Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-05-2015, 11:11   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Best water purification filters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
We have found that avoiding filling from small well water well water systems, and seeking water from larger municipal systems is even more important than filtration. We also do filtration as we fill the tank, and as it is withdrawn from the tank. Charcoal filter cartridges are best, but are more costly.

I have a similar system except for filtering before it goes into the tank, I use a Culligan whole house filter after the pump. I change the element in the spring when putting the system back in service after winterizing, I always fill the tank from a municipal water source and that is pretty easy to do on the upper Mississippi River.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 31-05-2015, 00:51   #47

Boat: Trisbal 36
Re: Best water purification filters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Not really drift.

The way to avoid ions is not removal, it is to stop tank corrosion. True?

The way to stop corrosion is to use only a minimal amount of a treatment that is non-corrosive (Aqua Mega):

This at 4x the required dose...

Vs. bleach at the normal dose.

Another thing to consider, if you feel the problem is too much chlorine in the tap water, is to de-chlorinate with hydrogen peroxide. Some folks mistakenly believe the peroxide is a sanitizing agent--it is not--but a cap full will eliminate the fee chlorine.

---

Full story in PS July, 2015.
Hi thinwater, thanks for your reply.

Of course, I totally agree about avoiding tank corrosion. Not only is it better for our health but also for the tank ! For this reason we do use a minimal amount of treatment. In fact when in a marina, as we know the water won't be sitting long, we don't add anything so as to minimise corrosion.

However, as you suggest, we have often felt that corrosion might be due to chlorinated water, which we thought we could not do anything about. So I am very interested about your suggestion to add hydrogen peroxide. That would be great.

However, before I start using this process, could you help me understand a bit more about the reaction : what are the products ? I suspect something like H2O2 + Cl- -> H2O + ??? Is there any production of chlorine gas (Cl2) ? Would that be in a sufficiently small quantity so that it is not toxic ? And does that change the pH of the water in any way ?

Also, in case I add too much H2O2, since it will remain in the water, is there any problem with ingesting it ?

Thanks a lot for any feedback, and thanks for the great suggestions.

Old 31-05-2015, 06:47   #48

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Thinwater, I read the first installment of your potable water tests in Practical Sailor today. Very impressive and thorough. I'm looking forward to the next two installments.

Based on your recommendations I think I'll start stocking the Shurflo and Watts filters you liked.

Greg, I'm the US distributor for Clean Tabs.
Link: Water Purification, Tank Cleaning
This is great- so I am clear:
Aqua Mega is what Thinwater found to be relatively safe for aluminum tanks.
You have Aqua Clean Mega tablets on your website. Is this the same product that Thinwater is touting?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-05-2015, 15:51   #49
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Thinwater is being tight lipped about his findings, as he should be. Practical Sailor magazine would be pretty mad if he spilled the beans before they could publish his findings. He did have Clean Tabs products, Puriclean and Mega Tabs, available to test.

I think he liked them but we won't know for sure until the July issue is published. Since we started talking about them, I've had a run on them and I'm out of stock. I expect more from England this week.
Old 31-05-2015, 17:07   #50
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle-isle View Post
However, before I start using this process, could you help me understand a bit more about the reaction : what are the products ? I suspect something like H2O2 + Cl- -> H2O + ??? Is there any production of chlorine gas (Cl2) ? Would that be in a sufficiently small quantity so that it is not toxic ? And does that change the pH of the water in any way ?

Also, in case I add too much H2O2, since it will remain in the water, is there any problem with ingesting it ?

Thanks a lot for any feedback, and thanks for the great suggestions.
The H2O2 oxidizes the chlorine and hypochlorous ion to chloride (like seawater, but only 1-2 ppm, not 22,000 ppm like seawater). No chlorine gas is generated, quite the opposite. With only 1-2 ppm reacted, there will be no pH change. H2O2 is virtually non-corrosive to aluminum; concentrated H2O2 is often stored in aluminum tanks.

