank water is fine for washing, dishes, cleaning, etc.
Currently we carry bottled water on board but due to kids being young we haven't gone for more than a couple of weeks so far. Would be nice to be able to use the water we already bring on board.

I already use a clean hose and post-hose filter.

Defender has a variety of filter with varying prices. Is it worth spending the money on a General Ecology system which claims to be best?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 05:31   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Best water purification filters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Hi everyone-

Does anyone have an opinion on the best post tank water treatment system? I am thinking of plumbing to my foot pump at galley so we can use for drinking, coffee, cooking. Straight tank water is fine for washing, dishes, cleaning, etc.
Currently we carry bottled water on board but due to kids being young we haven't gone for more than a couple of weeks so far. Would be nice to be able to use the water we already bring on board.

I already use a clean hose and post-hose filter.

Defender has a variety of filter with varying prices. Is it worth spending the money on a General Ecology system which claims to be best?

We prefilter water through a (normally) undersink canister filter before introducing it to our tanks and, aboard, have two separate filters. The first, a Pentek, that filters all of the water as it is drawn from the tanks. The second, a General Ecology filter attached to a separate counter faucet that we use for water that will be consumed. The General Ecology filter--AKA "Seagull"--makes a definite difference/improvement in the taste/smell of the water. It is likely that one could match the performance of the GE with another unit using similar activated charcoal cartridges but that will require some extensive research.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 05:34   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The Seagull is the most widely used filter for this purpose. I have one.

It works extremely well and filters so finely that it is supposed to get rid of most microorganisms, almost like RO.

It is also extremely expensive, especially the proprietary elements. Whether it is worth it or not, everyone will have to decide for himself. All water we drink or cook with goes through this filter, so for myself, I grudgingly accept the cost. Certainly, it is much cheaper and more convenient than lugging bottled water (ugh).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 05:53   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

The only certainty with water filters is you don't know/can't rely on mfg marketing to determine efficacy. As an example, the Seagull filters don't describe filter mechanisms other than make some great claims. The so-called independent testing, for which the company pays, reports much of the results as "ND" meaning no data. The typical lab report would state 'below detection limit' but their's doesn't do that making their efficacy claims dubious.

Absent credible data, the best thing one can do is choose the largest filter (meaning longest retention time) and not drink it copiously or repeatedly.

Most filters can remove some obnoxious odors and taste but generally they are only useful for making folks feel good by creating the appearance of filtration.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 05:55   #5

We have found that avoiding filling from small well water well water systems, and seeking water from larger municipal systems is even more important than filtration. We also do filtration as we fill the tank, and as it is withdrawn from the tank. Charcoal filter cartridges are best, but are more costly.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 06:10   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
The only certainty with water filters is you don't know/can't rely on mfg marketing to determine efficacy. As an example, the Seagull filters don't describe filter mechanisms other than make some great claims. The so-called independent testing, for which the company pays, reports much of the results as "ND" meaning no data. The typical lab report would state 'below detection limit' but their's doesn't do that making their efficacy claims dubious.

Absent credible data, the best thing one can do is choose the largest filter (meaning longest retention time) and not drink it copiously or repeatedly.

Most filters can remove some obnoxious odors and taste but generally they are only useful for making folks feel good by creating the appearance of filtration.
Ah... With all due respect...The General Ecology performance testing results can be viewed at http://www.generalecologycanada.com/...agull_Data.pdf. Note that the "ND" that appears in the data Does Not mean "No Data" but rather "None Detected" with the minimum detectable level ("Detection Level") reported in the adjoining column. If a given contaminate is below the Detection Level (e.g. 1 ppm), it cannot be detected and hence is reported as "None Detected". The test standard and protocol used was NSF 53 which is pretty rigorous. As a practical matter, the water coming out of the GE filter is far superior to the supposedly potable water supplied in most municipal water systems for home use.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 06:26   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Caroline Shearlock (author of “The Boat Galley Cookbook”) wrote a good article on water filtration.
Here ➥ Water Filtration on a Boat

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 06:37   #8

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

We use the Seagull filter and are very happy with it. Before we had boats, I had an RV version of that filter in our toy hauler, so I have years of experience with it. The tanks in the RV were plastic and left a plastic smell and taste in the water. I tried cheaper filters, including a carbon block one that came with the trailer, and the only filter that got rid of this problem was the General Ecology one. Yes, it's overpriced, but if you want bottled water quality, i couldn't find an alternative.
Old 26-05-2015, 07:03   #9

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Check out SafeH2O. We have one and use our tank water all the time for everything. We went on a cruise from Kentucky Lake to Florida with water from a lot of different sources and relied on it the entire time. Without it, I would have been very concerned about water quality away from our home marina. It works for up to 3GPM (our Jabsco is 2.8 GPM) and I have the 12 volt 500 model with two filters and UV between my tank and manifold, so my whole boat is through this system. Approx cost is $235 I think and an annual replacement of filters and the uv light is $53. We have been very pleased with performance and cost. I have it tied electrically to my water pump, so if the pump has power, so does the uv light.

J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 08:18   #10

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Ya Need to Kill the viruses!!! UV a must in addition to the filters.
I have this system <http://www.waterfixercompany.com/model1000.html>

Simple install, minimal current drain, dual filters. Russ
Old 26-05-2015, 08:37   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 36

What is the best way to flush your water tanks to get rid of the antifreeze taste and smell? I have a cape dory 36 and a 100 gallon tanks. I would prefer not to run the faucets, shower etc. and the water pump long enough to empty tanks.
KHJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 09:05   #12

Does anyone with Seagull filter use it with a foot pump? I am thinking of routing my fresh water foot pump at galley through the filter and then to the spigot at the sink for us to use for drinking/cooking water. This way we always have drinking water even with loss of electricity.

I guess my questions are:
1. Does a foot pump generate enough pressure to use the filter?
2. The filter installs downstream of foot pump, correct? (pressure rather than suction, right?)
Old 26-05-2015, 09:07   #13

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Great discussion on filtration, including very affordable alternatives to General Ecology:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-127876.html

See particularly post #2.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 09:44   #14

Boat: csy 37

After a lot of researching water filters I decided on this one. They are very popular for RV's and widely available - I bought mine at Walmart for $16. They are expected to last a couple of thousand gallons but cheap enough to replace every couple of months. They are also easy to install; I just cut into my 3/4" supply line just past the pump and put 3/4" garden hose fittings on. The filter just screws right in. Easy peasy to replace. I tend to overchlorinate my tanks and this filter removes any trace chlorine.

Just one caveat. When you put a new one on, run water through it for a minute or so to flush out any loose carbon. You will see the water coming out of the tap turn from black to clear. Some users didn't read the instructions and thought the filter was faulty.

Camco Water Filter with Hose - Walmart.com
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 09:57   #15

That link was very helpful- Pentek filters for virus/bacterial reduction are same price as Seagull filters, but housings are much cheaper. Seems worth the tradeoff.

Anyone with differing opinions who has either used or found issues with Pentek filters? To be clear, I am comparing the below to the Seagull technology and wondering if equivalent. Again, filters are expensive, but the Seagull housing is really pricey...

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/Sp...ifications.pdf

Tags
water