High concentrations of H2O2 can be troublesome, but so long as you use only a cap full in a tank (3% drugstore stuff) you are very safe, at least 1000 times below any level of concern.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 18:57   #51

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned Katadyn products. As a guide I used the big expedition model hand pump with a ceramic filter for many years on commercial river trips. Specifically the bug we had to remove was giardia. The filter is good to .2 microns which covers everything except viruses. The pump itself is super strong (they say indestructible) and lasts for many years under rugged and constant use. The ceramic filter is easily cleaned (but also easily cracked if dropped, then it must be replaced. Store spares in a PVC pipe section.) So I bought one for my boat and other expeditionary needs, but still haven't been anywhere 3rd world enough to use it! If I ever come across a bacterium, protozoan or amoeba though, I am ready!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 20:33   #52

This far down the thread everyone has probably decided on what works for them. For what its worth here is how airlines handle the issue for their fleets that cover the world.

On periodic maintenance visits water systems are "super chlorinated". This means that they are filled with water that is at swimming pool levels of chlorine, and left for sufficient contact time to kill off any bugs. Then they are flushed with clean water, and filled with standard drinking water before reentering service. This process leaves it free of pathogens, and with no residual taste or chlorine smell.

I do this on my own boat before the season starts, and with care to avoid filing from marginal sources and by doing filtration we have had no problems with bugs or corrosion in our aluminum tanks over 18 years on our present boat.

In answer to an earlier post regarding how to drain the tank, I have a valve at the low point of the system that I temporarily connect an electrically driven pump and feeding a hose overboard that is capable of 800 GPH.

The whole process takes about one man-hour, but it should rest with hours of chlorine contact time to kill any bugs off.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:16   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Thinwater is being tight lipped about his findings, as he should be. Practical Sailor magazine would be pretty mad if he spilled the beans before they could publish his findings. He did have Clean Tabs products, Puriclean and Mega Tabs, available to test.

I think he liked them but we won't know for sure until the July issue is published. Since we started talking about them, I've had a run on them and I'm out of stock. I expect more from England this week.
Just a technical note. If these tablets are sodium dichloroisocyanurate as mentioned by Greg in previous post then this is a chlorine compound (note the "chloro" in the name) that releases the chlorine in a slow, steady rate.

The same chemical, sometimes referred to as sodium dichlor or just dichlor, is available in the US from most pool supply companies. However product from these sources might not be approved for drinking water use or in a form that dissolves at a rate safe for drinking water and tanks.
Old 01-12-2017, 16:14   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I realize this thread is a few years old however anyone interested in a water purification system should check out ACUVA. They make units specifically for marine use and smaller RV units.

https://acuvatech.com/products/
Old 01-12-2017, 18:53   #55

I'm new to sailing but have been in the water treatment business for 30+ years. Filters are a great place for bacteria to grow. Yes some can remove lots of different things, but the fiber and or carbon are a wonderful bedding for microbes to grow. We should be closing on our 1st sail boat in about a week. I plan on having a ultraviolet system on the output of my holing tank followed up with a carbon filter for taste and chlorine. Then plan to have it recirculate the water back to the holing tank every day or so to keep the tank bacT free. Don't shop marine stores for water treatment$$
Old 01-12-2017, 19:13   #56

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmws View Post
I'm new to sailing but have been in the water treatment business for 30+ years. Filters are a great place for bacteria to grow. Yes some can remove lots of different things, but the fiber and or carbon are a wonderful bedding for microbes to grow. We should be closing on our 1st sail boat in about a week. I plan on having a ultraviolet system on the output of my holing tank followed up with a carbon filter for taste and chlorine. Then plan to have it recirculate the water back to the holing tank every day or so to keep the tank bacT free. Don't shop marine stores for water treatment$$
Just so ya know..."holding" tanks usually refer to waste holding tanks...Im pretty sure thats not what you meant.
Old 01-12-2017, 20:49   #57

I read with interest Thinwater's post back in 2015 that Seagull had failed to keep up as they were not certified to the new NSF 53 standard. I switched to the Pentex Floplus 10 that is. It can be bought for $15. Fits in a standard filter housing and lasts many times longer than a Seagull filter.

Approximately once a month or anytime the boat has sat unused for over two weeks, I empty the tank completely. I then refill either with good municipal water through a hose filter or watermaker water. I then treat to 1ppm chlorine. Sometimes municipal water is already at that level. I use a pool test strip. If more is needed I add Sodium Dichlor sold as hot tub water treatment. A lifetime supply (1lb) can be bought for $6. 1/8-1/4 teaspoon per 100 gallons is usually enough. Has worked well for the last two years.

Would be interested in any suggestions from the experts as this has been trial and error for me.

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: